Author Topic: Need alot of advice  (Read 927 times)

Offline Tn Jim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Need alot of advice
« on: February 06, 2005, 05:57:13 AM »
I'm in the market for a concealed carry gun. I'm looking really hard at the Springfield Ultra Compact in 45 ACP. For the record, I was in the Army infantry for 10 years and carried a 1911 the whole time and I prefer it over any other design. Any opinions on the Springfield? Also can anyone recommend a comfortable IWB holster for it? In reading this forum I've noticed alot of you prefer smaller guns, but I've seen first hand what a 1911 and the 45ACP cartridge will do when needed and thats what I want to carry. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline Lawdog

Need alot of advice
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 10:44:36 AM »
Tn Jim,

In reading this forum I've noticed alot of you prefer smaller guns, but I've seen first hand what a 1911 and the 45ACP cartridge will do when needed and thats what I want to carry.

I agree with you completely.  I too carry a version of the 1911 in an inverted small of the back holster.  Hides well and fast to get at when needed.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Need alot of advice
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 03:51:58 PM »
Had the Ultra Compact for awhile and just could never get comfortable with it for some reason. Have full size and commander size (both Springfield) and like them a lot. Rear sight on the Ultra came loose the first time I shot it. Gun shop fixed it, but annoying. Mine was blued version and the bluing seemed very thin. Needed constant touch up at muzzle end just from holster wear. Other SA's are parkerized and the finish seems to be holding up well. Decent accuracy and reliable with bal and Silvertips (only ammo I shot in it).
Romans 8:38,39

Offline FWiedner

Need alot of advice
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 03:53:58 PM »
I carry a Kimber Eclipse Ultra II.  .45ACP, 3.5".  Easy to carry, reliable, shoots straight.  If you buy one new, it needs to be broken in.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/eclipse.php

I carry it in one of two holsters depending on the carry situation.

http://www.smartcarry.com/

http://www.pwlusa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=pwlusa&Product_Code=302&Category_Code=3
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline tablerock

Need alot of advice
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 10:59:50 AM »
Take a look at the Springfield Micro.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-mc.shtml

A little pricey, but as the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
Need alot of advice
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 09:20:56 PM »
Tn Jim,

I carry a 5" Kimber all the time, in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. It's very comfortable, and the optional kydex belt clips allow you to carry under a tucked in shirt.  The other item that you need is a GOOD belt. That 1 3/8 inch belt off the men's rack just won't cut it.

Something else that affects the comfort while carrying is your choice of clothing.  If you wear slippery synthetics instead of cotten or similar, the gun will have an easier time pulling your waistline down.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Need alot of advice
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 10:38:30 AM »
You seem to have a good handle on what you want to buy, gun wise.  I can't argue with it!  My favorite 1911 holster is a Blade-Tech IWB.  I like the holsters as they are very light weight yet hold their shape for easy re-holstering.  I even use it for IDPA.  I suggest that you buy one for a 5" 1911.  That puts the tip of the holster behind your hip pocket and holds everything in position very well.  And if you ever switch to a commander or 5" length, you do not have to buy a new holster every time.  I usually glue a thin piece of swade leather on the inside of all inside the waistband holsters.  It helps the holster grip your clothing so your pants are not as likely to slide south.  If you are built like a rain-barrel, it helps.  If you are one of the fortunate people who actually have hips, it will help keep your shirt in.  I also use the Blade-tech UCH which allows you to tuck you shirt in, but I don't have that style for the 1911, only for my Charter Bulldog and Kahr P9.  I'll buy whatever suits my fancy for a belt rig, but for an IWB concealment holster, everything is Blade-tech.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
Need alot of advice
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 07:17:30 AM »
Picked up the SA Ultra day before yesterday and got to put a box of Remington 230 FMJ through it last night. Also picked up a Chip McCormick 7 round mag. Both functioned flawlessly. Accuracy was a little better than I expected from a 3 1/2" barrel and recoil wasn't much worse than the EAA Witness P 9mm I sold to get the SA. I'm looking at a Don Hume PCCH IWB holster for it. Anybody have any experiance with the Hume leather or this particular holster? The price is right and the design is similar to a Milt Sparks Summer Special or a Galco Summer Comfort. I don't want to start a IWB holster collection. Thanks for the help.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline jmet2

Need a lot of advise
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 02:15:17 AM »
Lighter is better for conceal carry. If your carry gun is uncomfortable you probably won't wear it. Having your carry gun in the glove box kind of defeats the purpose. I carry an ultra lite titanium in .38spl. In a class I attended on conceal carry the instructor gave an interesting statistic. Most self defense shots are made at a distance of 20' or less. I shoot 25 rounds a month at the range to stay tuned up. I feel like I am as prepared as anyone. The instructor also made a good point about dealing with the aftermath of pulling the trigger. It may be more difficult to convince the police or worse a jury that you felt like you life was in eminent danger. Remember you are only protecting yourself or your family. You can carry anything you like. But why deal with all the extra weight if you don't need it?

Offline jmet2

need a lot of advise
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 02:44:47 AM »
Tn Jim, some how I drop some text during posting. The point I was trying to make is. A lot of fire power equals a lot of weight. The statistic of a 20' range in self defense shots does not require a lot of gun. Too much gun and shots over the 20' range is where you may have trouble convincing the police or a jury about your state of mind when you pulled the trigger.
You have to think about defending the shot after you defend yourself. Hope this helps.

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
Need alot of advice
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 11:12:26 AM »
I agree with your choice of caliber. I've never owned a Springfield, but two gunsmiths I spoke with had good things to say about them. While I occasionally carry a Ruger SP101, most of the time I carry a Para P12-45, and don't consider it all that heavy. With 12 rounds of 230gr JHP's, it comes in at 2lb 4oz. In an IWB behind the back, I hardly notice it any more. My next  carry piece will be something slightly larger, and probably a Springfield.  8)
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Need alot of advice
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 02:27:48 PM »
After a few weeks of looking around and asking questions I decided to go with the Milt Sparks VM2 with belt. I haven't received the product at this time but I have high hopes due to all the good feed back.

If I were looking for a new 1911 to carry I'd look hard at the SW SC 1911 Commander size pistol. I believe those gun have a lot going for them. As far as the real small 1911's go I'd probabally go with a Kimber.For a DA version I like the Para CCO.

Take Care,
Scott