Author Topic: Anybody here have an easy Biltong recipe?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
Anybody here have an easy Biltong recipe?
« on: January 13, 2003, 08:39:59 AM »
I know this isnt the recipe section, but I figured nobody there would know what I was talking about.  I have made jerkey, but I know Biltong is different. Will it work OK in a typical dehydrator or a small smoker, or should I make a box?
  I have only had it once, and it was a lot better than Jerkey, nice and soft and chewey.  I am sure there are lots of variations, but I would love a 'basic beginners recipe'.
....make it count

Offline HUNTERSA

• http://www.blueprintsafaris.co.za
Anybody here have an easy Biltong recipe?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 08:57:09 PM »
Hi Robert

Before you can make biltong there are a few basic things you need to know. It is actually very easy !!

1 ) Never hang your biltong in a closed up environment. It must hang in a well ventilated area. We take normal house fans to help dry the biltong faster. If you want to make a box it must be open on both sides, you can cover the openings with a type of fine netting to keep the bugs out.

2 ) For normal biltong for the beginner you can use just Coarse Salt , Black Pepper ( Powder ) & Vinegar.

3 ) You must take a big plastic bucket and at the bottom put a layer of coarse salt, black  :P pepper & vinegar ( You must sprinkle the vinegar over the meat not to much).  Put one layer of meet cover it again with coarse salt, black pepper & vinegar. Carry on with this layers till the meat are finished. Don't put to much black pepper.

4 ) Please note that you must add the coarse salt, pepper & vinegar to go with your own taste if you like salt add allot, if not don't put to much, same with pepper & vinegar.

5 ) Leave the biltong for 1 Hour then you must turn the meat on the other side, leave for another hour then hang the biltong.

6 ) The biltong must be left until it is dry to your preference. Do not leave the biltong in direct sunlight it will go rotten.

We are leaving for the US 15/01/2003 to attend some Hunting Exhibitions and visit some clients.

When I return I will send you some more recipe's for different types off Meat. Even better send me your Postal address and I will send you a Biltong makers guide for beginner or my be even deliver it in person.

Send it to my e-mail : danie@blueprintsafaris.co.za if you would like some thing like that.

Happy Hunting

Thanks & Regards
HUNTERSA

Offline Robert

Thanks Huntersa
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2003, 05:40:12 AM »
I really appreciate your taking the time to send me this recipe and instructions.  I printed it out, and E-mailed my home address.  Have a safe trip, Robert
....make it count