Author Topic: Strange but Weird!  (Read 809 times)

Offline MarkA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Strange but Weird!
« on: May 06, 2004, 04:31:18 PM »
First, THANKS to everyone that has helped me solve my Handi problems.  I am not through, but getting there.

1. Think I found my group problem.  Finally found that my scope was moving.  It has been very subtle moving backwards with every shot.  At the range today, you could finally see the amount of movement that had taken place.  Will replace these rings with Millets and see.

2. Extractor, VERY storage!  I was following a post about accuracy improvement because of the group problem and had shimmed my barrel.  Well, that drastically improved my extractor performance, not to 100% but a whole bunch.

Not giving up on this deal yet, will change rings and try the other accuracy stuff.
Thanks and Gig''em
Mark A. Fairchild

Offline Leftoverdj

Strange but Weird!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 05:44:35 AM »
I'm cheap.

Some solutions to scope creep that cost little or nothing include dusting the inside of the rings with powdered rosin, painting the inside of the rings with rubber cement and allowing to dry before assembling, and putting a wrap of electrician's tape around the scope.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Strange but Weird!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 06:10:29 AM »
I've put blue loctite between the tube and rings and tightened the rings down tight.  Also use blue loctite on the screw threads.  Dry overnight and everything is stuck together.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Strange but Weird!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 03:07:29 PM »
Double sided tape on the inside of the rings will help also.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Strange but Weird!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 03:58:23 PM »
DJ:

I agree, 1 wrap of electricians,2 problems solved...the other is the scope getting scratched as well...been doing it this way for years...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline MarkA

• Avid Poster
Strange but Weird!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 04:57:16 AM »
Here's the status to date.
1. Last night, Friday, I swapped out the Barley See Anything for a Bushell I had.  It is no great piece of glass but it has served me well.

2. Busted a$$ to range this am at 7 to test.

3. Go on at 25, looking good, on at 50 still good and hopes up, went to 100 and the entire thing falls apart.  Shot 40 rounds and no two are together, started looking at this scope and found scratch marks.

4. Took gun to my dealer and we looked at some just cheapie Simmons rings, no loopie or Millet that were tall enough.  Compared to the rings on gun, found that the existing rings were 26 mm, the most odd size available, have only seen them for sale once.  My Bushnell scope was DEEPLY gouged by the old rings.

5. Swapped to the Simmons and bored sighted, will let you know.  Already though, the difference is how the scope sits in the Simmons, like it should not like it is being forced!
Thanks and Gig''em
Mark A. Fairchild

Offline MarkA

• Avid Poster
Had Enough Handi
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 03:47:12 AM »
I am sending back to factory or may just take the $ hit and trade in.  This thing is taking too much time and money.  I really like the idea of the gun, BUT, I cannot get this thing to function.  Spent an hour Saturday morning at range, drove to town switched rings, drove back to range, felt I had a decent group and zero and extractor functioning 75%.  Took rabbit hunting that night.  Extractor functions 5% so I am digging out rounds in the dark, and this thing wound not hit broad side of a barn.  I am not Buffalo Bill Cody, but I can shoot, this thing cannot.  

Sorry for the rant, I really wanted this to be a good gun!
Thanks and Gig''em
Mark A. Fairchild

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Strange but Weird!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 05:37:29 AM »
Send it back to the factory Mark.  But first put the original extractor back in it.  They might not honor the warrenty if they know that you altered the gun from it's orginal configuration.

Good luck.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters