Author Topic: Easter Bunny, too?  (Read 825 times)

Offline Loader 3009

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Easter Bunny, too?
« on: May 11, 2004, 02:38:43 AM »
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/8637087.htm?

Posted on Tue, May. 11, 2004

CHARLOTTE COSTUME MAKER GETS LAST LAUGH WITH STORY ABOUT FAMOUS SASQUATCH FILM

Stomping on a legend: Bigfoot, or a costume?

TONYA JAMESON

Pop Culture Writer

Philip Morris may own one of the nation's largest wholesale costume retailers, but in his heart the 70-year-old is still a suave magician and storyteller.

Now, one of Morris' stories has put him at the center of a debate over one of America's most enduring legends -- Bigfoot.

Since starting his Charlotte business in the early 1960s, the entrepreneur has built Morris Costumes into an empire, whose costumes have appeared in big Hollywood films. Some 10,000 businesses buy his costumes, props and other stage products. On Friday he'll hold court at his Monroe Road store to host a dinner and tour of its haunted house for HauntCon, a trade and convention show for the amusement industry at the Adams' Mark this weekend.

Although a giant in his field, the tale of one of his gorilla suits is generating buzz outside the amusement industry and has some Bigfoot believers stomping mad.

In "The Making of Bigfoot: The Inside Story," (Prometheus Books) published in March, author Greg Long devoted a chapter to telling Morris' alleged connection to the famed Bigfoot film shot by Roger Patterson and Bob Gimlin. The film, which has aired on TV specials, shows a grainy image supposedly of Sasquatch walking in a Northern California national forest in October 1967.

Morris says the Patterson-Gimlin film depicts a man wearing a gorilla suit, which had been hand-sewn in the basement of his Kistler Avenue home.

When he started his costume business more than 40 years ago, Morris, a Michigan native, was a touring magician who recruited his wife and her friends to help make gorilla suits from their Charlotte house.

In 1967, a man called, identified himself as Roger Patterson and said he was a rodeo cowboy who wanted to buy a gorilla suit for a gag, Morris recalled.

Morris Costumes was one of the few companies making relatively inexpensive gorilla suits. The suits were in demand because of the popular carnival trick in which a woman morphed into a crazed gorilla and sent patrons screaming from fair tents. Patterson paid $435 plus shipping and handling for the suit.

"I didn't think it was a real big deal," said Morris. "It was just another sale."

Patterson later called asking how to make it more realistic, Morris said. Use a stick to extend the arms, brush the fur to cover the zipper and wear football pads to make the shoulders bigger, Morris told him.

He never heard from Patterson again.

Sometime in October 1967, Morris was in his living room when he saw the now-famous Bigfoot footage on TV.

Even after what would become known as the Patterson-Gimlin film became a disputed piece of Bigfoot evidence, Morris said he never heard from Patterson. Morris told friends and relatives that the creature shot with a 16 mm camera was actually someone wearing his gorilla suit.

He says he refrained from going public because he didn't want to undermine the still-popular girl-to-gorilla trick, or expose a fellow illusionist.

"In my mind it was a magic trick," he said.

Morris never met Patterson, Gimlin or Bob Heironimus, the man identified in Long's book as the wearer of the suit.

"I wasn't there when they shot the film," Morris said. "I didn't know they were going to do that."

Morris didn't start speaking publicly about the Bigfoot suit until Patterson died in 1972. Even then, he mostly told his story at trade conventions. By then, his white gorilla suit appeared in the James Bond movie "Diamonds Are Forever." His masks were used in the movie "Point Break," starring Keanu Reeves.

Long, a Washington state-based writer, found Morris after a Bigfoot researcher sent him an e-mail about a Morris interview on a Charlotte radio station in 2002.

When Long called Morris, he had finished most of his book. After interviewing Morris four times last November, the writer believed the Charlotte costume maker because many of his comments corroborated things Heironimus said about the suit.

"I couldn't see any motive beyond that he wanted to tell the truth," Long said. "This was just a good story that he decided to tell."

Bigfoot researchers say Morris' claim is just that -- a story.

"For him to suggest that is just wishful thinking on his part," said Jeff Meldrum, an associate professor of anatomy and anthropology at Idaho State University, who's studied the Patterson film. "Everyone in the film industry wishes they can do something as compelling as the Patterson film, but no one has."

Bigfoot researchers save most of their venom for Long, who they say assassinates Patterson's character in the book. Still, on the Internet and in interviews, they question Morris' motives and dissect his statements about why the creature moves the way it does in the film.

Among other things, they say the bend of the human elbow debunks Morris' theory that a stick extended the arms because the creature's elbow joint is proportional to its body, its fur looks real and its torso is longer and wider than an average person's.

"Morris' costumes are fine for circuses, fine for movies, but the hair doesn't lie down in the same way as the hair shown on the Patterson Bigfoot, on the live creature," said researcher Loren Coleman, author of "Bigfoot! The True Story of Apes In America."

Morris ignores the skeptics.

"You're interfering with their belief system," he said, with his wide grin. "It's like telling a child there's no Santa Claus."

Or Bigfoot.

Morris Costumes

1962 Begins manufacturing gorilla suits from his house on Kistler Avenue. Ships an average of one suit every month or so.

Late '70s Bought national costume distributors House of Drane in Chicago and House of Humor in Los Angeles.

Early '80s Built retail store on Monroe Road in Charlotte to separate retail from distribution.

1999 Branched into the amusement park industry; provides costumes, props, Halloween attractions.

2004 Ships about 5,000 costumes to stores during Halloween season.
Don't believe everything you think.

Offline 1911crazy

Easter Bunny, too?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 03:31:48 AM »
For sure there are hoaxes which many try to get their 15 minutes of fame or maybe its both the attention and the cash that comes ther way.

If you do a search of "bigfoot in vermont" a few stories come up.

Like;  In Pownal,Vt. on October 17,1879 there is a story of a sighting and more.                                                                BigBill

Its not Santa nor the Bunny Rabbit there's just too many sightings that over shadow the hoaxes. Its too bad our goverment did research into this back in the early 70's and we never heard the results about it.  Again its another cover up by our goverment.  Then there is all the stuff thats written about reports from Russia and one of them during the war about shooting two of them dead when they wouldn't stop at a distance and were shocked at what they found when they seen what they were.  There are many reports out of russia too plus the reports here too.  With all the sightings they all can't be hoaxes.  There are so many things we don't know about on this earth we have yet to discover so i don't doubt anything.  Like my experiences with mountainlions after seeing tracks in the snow for so many years were no mountianlions were suppose to be because they were EXTINCT and then I got to see one upclose and personal now its a different story that now Vermont admits they are there.  My point is they are so elusive and its so hard to see one why can't there be a bigfoot too?? Then I have the @ssholes who say I'm not seeing signs of mountainlions or have seen a mountainlion, but I know what i'm seeing.  They are mad because they can't see one too.  Just because you can't see one so easy doesn't mean it isn't there!!  They aren't going to come out to see you and say hello for sure.

Just don't let one of these clowns in a gorilla suit come at me when I'm hunting!!!!!!!

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
Re: Easter Bunny, too?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 02:29:14 PM »
Quote from: Loader 3009
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/8637087.htm?

Posted on Tue, May. 11, 2004

CHARLOTTE COSTUME MAKER GETS LAST LAUGH WITH STORY ABOUT FAMOUS SASQUATCH FILM

Stomping on a legend: Bigfoot, or a costume?

TONYA JAMESON

Pop Culture Writer

Philip Morris may own one of the nation's largest wholesale costume retailers, but in his heart the 70-year-old is still a suave magician and storyteller.

Now, one of Morris' stories has put him at the center of a debate over one of America's most enduring legends -- Bigfoot.

Since starting his Charlotte business in the early 1960s, the entrepreneur has built Morris Costumes into an empire, whose costumes have appeared in big Hollywood films. Some 10,000 businesses buy his costumes, props and other stage products. On Friday he'll hold court at his Monroe Road store to host a dinner and tour of its haunted house for HauntCon, a trade and convention show for the amusement industry at the Adams' Mark this weekend.

Although a giant in his field, the tale of one of his gorilla suits is generating buzz outside the amusement industry and has some Bigfoot believers stomping mad.

In "The Making of Bigfoot: The Inside Story," (Prometheus Books) published in March, author Greg Long devoted a chapter to telling Morris' alleged connection to the famed Bigfoot film shot by Roger Patterson and Bob Gimlin. The film, which has aired on TV specials, shows a grainy image supposedly of Sasquatch walking in a Northern California national forest in October 1967.

Morris says the Patterson-Gimlin film depicts a man wearing a gorilla suit, which had been hand-sewn in the basement of his Kistler Avenue home.

When he started his costume business more than 40 years ago, Morris, a Michigan native, was a touring magician who recruited his wife and her friends to help make gorilla suits from their Charlotte house.

In 1967, a man called, identified himself as Roger Patterson and said he was a rodeo cowboy who wanted to buy a gorilla suit for a gag, Morris recalled.

Morris Costumes was one of the few companies making relatively inexpensive gorilla suits. The suits were in demand because of the popular carnival trick in which a woman morphed into a crazed gorilla and sent patrons screaming from fair tents. Patterson paid $435 plus shipping and handling for the suit.

"I didn't think it was a real big deal," said Morris. "It was just another sale."

Patterson later called asking how to make it more realistic, Morris said. Use a stick to extend the arms, brush the fur to cover the zipper and wear football pads to make the shoulders bigger, Morris told him.

He never heard from Patterson again.

Sometime in October 1967, Morris was in his living room when he saw the now-famous Bigfoot footage on TV.

Even after what would become known as the Patterson-Gimlin film became a disputed piece of Bigfoot evidence, Morris said he never heard from Patterson. Morris told friends and relatives that the creature shot with a 16 mm camera was actually someone wearing his gorilla suit.

He says he refrained from going public because he didn't want to undermine the still-popular girl-to-gorilla trick, or expose a fellow illusionist.

"In my mind it was a magic trick," he said.

Morris never met Patterson, Gimlin or Bob Heironimus, the man identified in Long's book as the wearer of the suit.

"I wasn't there when they shot the film," Morris said. "I didn't know they were going to do that."

Morris didn't start speaking publicly about the Bigfoot suit until Patterson died in 1972. Even then, he mostly told his story at trade conventions. By then, his white gorilla suit appeared in the James Bond movie "Diamonds Are Forever." His masks were used in the movie "Point Break," starring Keanu Reeves.

Long, a Washington state-based writer, found Morris after a Bigfoot researcher sent him an e-mail about a Morris interview on a Charlotte radio station in 2002.

When Long called Morris, he had finished most of his book. After interviewing Morris four times last November, the writer believed the Charlotte costume maker because many of his comments corroborated things Heironimus said about the suit.

"I couldn't see any motive beyond that he wanted to tell the truth," Long said. "This was just a good story that he decided to tell."

Bigfoot researchers say Morris' claim is just that -- a story.

"For him to suggest that is just wishful thinking on his part," said Jeff Meldrum, an associate professor of anatomy and anthropology at Idaho State University, who's studied the Patterson film. "Everyone in the film industry wishes they can do something as compelling as the Patterson film, but no one has."

Bigfoot researchers save most of their venom for Long, who they say assassinates Patterson's character in the book. Still, on the Internet and in interviews, they question Morris' motives and dissect his statements about why the creature moves the way it does in the film.

Among other things, they say the bend of the human elbow debunks Morris' theory that a stick extended the arms because the creature's elbow joint is proportional to its body, its fur looks real and its torso is longer and wider than an average person's.

"Morris' costumes are fine for circuses, fine for movies, but the hair doesn't lie down in the same way as the hair shown on the Patterson Bigfoot, on the live creature," said researcher Loren Coleman, author of "Bigfoot! The True Story of Apes In America."

Morris ignores the skeptics.

"You're interfering with their belief system," he said, with his wide grin. "It's like telling a child there's no Santa Claus."

Or Bigfoot.

Morris Costumes

1962 Begins manufacturing gorilla suits from his house on Kistler Avenue. Ships an average of one suit every month or so.

Late '70s Bought national costume distributors House of Drane in Chicago and House of Humor in Los Angeles.

Early '80s Built retail store on Monroe Road in Charlotte to separate retail from distribution.

1999 Branched into the amusement park industry; provides costumes, props, Halloween attractions.

2004 Ships about 5,000 costumes to stores during Halloween season.
H
Hey loader , you can believe that lie if you want to, here is something for you to look at, if you haven`t already. Like I said before, I don`t see no zippers on this thing :lol:  Infact if you tried to put a zipper on this thing, I do believe we would not hear from you again :eek:
http://www.geocities.com/mkd55bigfoot/scars.html?1071897441234
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Easter Bunny, too?
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 09:39:57 AM »
:-D  :-D This is really a blast. It is so ridiculous that some people actually believe this kind of fairy tails, or at least want others to believe. How is it that so many of these creatures are supposed to exist all over the world but not one single solid piece of proof has EVER been presented. Don't you think in all this time, all over the world, someone, at some time, would have killed or captured just one? Not counting the govt cover up of course. I mean not even a bone or piece of hair has ever turned up. Or dont they die. Oh! I know they carry there dead off and bury them don't they? We find hair from deer and bear all the time stuck to tree bark and barbed wire fences. But I guess Bigfoots don't ever rub against trees.  Why is the only evidence these people ever come up with shaky out of focus pictures or plaster casts of foot prints that are easily fabricated?  Even the web site posted admits they are using animation in there pictures. don't they ever cross roads? Why hasn't JUST ONE ever been hit by an auto? Bear, deer, and everything else you can think of have been. Guys, this is just precious. :-D
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
Easter Bunny, too?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 09:57:53 AM »
Well twodollarpistol,
  I don`t know how to answer your questions, I quess if you never seen one, then it would be hard to accept them. I know if I had never had my encounters, I would be hard pressed to believe in them also. But the fact is, alot of people have seen them and alot of these people are from all walks of life. As far as you saying not one piece of proof, well I beg to differ, I have some foot cast, and there are lots of other people that have taken foot cast as well. Then you said (looks like there would be hair left on trees, and on fences etc.) Well I`m sure there is, but who has the time to collect every little bit of hair, everytime we are in the woods. :roll:  Maybe 100% of the time the hair would be of a known animal, but just by chance, maybe not 1% of the time it would be Bigfoot. The odds, is on Bigfoot side. :x
   Go to GCBRO web site and check out some stories. As far as a body goes, their was one found by Smokey Crabtree and he has a picture on his site, you can get to his site by the same GCBRO, and then following the links. The head is missing, so the scientific people will not recognize it without a head :roll:
bullet maker
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline 1911crazy

Easter Bunny, too?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 02:02:46 AM »
Just checkout the "female bigfoot in russia" do a search then do another search for "bigfoot in russia"  there are so many sightings and reports about them and encounters by many too.  Its no different than those I talk to that say I'm not seeing mountainlion or these are no mountainlions because they shot them all dead.  The mountainlion is one of the most elusive animals I have ever seen so why not bigfoot too if its been in wild for so long its just not going to be seen so easily it has much better keener senses than we have so its very elusive too.  With reports from all over the globe its hard not to think there has to be something out there whether you believe it or not.  There has been unknown hair samples found that ties in with some sort of primates but it still unknown and not matched to anything known to us.  Plus there are still things unknown to us in the ocean so why not in our vast forests too.   After my mountainlion encounter I keep an open mind on everything now we just never know what is out there.   Its so easy to sit and say its not real because some haven't seen it yet just like my 200lb mountainlion!!!!!!!!   It ain't no kitty cat its a man eating predator.                                                                        BigBill

The russian scientists are researching bigfoot right now in russia and one thinks they use the earths magnetic grid to dissappear.   They are trying to make contact with two colonies of bigfoot too.  There are a lot of russian reports to read just do a search on russian bigfoot.

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Easter Bunny, too?
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 12:27:07 AM »
:D  :-D  :-D  Guys, I have to admit that, for the most part, my original post was just to get a little something stirred up. Helps to get the blood pressure up, and the grey matter working, to have a little controversy. At least I enjoy a little friendly spat from time to time. Hope I didn't come down too hard or hurt anybody's feelings. That was not my intent and if I did, I apologize. To be perfectly honest though, I must say that I don't believe in big foot. I think for the most part they are the result of mis identified something elses's ( I just made that word up ) tempered, in a lot of cases, with a healthy dose of imagination. Then you are going to have a certain amount of out right hoaxes. It just seems to me, every time there is some type of evidence offered, something is always wrong with it. There are always excuses. As far as foot print castings go, tell me what dimensions you want one and how you would like it to look and I will send you one by the end of the day. This does not constitute evidence for me. You talk about mountain lions, they are called Florida panther here in the south. The " experts" say they no longer exist in Ga. And they ARE one of the most elusive creatures I know of, but I have seen two while out and about in the woods of south central Ga. Nobody believes me either. Oh well ! Any way, if I am going to believe in big foot I just gonna have to have some positive proof. Thats just me. But for you guys, just keep on doing what you are doing and keep believing as you do, and who knows, you just may be the one to discover something really indisputable and make crabby old skeptics like me eat our words. Just be safe and God bless.
P.S.
  Mr bulletmaker, I don't make bullets but I do enjoy all the other things you mentioned. Especially eating out often.

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
Easter Bunny, too?
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 02:40:02 AM »
Hi twodollarpistol :D
   Your forgiven, but may I suggest that you go to all of my post on this subject. Just highlight my name and all post on the subject (bigfoot) will come up and read all of them. There are no fake footprints,  that I found. I only found one, that was castable, the others ( and very few at that) maybe only 6 or 7 times that I have come across tracks, were not fakes. how do I know? Dermal ridges. It`s the only species that have dermal ridges that run the length of the foot and not across or dia of the foot.
  Like I was saying before, its hard for people that has never seen one to believe. That`s O.K. there is a lot of people that will never see one. I`ve never seen a candirus catfish, but they exist in the amazon river. the sicentific experts, didnt know that they existed until 1964, Its a fish related to the catfish, that about the size of a no. 2 pencil, that will crawl up you (censored word) or rectum if you happen to be swimming in the nude, and attach itself to you kidney and suck the blood out of you. It has barbs on the side like a catfish and you cannot pull them out once they attach to you. You have to have them surgicaly removed. :eek:
     What I`m trying to say is I never say never. It will make a liarer out of me everytime if I do. I just try to keep an open mind, until I see it for myself or it is proven to exist. Bigfoot, I have seen with my own eyes, so I know they exist. If you would like more proof, just PM me. I do have two pictures of some of them, but I will not post them, cause there are pirates, that surf the web for such things, and steal the information and use it in their upcoming books, without my permission.
    It takes a bigman to apologize, my hats off to you :D
bullet maker :D

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Easter Bunny, too?
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 06:28:28 AM »
Mr Bullet Maker
 I have read some of your other post, and I must say there is some very interesting reading. I can understand, based on your experiences, why you believe as you do. I still personally do not believe in Big foot. I hope that I never do. If that changes it will be because I have run up on one myself. There are some things I just dont need to see and these things are somewhere near the top of the list. It is O K for us to disagree as long as we respect each other and there opinions. And in your case, Sir, I do. You have obviously given this a lot of time and study. I respect that.
 As I said I started this whole thing in fun to get a rise out of somebody. But you had to go and talk sensibly instead of going of on me in a rage. Just darn.
 Any way I do still enjoy grand kids and eating out. :D