Author Topic: Iowa turkey hunting accident  (Read 1098 times)

Offline scruffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Iowa turkey hunting accident
« on: May 07, 2004, 11:03:22 AM »

The above Quad City Iowa man, Mike Burson (holding his x-ray), was shot in the back of the head after another turkey hunter, John Adams, stalked up on Burson's calls for 45 minutes.  Burson moved his head, Adams thought it was a turkey and unloaded a load of #5's at 22 yards!  :eek:

Burson survived with over 100 copper plated #5's in his head and heck, that are slowly working back out.   :shock:

Adams helped get Burson to help and later Burson invited Adams over for a beer and to talk it over.

Here's the link to the newspaper article - http://www.qctimes.com/internal.php?story_id=1027124&t=Local+News&c=2,1027124

I'm at a loss for words after reading this over and over.  You guys have to read this article!  I think Burson's either the most forgiving man I've ever heard of, or he has lead poisoning!!!  Keep it safe out there!!!!

Edit: and before calling your wife to tell her you've been shot in the head call 911 first!!!  Man, I'm still shaking my head on this one!

And here's the article so you don't have to link to it.

Q-C man carries souvenirs in head of hunting trip gone bad
By Linda Cook

With a head full of buckshot, Mike Burson of Davenport talks turkey.

He hopes that, after folks see his X-rays and hear about the bizarre accident that left him full of lead, hunters might be more careful and someone’s life could be saved.

Burson, 40, has been hunting since he was 8 years old, and hunting turkey in particular for about 15 years. So it was natural for him to head out with his brother-in-law Jeff Boese, of Davenport, in quest of turkey near Postville, Iowa, in the northeastern part of the state when the hunting season began April 12.

Mike Burson, of Davenport, was shot with more than 100 buckshots in a turkey hunting accident earlier this month. Doctors couldn’t do much but clean up the wounds, but he did receive a souvenir X-ray showing where the shot still is lodged in his head.

They awoke at 3 a.m. in search of birds Burson had spotted earlier. Turkey hunters, Burson said, don’t stalk their prey; instead, “We wait for them to come to us.” He and Boese split up.

Burson found a brush pile and camouflaged himself in the brush, where he was propped up on a log. He used a hen turkey call every half hour to 45 minutes to attract the birds, he says.

About 6 p.m., he heard a shotgun blast, blanked out for maybe a second, then realized “I felt it in the back of my head. I hollered out, ‘Hey, you shot me,’ and rolled off the log.”

Burson turned to see a man pointing a shotgun at him about 22 yards away. For a moment, the two hunters froze with their guns pointed at each other, then both put their guns down. “How bad is it?” Burson asked the other hunter, who identified himself as John Adams.

“He started panicking,” Burson remembers. Adams walked to Burson’s truck, helped Burson in the truck and drove him to a friend’s home, where Burson had been staying for his hunting trip. “I asked him, ‘What were you possibly thinking?’”

“I took my headnet off, and it was covered with blood,” Burson remembers. He then called his wife, Lori, three hours away in Davenport, on his cell phone.

“I thought he was going to be dying on me,” she said. “I thought the whole back of his head had been blown off.” Her daughter, Trysta, 18, was at home at the time. “I was glad she wasn’t alone,” Trysta said.

Meanwhile, in the Waukon area, several people were at the house when Adams pulled up with Burson. “I kept saying, ‘Somebody tell me how bad it is,’” Burson says. Someone called 911, an ambulance was dispatched, and Burson soon was on his way to a Waukon hospital. “I was at the hospital for about an hour,” said Burson, who refused pain medication. “They told me it wasn’t life threatening. There wasn’t much they could except clean it up. And they gave me the X-rays.”

In the X-rays, it’s easy to see the No. 5 shots of tiny copper-coated lead pellets. It was loaded in a full turkey choke, which results in a tight pattern of shot. “I’ve killed turkeys at 50 yards with the same shell,” Burson said.

Later, when Burson’s wife arrived, Burson called Adams and his family to have a beer and talk things over. “We sat down and had a beer together, and I told him there are no hard feelings,” says Burson, who says Adams “is a basket case right now. He told me he won’t ever hunt turkey again.” Adams, who had been tracking Burson’s calls for about 45 minutes, apparently saw Burson move his head while he was calling, “saw the movement and shot the movement,” Burson says.

“I tried to make him feel better because he never wants to hunt again,” Burson said. “I told him not to give up hunting, just be more careful. Turkey hunting is the most dangerous hunting there is,” Burson said.

Burson doesn’t plan on giving up hunting, either. Turkey and deer trophies hang on the walls of his home — in fact, he’s waiting for a record-book turkey with five beards to be returned from a taxidermist. Some of his hunting “trophies” literally are part of him: Burson has a tattoo of a deer head on one arm and a long-horned sheep on the other.

Within the last few days, Burson and his wife have worked some of the pellets out. “They pop out a lot easier after he’s just had a shower,” she said. More than 100 pellets were lodged in his back, his neck, his head and his jaw.

Burson, who works in a coal yard in Muscatine, Iowa, is using up his vacation days because he doesn’t want to immediately return to work and risk infection In addition to the buck shot, he also has whiplash and a hairline fracture in his skull. He will be back hunting at the end of the month, he says.

He’s thankful that he was wearing three shirts. One of them was a new $47 Marine Corps digital-camouflage shirt, which is now liberally ventilated with pellet holes.

Burson wants to share the story of his accident, which might be the first hunting accident of the year in Iowa, with others as a warning to be cautious when hunting. “If we can get one lesson out of that, I’ll be a good deal,” he said.

“Two years ago, I shot a record turkey,” he says matter-of-factly. “This year, I got shot.”

The city desk can be contacted at (563) 383-2245 or newsroom@qctimes.com.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 02:43:06 PM »
Of course Mr. Adams was wrong, he did everything wrong, don't stalk turkeys (BIG MISTAKE), call then to you. Don't shoot at movement (SECOND BIG MISTAKE), make sure you not only identify your target after aquiring it, but identify what part (head) of the properly identified target (turkey) you are shooting at (3RD BIG MISTAKE). Mr. Burson did almost everything correctly and was still shot. Congratulations to Mr. Adams for helping and owning up to his mistake and I'm happy for Mr. Burson for surviving (100 Buckshots?) and for forgiving the wayward hunter. Mr. Burson must be quite a guy....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 04:39:55 AM »
That is something I can't understand.. I've been known to look at my target too long and ed up not being able to get a good shot. But, I would rather look too long than to take a shot without iIDing my target. This guy must be a total idiot :eek: I'll take my hat off to the guy he shot for not pressing charges. :-) I'm glad that the guy is stilllalive.                            
                                                                          Tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 04:51:14 AM »
well i got to say, he has a much better way of dealing with things then i do. If some DUMBA$$ shot me in the head, and i lived, i would not be drinking beer with him, and i got to ask myself how many people would be walking out of the woods??? i am a very forgiving guy, but that would cross the line even for me.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 06:02:16 PM »
All I can say is WOW... :shock:
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 02:35:49 PM »
I keep asking myself if I was laying there on the ground, just shot in the back of the head, my shotgun pointing at the guy that shot me, and his shotgun pointed at me, what would I do?  If I shot him to save myself, which I might do, he shot me once, had his gun on me for a second shot, I'd feel very threatened!!!!  But if I did shoot him I'd probably never get back out to my jeep and to help in time (some areas I hunt have cell coverage, some don't).  By shooting the other guy I'd very likely seal my fate.  But in a situation like that you don't have time to think things through.  I think someone was definitely looking out for him!

Yea, all I have to say is, WOW, also.  :shock:

later,
scruffy

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 08:57:07 AM »
:shock: I cannot believe it another one.  When are people ever going to learn to make sure of your target before you pull the trigger.  If you ask me it is kind of hard to put shot into the kill zone of a turkey if you cannot see the kill zone :? Some day's Sheesh.  Anyway why does the news media keep calling it buckshot anyway.  Worst part is that is close or on the public hunting area were I go :eek:

Turkey Hunter Shot By Partner
Man Accidentally Shot In Dallas County

POSTED: 11:35 am CDT May 12, 2004
UPDATED: 12:32 pm CDT May 12, 2004
DALLAS COUNTY, Iowa -- A hunting accident in northeast Dallas County sent one man to the hospital Wednesday morning.

The accidental shooting happened southwest of the Des Moines River Bridge near Granger (pictured, left).

Deputies say two men were hunting turkey together, but they split up.

One of the men mistook his partner for a turkey rustling in the brush and shot him.

The injured man sustained buckshot wounds to his chest.

He was taken by helicopter to Methodist Medical Center in Des Moines.

No names have been released. :shock:
I must be crazy.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 09:28:29 AM »
Someone tell those people making out the reports and the newspapers (ugh!) it's birdshot, not buckshot!!!. I'm sure the hunters, safe hunter or not, know the difference. But then I guess it would not sound as bad and the anti's would not get as much mileage out of the stories....<><.... :roll:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 04:24:31 AM »
Hey 22khornet, here's some hearsay information from the iowa hunting boards:

"iaslabslayer: Hey guys i thought i'd ;et ya know something.....my shop teacher knows both of these guys and the vic (i forget his name) is related to my shop teacher somehow i guess i dunno how didnt hear that part of the story.....n e ways.........he said the family called him and the vics parents and sister lived in Flordia and came right in and he told me that Gray (the shooter) was this guys best friend and they grew up together and had always hunted together.....n e ways after the shooting happened the vic was approx. 40 (feet or yards-didnt catch that part of the story either) when Gray shot his buddy....after he realized it he went running to his buddy and then tryed to call 911....he couldnt get reception so he ran to a spot where he could and after the call was over he went back to his buddy....when Gray heard the scirens he went running to the road and when he got rescue crews he took them back to the general area and they couldn't locate his buddy because in all the panic he had forgetten where he left his buddy.....then they started hearing shot after shot after shot coming from where they had parked the car....rescue crews got there and found the vic had shot 5 times and reloaded and shot more till they got to him.....from where the shooting happened to the vehical was approx. 1/2 mile and the vic had walked there with a collapsed lung, pellet wounds to his nect and upper body, and 2 BB's 2" into his head that they will leave there.....when the family was at the hospital and the vic was being attended to....here walked in Gray....he had jus shot his best friend and had the courage to come in and face the family for a mistake that may not take the vic s life but defentally my have damaged him and hes lucky he didnt kill him and my teacher said some of the family was mad at his but then they realized that he had the courage to face the family face to face for something that never should have happened......................my shop teacher told me this word for word and im not backing it up 100% cause ya never know when details are left out so let law enforcement back this up but my teacher was 100% serious while telling me this so i think its defentally close."

The "shooter" was cited for not hunting with a liscense and was fined.  I guess to be considered and charged as a "poacher" you have to shoot a turkey...  I think he should be changed with attempted man slaughter or something.... A fine for trying to poach and almost killing someone just doesn't seem appropriate.  :x

later,
scruffy

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 05:00:25 AM »
Yeah but if you lose control of your car on an icy road when you are being as careful as possible and jump a curb and someone was hurt you would be sited for attempted vehicular homicide.  Sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason.
I must be crazy.