Author Topic: Winchester Quality Control  (Read 408 times)

Offline papajohn428

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Winchester Quality Control
« on: July 17, 2004, 08:50:48 AM »
It seems like lately I am hearing about a LOT of ammo failures involving Olin/Winchester ammunition.  I have shot a ton of W-W ammo in my time, and have several guns that dote on their favorite W-W loads.  Yet lately, every time I hear about an ammo problem, it seems like it involves W-W ammo.  Misfires, squib loads, inconsistent velocity, even inverted primers.  Since I live less than a mile from their primary ammo factory in East Alton Illinois, and have NUMEROUS friends and relatives who work at Olin/W-W, is it just them, or is all factory ammo QC on the decline?  Maybe it's just a matter of perception, but I've never been so nervous about shooting factory ammo!

PJ the Trepidatious
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »
papajohn428,

I believe it is a sign of the time and it isn't just Winchester either.  All manufactures are pushing their workers to produce more and more and quality control is what is suffering because of it.  Also it is not just the ammunition departments either.  It seems to be running through the whole firearms industry and all manufactures no matter what their product(s) are(My wife was in an auto accident just a year ago because of a tire that shredded(tires were almost new with less than 1,500 miles on them).  The CHP investigation shows that the tire was faulty so now we are embattled in a lawsuit(also suing the car manufacture too because the automatic retracting seatbelts didn’t retract thus allowing the wife to be tossed around inside the car) because of it.).  Looks more and more that the old saying of “Buyer Beware” is true.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline TScottW99

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 12:04:40 PM »
I have been lucky with Winchester, including the Winchester White Box.  Have shot 1,000's of rounds of WWB with no failures.  Now Remington on the other hand  :roll:   Not in the UMC line but in the center fire rifle line.  Cost me a very nice 10 pointer one day  :evil:
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt