Author Topic: Crimpson Trace  (Read 724 times)

Offline Born2shoot48

• Trade Count: (0)
Crimpson Trace
« on: December 03, 2005, 09:20:18 AM »
I have a Smith airweight snubbie I just started carrying.  It is a 5 shot hammerless 38 stoked with +P's.   It has the sight rail fixed sights.  It will do the job at close quarters,  but I am starting to look at Crimpson Trace grips for it.  Looks like they may extend my range a little.  Anybody got any experience with these?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Crimpson Trace
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 10:13:52 AM »
You'll love them. My S&W 60 3" wears them and I'd not ever want it to be without them. A long time ago in the early days of the site CTC was an advertiser here. I got them back in those days at a real bargain and sure am glad I did. I shoot better groups with the laser than with the sights.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Born2shoot48

Crimpson Trace
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 10:24:06 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  What kind of accuracy can I expect?  The commercials make them look awful good.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Crimpson Trace
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 10:53:24 AM »
I can't answer that and really neither can anyone else but you. I have no clue how good a shot you are. I will say that I'd bet money you'll shoot smaller groups with the laser than with the sights on the gun if they are irons only and not a scope. With my 3" M60 and the laser I can usually do about 2" at 25 yards. With the irons I do good to shoot 4" at that distance.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rockbilly

Crimpson Trace
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 04:15:44 PM »
:D OK GB keep your hat on..........on the advice of my old buddy Jeff Cooper I stayed away from all laser sights until I purchased a S&W 649 that came with Crimson Trace grips.  After shooting it a few time I fell in love with the laser sights.  What convinced me was the ability to hit a soda can at 20 yards shooting at night.  There is no question, the laser gives you an advantage during low light or darkness when it is difficult to see the iron sights.

Since obtaining my first laser sighted gun, I have equipped three more guns with laser sights.  I added a set of CT sights to a Model 60 and a Sig 229.  I put the Laser Max (internal) on a Sig 220.  All of them are great, but I prefer the CT.  It has a small on/off switch on the bottom of the grip to turn the system off when you wish, and the grip switch is so natural that it just seems much easier than the on/off switch for the Lase Max.

Under no circumstances should you go to the laser and totally forget about the iron sights.  You need to practice and stay proficient with both of them . :roll:  :roll:

Offline Dusty Miller

Crimpson Trace
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 10:41:06 AM »
A set of CT grips grace the handle of my 4" S&W 629.  The Laser end of it very good but the grips themselves really suck!  I had to take a file and    smoothe them out because they really hurt my palm.  But they still seem to transmit every ounce of recoil right to my hand.  Not pleasant to shoot.  
My Colt 45 ACP wears a set and they cause me no troubles at all.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Xplorer

Crimpson Trace
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 04:51:03 AM »
I have the S&W 637 airlite, and am also considering the Crimson Trace sights.  From the posts here, sounds like they are well received.  My questions is whether to go with the rubber or the hard polymer.  Is the rubber worth the extra $50 or so?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Crimpson Trace
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 05:40:19 AM »
I've tested both and kept the rubber. It's a much larger thus less concealable grip but I sure love it and don't really use my 3" M60 as a concealed carry gun. The hard one is of the "boot" grip style whereas the rubber one is more of a target style if you are familiar with those two J-frame grip styles.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Old Griz

Crimpson Trace
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 05:55:41 PM »
:cb2: My wife has them on her SP101 and loves them. They came from the factory dead on.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
love my CT on the 101
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 01:08:50 PM »
I too have the CT grips for my SP 101.  They don't fit my hand quite as well as the original grips but very close.  Fit is plenty good enough and my ability to hit with slow fire and double action fire (I'm still pretty slow) is FAR BETTER than with iron sights.  I highly recommend them.

Another thing, one can aim and hit without getting eye aligned with sights as long as the target is visible.  Such as a shot from the hip or unconventional position.

But like several instructor friends remind me - don't get fully dependent on them.  

I want to get a pair of the CT Hog Hunter grips for my SW 57 but haven't located any to handle in a gun shop.  I have hesitated on the hard grips as I'm really fond of my Hogues currently on the gun.  

I still wonder a bit about the auto loader grips.  Some of the guns I've handled, my hands don't hit the switch as naturally as on the revolvers; I have to adjust a bit to find it.  But I have small hands and I'm not much of an auto shooter.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA