Author Topic: Gun Shooting Problems  (Read 564 times)

Offline mapanggulo

• Trade Count: (0)
Gun Shooting Problems
« on: May 15, 2004, 02:31:07 PM »
Went to the range to shoot my Beretta M-9, shot 100rds and was pretty much low and two the left on all my shots. Other than a week ago when I shot 100rds at a range, I haven't shot a pistol in 3 yrs. I know its not the pistol, my buddy shot a few rounds from it and he hit the bullseye a few times and the rest of his group was real close to center.  It might be my sight picture or grip...just can't figure out what it is. I know for one thing that I need to get out and practice more...but shooting ranges are few and far between here...ours will be closing for the summer too  :cry:

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Low and Left
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 03:00:20 PM »
Most likely your grip and your trigger!  The M-9 has a long length of pull and if you have modest sized hands, it's difficult to really get a good grip for double action shooting.  helping you by remote control is difficult.  Without seeing how you are shooting, it's difficult to diagnose your problem.  One thing I can recommend.  Dry fire while keeping a good sight picture.  Do it hundreds of times.  Practice the slow and gentle squeeze while maintaining your sight picture.  This will aid immensely in your follow-though.  Is the sight flat enough on top to balance a dime on?  If so, balance a dime on it, and raise it up to your shooting stance and practice keeping that dime balanced as you pull the trigger double action.  It's good practice.

Dan C

Offline mapanggulo

Gun Shooting Problems
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 04:00:31 PM »
Thanks Dan,

I've got some snap caps for it so I'll practice your advice.  When I was shooting, I relaxed my grip alittle bit more...and that seemed to tighten up my groupings some...and bring them up slightly.  I've got average size hands (Size Nine gloves) and the pistol fits well in my hand.  I'm searching around the net to see what the optimum sight picture should look like. The pistol has the white dot on the front sight...and the half mood on the rear. Also noticed that I was focusing to much on the front sight and not the target. I'm planning on taking a few more rounds next time to shoot...so hopefully I'll be able to improve. All in all...I'm just out to have a blast and enjoy myself...improving would just increase the enjoyment  :lol:

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Gun Shooting Problems
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 07:20:28 PM »
You cannot focus too much on the front sight.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Old Griz

Gun Shooting Problems
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 04:16:27 AM »
mapanggulo, are you right or left handed? :cb2:
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline mapanggulo

Gun Shooting Problems
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 03:53:31 PM »
Right handed.  shoot one eye closed (right eye dominate so left eyes closed).

Offline oso45-70

haandgun general discussion
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 04:23:10 PM »
mapanggulo
Dan gave you some good advice,, another thing while you are going through this exercize is to concentrate on bringing your trigger finger streight back, when you pull the trigger you have a tendence to rotate your hand to the left if you are right handed, like Dan said slow ie better
in this case. Hang in there you will do ok.......Joe....................
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline mapanggulo

Gun Shooting Problems
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 05:40:46 PM »
thanks for the advice everyone. Plan on doing alittle bit of dry fire practice between now and Saturday...then it will be off to the range.
I've shot the same type pistol before and did pretty good...just need to get back to basics...been along time since I've shot a pistol.

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Gun Shooting Problems
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 10:43:37 AM »
Hi Map;
    I had the same problem when I first sarted shooting handguns, always hit low and to the left.  I talked with a fellow I know who is a shooting instructor.  He told me shooting low and to the left is almost always a sign of flinching. His suggestion was pretty much what you are doing. Get some snap caps and condition yourself to shoot slowly and be aware of the flinching.  Also, I have heard from other people who do a lot of shooting that flinching is more a result of the noise than the recoil.  Make sure you have some good ear protection when you're shooting.
Hope this helps
Tony212

Offline mapanggulo

Gun Shooting Problems
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 07:03:28 PM »
Thanks Tony,

I know the time before last when I shot at an indoor range...I caught my self flinching alot...and it was from noise...two stall over a guy was shooting a Smith & Wesson 500Magnum...next time that happens, I'm going to just stop shooting and watch the big gun go boom...that was really distracting but neat at the same time  :)