Author Topic: Anyone actually shot a Kel-Tec P3AT .380?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Ron T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Anyone actually shot a Kel-Tec P3AT .380?
« on: March 24, 2004, 07:45:44 PM »
I've got a Kel-Tec P3AT .380 semi-automatic pistol on back-order that I plan to carry after I get my CCW permit in Ohio.

I handled the P3AT at a local gundealer's store and I liked what I saw and felt.  However, I'm a little concerned that the 10.0 ounce (fully loaded with 6+1 rounds) little pistol can handle the recoil due to its extremely light weight.

Has anyone reading this post actually fired or had any experience with this relatively new offering from the Florida based Kel-Tec Corporation?  Please, only those who have actually fired the gun answer.

How does it handle?

Is it accurate at reasonable ranges?

Is it hard to control?

What do you think of it?

Did you have any problems while shooting it?

Has Kel-Tec given you good service (if you needed service)?

What is your overall opinion of the P3AT model in .380?

Thanx for any answers given.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bhk

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 11:27:11 AM »
I have had one for about three weeks and love the little thing for what it is (UGLY, but well designed and efficient).  I have tried three brands of ammo without a single jam.  For carry purposes, it is loaded with Gold Dots.

This gun is SMALL and a little tricky to learn to hold, but once a technique is figured out it is surprisingly accurate.  I have no problem hitting a 6 inch bull out to 15 yards or so - certainly accurate enough for its intended purpose.  The long trigger pull is hard to get used to, but is probably a good safety feature to those not smart enough to use a pocket holster.

I don't find the recoil at all objectionable when in the act of shooting.  That said, the small grip size tends to let the trigger guard take its toll on my trigger finger after a dozen or so shots.  I don't thing the felt recoil is any worse (probably less) than my Glock 23 or my all-steel Smith .38 Special.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 05:37:49 AM »
Ahhhhh… thanx, cknight98 & bhk, for your comments.

I really appreciate them.  Your comments alleviate some of the concerns I have about the little Kel-Tec P3AT pistol.

Anyone else had any ACTUAL experience with one of these little semi-automatics in .380 caliber?  I welcome your honest comments.

Strength & Honor…

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nobody

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 05:38:45 AM »
Go to http://www.ktog.org/vbulletin/ for more info.

Offline tryit

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 03:37:36 PM »
Ron T. I got my little .380 2 weeks ago and have put about 600 rounds thru it with any problem what so ever. I have 2 PT-.32's and this little baby came to me when the fellow that it was promised to landed in jail for belting his wife and son. The first 200 rounds were factory loads and the last 300 were my reloads(yeah the book says factory buuuut). The pistol will eat anything without a hic-up. I have slicked mine up considerable and polished the ramp. Also I installed a trigger stop on the .380 and the groups improved tremendously. In fact all my Kel-tecs have trigger stops. They control beautifully and all of my women listed below can control the .380  As far as using one in a fight I have only had to show a gun once  and point one once(other than in the war). You cannot go wrong with one of these little pistols. My girlfriend, sister, daughter and ex-wife all carry Kel-Tecs and love them. My Ex asked my girlfriend which she thought more of her pistol or me. After much thought Donna said the pistol does not snore, leave beer cans around, or have a gang of friends over but ....... that chrome and grey is certainly pretty, the gun. Tryit.

Offline tryit

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 03:52:23 PM »
Ron T. I got my little .380 2 weeks ago and have put about 600 rounds thru it with any problem what so ever. I have 2 PT-.32's and this little baby came to me when the fellow that it was promised to landed in jail for belting his wife and son. The first 200 rounds were factory loads and the last 300 were my reloads(yeah the book says factory buuuut). The pistol will eat anything without a hic-up. I have slicked mine up considerable and polished the ramp. Also I installed a trigger stop on the .380 and the groups improved tremendously. In fact all my Kel-tecs have trigger stops. They control beautifully and all of my women listed below can control the .380  As far as using one in a fight I have only had to show a gun once  and point one once(other than in the war). You cannot go wrong with one of these little pistols. My girlfriend, sister, daughter and ex-wife all carry Kel-Tecs and love them. My Ex asked my girlfriend which she thought more of her pistol or me. After much thought Donna said the pistol does not snore, leave beer cans around, or have a gang of friends over but ....... that chrome and grey is certainly pretty, the gun. Tryit.

Offline Zeus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 09:15:24 AM »
I've had mine since sometime just after they came out.  I like the little guy.  Shoots pretty good out to about 15 yards, the sights (if you call them that) are pretty decieving at first and I kept hitting low.  Once you get used to it though, it will surprise you with the consistency of the shots.  I have never had it jam.  I polished out the ramp, chamber, and such when I bought it and its has functioned flawlessly.  Kick is subjective of course.  It bites a little in the web of the hand but not uncontrollable.  You can easily keep all shots rapid fire in the target at a reasonable range with a little practice.  My slide, barrel, and such are actually back in Florida right now.  I sent it in to exchange for a hard chrome slide.  Hope you enjoy it when it finally comes in.  I don't think you will be dissapointed.  GS

Offline Swat Dude

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 08:04:38 PM »
I just love my P3AT. I will tell you though that a 100 rounds through this chewed up the bottom side of my index finger due to the recoil. Zeus' comments above made me think of letting you guys know about some pretty good articles on KTOG.org for improving the reliablity of your Kel-tec. I put 150 rounds through my P3AT, performed the fluff and buff, had a Robar NP3 finish applied (which cost almost as much as the gun) and then put 150 more rounds through it including 30 Corbon rounds I now carry in it. No malfunctions whatsoever and although I shoot my other guns on a regular basis, this little point and shooter will not see too many more range rounds. Its just not that type of pistol.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 04:38:32 PM »
I finally got my Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 and put 125 rounds through it yesterday (Sunday) at my club's shooting range.

It jammed a couple of times in 125 rounds, but I think the jamming was due to the CCI Blazer ammo (with aluminum cartridge cases) more than anything else.

I intend to buy some other brand(s) of ammo that use brass rather than aluminum cartridge cases and give the little Kel-Tec some more "break in" shooting.  I believe 300 rounds should be sufficient.

I'm also going to look into the "+P" ammo Kel-Tec's instruction booklet mentioned on page 3.  I may or may not opt for the +P ammo, depending on how much more muzzle velocity it offers vs. the bullet weight it's pushing out the muzzle.

Right now, I have 90 grain Federal "HI-SHOK" jacketed hollow point bullets in it which claim a muzzle velocity of "1,000 fps" and a muzzle energy of "200 ft/lbs".

I finally found out what kind of "kick" the little pistol has... not really "bad" at all, but it does "twist" on one's trigger finger a bit.  I noticed the "pad" on my trigger finger was beginning to "object" to the pounding it was taking after about 50-75 rounds.

However, regarding “recoil”, I have to admit that the majority of my handgun shooting for the past many years has been done mostly with a Ruger Super BlackHawk with 7½ inch barrel in .44 magnum.  During the recent (2 weeks ago) shooting test i had to pass in order to qualify for getting an Ohio Concealed Carry Permit, I used both a Ruger P-89DC in 9mm Parabellum and an accurized, commercial model, blued Colt .45 ACP for qualification.  Frankly, the 9 x 19 barely “kicked” and the 1911A1  had a mild “kick” compared to the .44 magnum and so, I guess the fact that the little .380 had ANY noticeable recoil to me at all is “noteworthy”.

But, of course, the fact that the little Kel-Tec P3AT is almost “weightless” compared with other handguns I’ve been using undoubtedly influences the “sense-of-kick” I’ve experienced.

In summary… I’m happy with the P3AT.  I expect my CCW Permit to arrive within the next few days to a week… and once that happens, the little Kel-Tec will become my constant companion.

Thank all of y’all for your comments on the Kel-Tec P3AT, I truly appreciated your thoughts and experiences.

Strength & Honor…

Ron T.