Author Topic: Ransom Rest....  (Read 555 times)

Offline IBS

• Trade Count: (0)
Ransom Rest....
« on: May 11, 2004, 06:17:35 AM »
Anybody got one? Tips? Thanks in advance.

Offline Iowegan

• A Real Regular
Ransom Rest....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 07:36:19 AM »
I bought a Ransom Rest several years ago and installed it at the gun club range. First, you need to pour a cement platform to mount the device. Our first platform was too low, had to get on our knees to sight the gun. We poured a new platform that brought the gun up to about chest level. Much better. Next, you have to buy grip adapters for each type of gun. We started out with a S&W K/L frame then added a 1911 auto, a Ruger SA and a few more.  You remove the grips from most guns and clamp the grip frame into the adapters. We found the heavy hitters were hard to keep clamped without movement from recoil and damage to the gun.

The Ransom is a good tool for testing accuracy potential, sight alignment, and load development, but they are not fool proof. When adjusting sights, the Ransom rest almost always makes the gun shoot high compared to hand held. You need an extremely stable base and of course the proper grip adapters. Even then, sometimes a gun would slip a few thousandths and make it look like the groups were bad. Ransom makes a good device but be prepared to spend money to make it work right. The rest itself cost about $350 plus you need the windage adapter for another $200. They make grip adapters for most guns at $50 each. By the time you make a decent base and buy the components, you'll have a $1000 in it.

We found guns with scopes that seemed to stay tight when hand held would shoot loose after just a few rounds in the Ransom.  Also had broken grip frame screws and launched base pins in Ruger SAs. Guns are designed for the shock absorber effect they get from the shooters body. When you clamp them down, damage may result. Despite all the drawbacks, the Ransom Rest is the best device available for testing hand guns. I've seen some pretty exotic home made devices that worked but none as well as the Ransom.
GLB

Offline Questor

Ransom Rest....
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 08:27:00 AM »
I have seen that some users prefer to press the trigger with their trigger finger instead of with the built-in lever because there can be some inconsistency introduced by using the lever. I don't remember the problem exactly, but at least bullseye legend Alan Fulford had problems with the lever and used his fingers instead.

Thanks to Iowegan for itemizing the true expenses. Wow! It doesn't make me want to rush out and get one. I'll stick to my sandbag method.
Safety first

Offline IBS

One more thing...
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 12:21:14 PM »
Have you ever tried to make your own adaptors? I have been told people do this. Thanks for the input.

Offline Tusker

RANSOM REST< ANOTHER VIEW
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 05:02:18 AM »
:-) My experience seems to be a bit different. Since we are the ones to set the rest up, there could be a problem crop up from time to time. I also used the sandbags for years, but after having a chance to borrow a RR, I could not get one in fast enough. EVERYTHING--- has it's limits, but I firmly believe you will discover far more about your guns, and your loads with the rest than you ever will without it. Of course you need to mount it high enough, mine is mounted on some 5/4 pine, and it then will be clamped to the shooting bench. Yes, all must be tight- THAT stands to figure.  I have never had a problem of anything from a 22 to my 500 'shooting loose?' Nor have I had a problem with the lever? I suspect many of these problems crop up for new users, or, if you get in a hurry. You need to let the machine do it's job, by doing yours. I reload EVERYTHING I shoot, and would not be with out it for testing a new gun, or load. Do your job, and I believe the RR wil do it's job. I only wish I would have bought one 25 years ago, instead of letting the cost defer me. Also, NO, I have no interest in Ransom Rest, other than the one I own. While it is not the LAST answer, it is damn close to it. If you cannot make you gun, work in a RR,  chances are it never will, get rid of it. If your load does not work, chances are you need to dump it and find another. IMHO.

TUSKER