Author Topic: 250 savage AI  (Read 1581 times)

Offline scottzerger

• Trade Count: (0)
250 savage AI
« on: February 19, 2004, 03:58:27 PM »
Hey Guys

Does anyone know were to find load data on the 250AI ? I would like
         to buy a encore pistol bbl for this calibre but not sure how to load for
         it . Sould i work my loads up from the standard 250 sav and see
         how it goes?  

help

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
250 savage AI
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 12:25:47 PM »
That is the general rule. With the 250, in the Encore, I would start 2 grs. below max.

Offline scottzerger

250 AI loads
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 02:56:55 PM »
Just bought the new sierra load manual and they list severl possiblities.
 They also have a very nice narrative on most calibres.

Sierra made the 250Ai sound very attractive as a med game round. But i
 wounder why its not mentioned much on this forum.

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
250 savage AI
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 01:09:18 AM »
Scott,
One thing the 250 AI is, is efficient, and should prove to be effective also. I'll have to admit, when I was searching for a new Encore pistol round the 250 Ai never entered my mind. But it would lend itself to AI-ing very well, with as much taper as it has. I haven't figured it's effective range, but I know it's recoil would be least, of most comparable rounds.
I don't know why, it isn't more popular. I have only seen it mentioned once before also. But, if it does what you need it to do, and you like it. Then it really don't matter.
As with any cartridge, my biggest challenge comes from deciding on what bullet to use :wink:

Offline scottzerger

250AI
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 11:06:52 AM »
Onesonek

Thanks for responding. I know that there are larger calibres to chose
  from ( had a encore pistol in 308, way to much recoil. sold it.) but look-
  ing to stay in the pistol hunting game and i dont want a repeat of the
  above. So 250AI or 257 roberts may be for me.

Offline Prince of Wales

• Contributor
250 savage AI
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 06:28:34 AM »
Scottzerger you might also consider the new 25 WSSM. It should be with us for awhile and brass will be plentiful. Just a thought. Best of luck. POW

Offline wm.f. in fla.

250AI
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 10:21:58 AM »
i read somewhere that a rule of thumb for accuracy in the 250AI is your 250 SAVAGE load plus 10%. i tried it with RL15 and all bullet weights except 85gr bal.tips shot .500 or LESS!! my rifle is a #3 ruger,24" douglas air-guaged, laminated stock,hicks accurizer,moyer hammer, and kepplinger single set trigger. the 10% loads are 1.5 to 2 grains under the max suggested in the sierra vol.5 manual. Good Luck and Good Shooting!!
good luck and good shooting!

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
250 savage AI
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 01:25:57 PM »
I decided years ago that if I was ever going to have a wildcat, it would be the 250AI.  David Ward wrote it up several years ago in Gun Digest, and had nothing but praise for it.  It is probably the "Most Improved" of all the Ackley cartridges, and he developed his data in a new 20" barrel, so velocities could be even higher than he reported if you went with a longer barrel.  I can't remember what year the Digest ran the article, but probably in the mid-90's, if you have access.  Send me a PM if you're interested, and I'll try to track it down for you, or just e-mail you his data.

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline rpeacock

250AI
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 07:11:43 PM »
The 250 Ackley Improved is one of the finest rounds you can chamber a single shot pistol in in my humble opinion. I have shot one in an XP100 Remington for many years and have found no reason to change. Mine uses a Shilen Select match barrel with a JP tank brake on it, and is extremely accuarate. I have shot it several years in the Varmint Hunter Shootout and have taken many balloons at 500 yards with it in that competition. I have also made the VHA 500 yd Club on several occasions with it. It just never fails to amaze me what that round will do. Also very effective on Deer and Antelope and critters on down in size. I have always shot the 85 Nosler Balistic Tip, but have just started playing with the 115 gr. Balistic Tip to try to make the 1000 yd Club with it. Try the round, you will never regret it I think.  :grin:  :grin:  Russ
Russ Peacock

Offline 260 AAR

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.kailuacustom.com
250 savage AI
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 07:25:26 AM »
Hi Guys,
  I make up 4-7 of these every year and, having had one myself for over 20 yrs, can attest to it`s performance. Mine is based on a highly modified Rem 600 action, M16 extractor, 700 Bolt handle, Shilen 700 trigger, kevlar stock etc. I ONLY shoot Nosler Solid Base bullets and it consistently shoots in the 1/2" area if I do my part. Weight is only 5lbs 11 oz scoped with a Redfield 1-5 scope. I have taken 3 elk and numerous deer over the years. Wonderful cartridge and I recommend it highly.

Aloha, Mark
Hawaii No Ka Oe!

Offline varmintchaser-1

250AI
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 05:12:29 AM »
I have been shooting the caliber for about 30yrs now.  I presently have 2 rifles and 1 handgun chambered for the round.  I have found that IMR 4831 or RL15 shoots real well in them.  I have a custom Kimber of OR and Ruger #1 rifles and an a 15" Encore w/a Shilen barrel built VV chambered in the 250AI.  They all shoot under .050 (when I do my part) my Kimber w/shoot under .035  I have taken dogs out to 450yrs clean.  I am still working on my 500yrd shot.  I shoot 87 and 100gr bullets almost exculsively.  The Ruger #1 seems to favor the 115gr. You can't go wrong w/this caliber.  Thanks, Mike