Author Topic: Wanna help me pick a scope?  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Wanna help me pick a scope?
« on: May 21, 2004, 04:22:19 AM »
It's either for a .22LF or .22WM.  Both are very similar in the recoil department (virtually none), so it's not like one cartridge requires a heavier duty scope than the other.

As for rifle, I am seriously considering the CZ 452 American.  I'm not a wood and blue fan, but this gun would be just for plinking, and the occasional hunting, so a stainless/synthetic off road rifle is not really required.

The reason that I mention the rifle, in part, is because the bluing on the rifle is a rich, mirror-like blue.  As such, I would like to get a glossy scope, not a matte finish scope.

As most of you know, I am a huge Elite 4200 fan, and also a big Nikon Monarch fan.  However, although I always advocate getting the best glass you can afford, it should match your needs.  While putting a $1,000 scope on a $300 .22 won't hurt, it really is overkill if your intended purpose is just to plink with it and teach your girlfriend how to shoot.

Also, since this is a .22, which means that I will be shooting at distances of 50 yards, or maybe even less, that means that the scope must also be parallexed at such shorter distances.  Which thus means either I get a true rimfire scope, or get a regular scope with an AO.

As such, I was looking at either the Elite 3200 4x-12-40AO or the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x-14x-40mmAO.  I looked at the optic zone's website, and the prices are about the same.  That being the case, I would go with the Elite, especially since it is a bit shorter and lighter.  However, the problem with these two scopes is that they are both matte.

So now I'm looking at the Bushnell Trophy 4x-12x-40mmAO in gloss.  It actually is set up as an airgun scope, although it can certainly handle high power centerfire rifles, and can be focused as short as 10 yards.  Also, it has more elevation adjustments than either the Elite 3200 or the Nikon, and it costs much less.

I have never owned a scope that cost under $200.  In fact, all my scopes average around $400 to $450.

From my experience, the Trophy is great scope for the money, but I would not recommend any Bushnell scope under this line - generally speaking.

One thing is for certain, if I buy the rifle, which means that I'll buy the scope, I'm definately going to buy it from Jon at the opticzone.

In the meantime, however, what are your thoughts?

Zachary

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 04:44:50 AM »
Zachary, I love to spend your money!  :)  I have a Leupold compact 3x9EFR on my M52 Winchester (repro). Works great and not too expensive. It has an adjustable objective so close work is no problem. It tops off a great squirrel rig.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 05:30:40 AM »
If you don't need/want a variable you might try to find a Nikon Monarch in fixed 4x.  I found one at the the local KMart, when they closed down, for well under $200 and stuck it on a .17HMR.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 05:41:13 AM »
That's a good price, but I really would like a variable, especially up to 9x or so.

Zachary

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 06:34:53 AM »
Hi Zachary,

I have a CZ452 American .17hmr mounted with an Elite 4200 4-16x40, was my ultimate choice and a good one, IMO. But I'll throw in a suggestion that may or may not fly with you. I am fond of the Swift 676 as are many shooters, it is one of the few that come in a gloss finish and you can't beat their over the counter replacement policy, although I am not aware of very many instances where that has been used locally, anyway. My best friend of 35yrs has worked at a Swift dealer shop since '92, the returns he's experienced were questionable abuse and swift still replaced the scopes he sent back for replacement. He hasn't had anyone return a scope for any defects, which to me says a lot for Swift's QC. The Swift premier line is highly recommended at RFC. The 676 sells for $120-$190.  Shoot straight.  Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 07:03:59 AM »
I too have an Elite 4200 4x-16x-40mm AO....what a scope!  I just love it!  It's mounted on my Tikka Laminated Stainless in .25-06.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with spending more for a scope than the gun, but, for my application - just plinking and teaching my girlfriend how to shoot, the 4200 is too much scope for my use.

As for the Swift, I don't have too much experience with it.  I know that the Premier line is thier best, and the price is not too bad either.  It's kinda in the same price as the Trophy 4x-12x-40mm AO.

I'll definately consider it.

Zachary

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 09:31:36 AM »
How about a Simmons Atech 2.8-10x44 it's a great mid priced scope. My brother has one on a .30-06 holds zero year after year and very clear, comes with a sunshade also. Or Sightron they make a good scope as well. I don't shoot .22's so I don't know to much about the parralex thing but here are my to picks.  Hope it helps Zachary you sure have helped me out alot.
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/268061
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/700523

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 03:26:25 PM »
Zachery,
I've tried over thirty scopes on rimfires and air rifles.  I used every one that has been mentioned.

I agree that your .22 will be best with a scope with at LEAST 9X on the high end.  A couple of GREAT 3-9s are the Leupold 3-9X33 EFR #46402 and the Burris Compact 3-9X32AO #200284.  The Leupold is a little longer, 11.25 inches vs. 10.5 inches and the Burris is a little heavier at 13.0 ounces vs. 10.5 ounces.  The Leupold focuses from 10 yards to infinity where the Burris focuses from 7.5 yards to infinity.  OPTICALLY there's not two cents of difference between them.  Both are EXCELLENT scopes for their designed uses and really look just right on a good bolt-action .22.  

The next step up is the 4-12s.  I have the Bushnell 3200 4-12X40AO and Trophy 4-12X40AO.  Both are excellent scopes.  To tell the truth, there's not much the 3200 will do that the Trophy won't do.  I have had REALLY good luck with the 4-12X40AO Trophys and I have four of them.  They're all on air rifles and hold up well.  Both focus from 10 yards to infinity.  I also have a Simmons Pro Air 4-12X40AO and several Swift #676 4-12X40AOs.  Both are really good scopes with the optic edge going to the Simmons but the durability edge going to the Swift.  Swifts scopes are WAY under-rated.  I also have a Leupold VX-II 4-12X40AO.  It is CERTAINLY a step above the others.  It is also the shortest of any of the above scopes and is also the lightest by at least two ounces.  To me there are two standouts the Trophy 4-12X40AO and the Leupold VX-II 4-12X40AO.  The Trophy because it is a great scope for the money, and the VX-II because it's probably as good as any 4-12X40AO out there.

I wouldn't say that there would be anything wrong with a 4-16.  That's really a great magnification range.  There are also some SUPERB scopes in this magnification range.  I have the Bushnell 4200 4-16X50AO, Sightron 4-16X42AO, and the Weaver V-16 4-16X42AO.  These are all great scopes.  The Bushnell DOES have slightly better optics but I'm really not that fond of this scope.  Its weight and length takes away from an otherwise good scope.  I am CRAZY about the Sightron and the Weaver though.  I've never seen two scopes that compared any more closely.  The one plus in the Weavers favor is the AO IS more user friendly so, the nod goes to the Weaver V-16.

If I had to pick ONE of these, I'd pick the VX-II 4-12X40 and be done with it.  Runners up would be the either of the 3-9s.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2004, 02:08:52 PM »
As much as I like and recommend Bushnell scopes there really is no better choice in a rimfire scope than the Leupold Compact 3-9 AO with extended focus range. Excellent optics and solid mechanicals. Adjustable objective to take care of parallax at the closer ranges. It is what my rimfires wear.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Scope for plinking
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2004, 05:28:34 AM »
Since this scope if only going to be used for plinking and hunting sometimes, the Simmons 1022T is an exceptional scope for it's cost. I know in general you're not a simmon's fan but there sure are a lot of folks at RFC that really love this little scope, even dyed in the wool Leupold loyalists tout it.
http://www.simmonsoptics.com/page15/SimmonsPage15.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Zachary

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004, 12:55:46 PM »
I know that the optic zone also sells Simmons scopes.  As such, it something that I could consider because I have been soo darn pleased and happy with Jon's service at the optic zone.

However, you're right...I'm not a Simmons fan.  I think that it's a toss up between the Trophy 4x-12x-40mm AO or, as GB said, the Leupold 3x-9xAO.  I think that I'm leaning towards the Leupold, though, because it is so much shorter and lighter.  Still, I haven't made up my mind yet as which scope I'll get.

Zachary