Author Topic: Son's Rem 58 finished  (Read 940 times)

Offline Rogmatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Son's Rem 58 finished
« on: May 15, 2004, 04:57:20 PM »
Remember last month My 14 year old son bought this old Rem. 58 made in the 50s with his birthday money to restore. had a bent barrel, bad wood, blueing faded. He finished his project, had the bent portion cut off by gunsmith & crowned to a 19" cyl bore. We will test tomorrow at the range.Old & new pics below.

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Son's Rem 58 finished
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 01:41:35 AM »
:D What's the total cost of that gun now? Nice looking piece! You have had some really good projects lately, got me thinking about one of those Stevens in a 20 gauge to do myself.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
Son's Rem 58 finished
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 02:00:25 AM »
He paid 75.00 for it. Ordered some Oxpho Blue from Cabelas for 12.00 includes shipping. I had the steel wool already and the wood stain. Lots of elbow grease stripping the wood down. 20.00 to have the barrel cut and smith even installed a new bead. New buffer 5.00

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Son's Rem 58 finished
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 02:16:02 AM »
That is KEWL. $112 and some work, adds pride to what ya get in the end tho don't it? It is amazing what the pawn and gun shops have sometimes if ya keep looking ain't it? Got my eye on a couple them Stevens 94's myself  :wink:.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
Son's Rem 58 finished
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 02:23:05 AM »
A note about the Stevens 94. All gauge of barrels are interchangeable from .410 to 12. They can be bought usually for less than 70.00. Parts are available on   egunparts.com. I really love my Stevens 94 10ga with 36" barrel. Shoots great and is unique.

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
Son's Rem 58 finished
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 04:40:18 PM »
Came back from the range. The light 7/8oz target loads would not cycle, not even on low. I put high brass in 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4oz loads and it cycled perfectly. I guess I needed heavier loads. Will use a minimum of 1 1/8oz next time. felt good using those High brass. Not much recoil. sounds like a cannon with that short barrel. He loves it. thanks for the feedback.

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
Son's Rem 58 finished
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 05:38:32 AM »
I am hoping that someone can shed some light on the subject of shells for this 58. As stated in the previous post, 7/8oz
3 1/4 dram shells could not cycle it even on "L". If it is gas operated and not recoil operated, should the lead load matter. Most target loads are 3 dram or 2 3/4. If 3 1/4 can't cycle it, does that mean I will have to use high brass all the time. Don't want him to have to use high brass for clays. Forgive the ignorance, any thoughts appreciated. By the way, I have not tried 3 dram or 2 3/4 target loads yet with 1oz or more lead.
Sorry for the Remington subject, but after all I am a refugee from the old H&R site and I feel I am among family even with the semi-auto question.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Son's Rem 58 finished
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 05:55:37 AM »
The heavier the lead load the more internal pressure, assuming the same amount of powder.  With less powder and more lead, hmmmm, hard to say.  So the 1oz loads might cycle, might...  

One thing you might also do is take a dremal and some very very fine polishing compound and polish all of the moving parts.  Then very lightly oil with a teflon contianing oil.

Can you take the shotgun down to the point you see the "ports" drilled in the barrel?  Are the clear, any lead deposits shrinking the holes size and capacity?  And the gas ports and pistons clear of all the old soot and such?  You might want to soak the internal pasages in solvent and blow clear with brake cleaner or compressed air to get them clear.

I don't have any experience working on semi shotguns, just rifles and pistols, but hopefully I was able to help.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Son's Rem 58 finished
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 05:58:57 AM »
Also, how much did you cut the barrel?  The gas operating system is only under pressure while the load is in the barrel, then the pressure escapes out the end of the barrel.

Hmmm, you could ask your gun smith if he could open up the 'L' port a bit to allow more gas to flow and operate the action.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline blckpwdrshootr50

Son's Rem 58 finished
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2004, 01:12:54 PM »
Wow, I did the same thing with the same exact gun. Remington model 58 20 gauge. The one i got went through a fire and the stock was held to the reciever with electrical tape and was cracked everywhere. It couldn't be re-blued (I had to pick up some other stuff from a gunsmith) and now it looks so sweet. It doesnt quite have the sheen that bluing gives it, but it still is a great looking gun. I filled all the cracks perfectly and refinished it all. Also, the stock is now attached perfectly to the action (which could not be used as a repeater before hand). Now I can cycle shot after shot without worrying about the gun jamming at all. What a great rabbit gun, and even a light duck gun on occasion.

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
Son's Rem 58 finished
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004, 07:10:13 PM »
Did you have the 870 barrel done for it?Im thinking of having one done for mine so I can have multi chokes.Just as an experiment with the selector capset to low try blocking one of the vents. that should raise the pressure on the action.The other 5 should vent the gas. mine has 6 holes. good luck.

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
Son's Rem 58 finished
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 03:58:22 AM »
58 is cycling fine now as long as we use at least 1 1/8 oz loads. We did have my 12 ga wingmaster barrel 28" fixed mod drilled for the 58. With it, the gun cycles even better, even 1 oz loads.   Junior wants to keep the 19 1/4" barrel on it at cylinder bore. He loves it for clays and will use it for short range small game. He gave the 870 barrel back to me. I can use it on the wingmaster, but over time, it will probably damage or burn the wood, so I am having the holes filled with Devcon in about 2 weeks. I would sell it to someone who needs a 58 barrel, but 870 replacement barrels are not cheap, and i need to get my wingmaster back together.

Offline jschance

• Avid Poster
Cycling Problems
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 04:30:39 AM »
What has happened (I believe) is that when you cut the barrel down, you reduced the amount of gas available to cycle the action.  I had this problem when I ported an 11-87.

My solution was to take the light loads I wished to use and a needle file to the range.  I opened up the gas ports a little at a time until the gun would function with the loads I wanted.  You might want to look into this avenue.