Author Topic: The 30-30 is ready to test.  (Read 838 times)

Offline mag41vance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
The 30-30 is ready to test.
« on: June 09, 2004, 12:14:48 AM »
I've got some loads ready to go over to LeftoverDj's range to chrony, and group. Mostly surplus powder, with some w748 in the mix. I'll post the results later.
no x now!

Offline jeff223

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 12:47:37 AM »
good luck and have fun

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 04:03:21 PM »
This load was from some old Lyman data and somewhat good. Deserves more testing.
no x now!

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 04:09:22 PM »
one extreme to the other shows that the NEF can handle a variety of bullet weights. This 165 gr Gameking Sierra Spitzer also deserves more testing.

no x now!

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 04:20:05 PM »
This powder is suppose to be similar to BL-C2. The test were done after a rain storm with daylight fading fast, but overall I'm pleased with the results, and can start tweaking the loads.
 DJ gave me a bunch of .311 GC cast to test, so I guess I'll be loading and shooting some more for your viewing pleasure. :wink:

no x now!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 04:26:53 PM »
mag41
In your quest for the right load don't forget an important fact.  According to an article by Remington I read, they caution against hunting with bullets not designed for 30-30 velocities.  They say one reason the 30-30 has been such a stopper has been the fast opening bullets.  The open at moderate velocities, and hold together well because they're not entering at 3000fps.

Just something to think about.  I guess make sure your most accurate load opens up when it should.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
30-30
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 04:27:09 PM »
Vance Keep up the good work, and keep us posted :)  Itry some of
those loads when I get back to my  30-30 :D  Marv.

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 04:43:11 PM »
Quote from: handirifle
mag41
In your quest for the right load don't forget an important fact.  According to an article by Remington I read, they caution against hunting with bullets not designed for 30-30 velocities.  They say one reason the 30-30 has been such a stopper has been the fast opening bullets.  The open at moderate velocities, and hold together well because they're not entering at 3000fps.

Just something to think about.  I guess make sure your most accurate load opens up when it should.

Those are all good and valid points. LeftoverDj and I had that same discussion today as to what game those different bullets would ethically work on. I do believe For deer size animals the flat point bullets are the best in the 30-30.
 My testing is just testing for accuracy in the NEF sb2 and trying to get an acceptable card for the next PM.
   It brings me alot of enjoyment!
no x now!

Offline JPH45

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 06:12:30 PM »
The Sierra GameKings and ProHunter bullets are both simple cup and core projectiles. Last year, shooting the 150 Game King, a boat tail spire point, into wet newsprint from 75 yards, I recovered 2 that the core had seperated from the jacket. These loads were not traveling faster than 2300 fps and were more likely in the low 2200's.

I plan on doing some similar testing using the Hornady 150 SST, this is a quick opening bonded core bullet using a plastic tip like the Nosler Ballistic tip design. Another bullet that while costly should work quite well is the Nosler 150 Partition. I am going to try out some Nosler Partition 180's as soon as I get them paid for. The Speer 180 Mag Tip is another bullet that has good opening characteristics at low velocities that should work nicely at 30-30 velocities. Finally , the plain jane Speer 165 Spire point that is a Hot Core design should also work well at the velocities the 30-30 is capable of in the Handi 22" barrel.

There are actually quite a few good bullets to choose from that are spire point designs that will funtion fine at 30-30 velocities. The "trick", if you would, is generally using bullets of not more than 165 grains. These bullets are designed to perform at 300 to 400 yards from the 300 Savage, 308 and 30-06. So long as the range doesn't exceed 200 yards, the velocities attainable from the 30-30 22" Handi Rifle are good matches for the design envelope of these bullets. The trend in jacketed bullet design these days is away from hard bullets and toward bullets that expand rapidly, that will shed the mushroom if the expansion is too violent (a result of too high impact velocity) while leaving a hard base portion of the bullet that will retain about  65% of bullet weight and continue to penetrate even when the nose has been torn off. The lower velocities of the 30-30, falling in the range of the low end velocity performance window gives us bullets that perform nicely while increasing the practical range of the oldtimer.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline JPH45

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 06:16:03 PM »
Oops, forgot, Nice groups Vance  :-)
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc