Author Topic: Marine reccommended for the "Medal of Honor"  (Read 560 times)

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
Marine reccommended for the "Medal of Honor"
« on: June 03, 2004, 06:37:35 PM »
Marine Cpl. Jason Dunham of Scio, New York was serving in Iraq with Kilo, 3/7 Marines as a squad leader. On April 14th he was fighting with an Iraqi that had a "grenade". There was at least two other Marines involved in the fight. The Iraqi dropped the grenade and Dunham covered it with his helmet and body saving the other two Marines.
"I deeply believe that given the evidence presented he clearly understood the situation and attempted to block the blast of the grenade from his squad members," wrote his battalion commander, Lt. Col. Matthew lopez, in a May 13th letter recommending Dunham for the Medal of Honor, the nation"s highest award for miliary valor. "His personal action was far beyond the call of duty and saved the lives of his fellow Marines" Lopez said.
Marine Corps Commandant Michael Hagee pinned the purple heart to Dunham's pillow in the hospital.
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Marine reccommended for the "Medal of Honor"
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 01:20:46 AM »
Quote from: New York Hunter
Marine Cpl. Jason Dunham of Scio, New York was serving in Iraq with Kilo, 3/7 Marines as a squad leader. On April 14th he was fighting with an Iraqi that had a "grenade". There was at least two other Marines involved in the fight. The Iraqi dropped the grenade and Dunham covered it with his helmet and body saving the other two Marines.
"I deeply believe that given the evidence presented he clearly understood the situation and attempted to block the blast of the grenade from his squad members," wrote his battalion commander, Lt. Col. Matthew lopez, in a May 13th letter recommending Dunham for the Medal of Honor, the nation"s highest award for miliary valor. "His personal action was far beyond the call of duty and saved the lives of his fellow Marines" Lopez said.
Marine Corps Commandant Michael Hagee pinned the purple heart to Dunham's pillow in the hospital.
Dali Llama say New York Hunter have reason be proud of fellow Empire State soldier.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline NYH1

Marine reccommended for the "Medal of
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 07:23:03 AM »
You can read the whole story at http://www.molly-thompson.net/index.php?P=70&c=1. Scroll down a little you 'll see it.
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 07:36:38 AM »
Quote from: New York Hunter
You can read the whole story at http://www.molly-thompson.net/index.php?P=70&c=1. Scroll down a little you 'll see it.
Thanks for interesting read, say Dali Llama. :-)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 12:43:14 PM »
I don't know Cpl. Dunham personally, but go through his home town quite often.
   Scio is a quiet, rural town across the county line from me, about 30 miles.
   Allegany county, the home county for Scio is a very poor county , economically speaking. It is however, rich in history, scenery and is a top spot nation-wide for whitetail deer as well as other game .
   Good old "country folk" with a way of "plain -speaking"...
  Looks like Cpl. Dunham had a way of "plain-acting", a man that acted sacrifically for his team..
   Again; as I have stated...this is an example of the "cream-of-the-crop" among today's younger generation.
  With our men and women in the military today, we may be observing the second "greatest generation"....agreed?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 04:52:02 AM »
Quote from: ironglow
I don't know Cpl. Dunham personally, but go through his home town quite often.
   Scio is a quiet, rural town across the county line from me, about 30 miles.
   Allegany county, the home county for Scio is a very poor county , economically speaking. It is however, rich in history, scenery and is a top spot nation-wide for whitetail deer as well as other game .
   Good old "country folk" with a way of "plain -speaking"...
  Looks like Cpl. Dunham had a way of "plain-acting", a man that acted sacrifically for his team..
   Again; as I have stated...this is an example of the "cream-of-the-crop" among today's younger generation.
  With our men and women in the military today, we may be observing the second "greatest generation"....agreed?
Yes, concur Dali Llama. :grin: