Author Topic: price check S&W model 10  (Read 648 times)

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
price check S&W model 10
« on: June 11, 2004, 01:13:20 PM »
I have found a S&W model 10 38 spl with the 2 inch barrel in good shape-guy is asking $300--fair? and will the model 10 handle the heavier 38 loads? +p stuff or what ever...

Thanks

Dave

Offline oso45-70

• Trade Count: (0)
hand gun general discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 03:53:57 PM »
Lubbockdave
Not too bad of a price if its in real good shape and yes you can shoot plus
p loads in it, I don't think i would give it a steady diet of the heavier loads.
I have shot many hundreds of rounds through the mod. 10 S&W and never had a problem with them. Got my first one in 1948. I started loading and casting my bullets for my little 38 and havent stopped.
Have a good day Dave................Joe..................................................
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
price check S&W model 10
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 08:15:10 AM »
I'd offer $250 cash and be happy if he said okay, if not, Model 10's are everywhere.  As was said, a steady diet of heavy loads is not what the gun was designed for, but now and then wouldn't hurt it.

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
price check S&W model 10
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 01:52:05 PM »
That is WAY more than they sale for around here. Here $200-225 is a good price. I have a really nice one I'd sure like $250 for but can't seem to get it in this area. I've not tried selling online. I'd sure not give $300 for one. Mine is a 4" by the way.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
price check S&W model 10
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 03:47:34 PM »
Thanks greybeard, but I was looking for a 2 in barrel...

how about a model 19 S&W 357??

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
price check S&W model 10
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 11:20:45 AM »
Luv dem Model 19s but expect to pay at least $100 to $150 more for one than a Model 10.

Really to me any K frame even a snubby is way to big and heavy for a concealed carry gun. If I'm toting a revolver for concealed carry it is gonna be no larger than a J frame and made with aluminum or titanium frame for light weight. Even my 3" Model 60 is too dang heavy for me to use for conceal carry but it is a fine bedside gun.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rockbilly

price check S&W model 10
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 04:14:28 PM »
That sounds awful high for a model 10.  At a recent gun show, I saw several.  They ranged in price from $125 to $200.  The two hundred dollar gun was a 4 inch bull barrel that had an a rib and Lyman sights, and a nice set of grips added.  It was a nice conversion job.

As for the +P, I have carried my model 10 with +P.  It was intended "for emergency use only."  My gunsmith had looked the gun over and said he thought it would be safe to shoot the +P, but recommended I not put the gun on a steady diet of that ammo.  I shot woodcutters or hardball for practice.  I only loaded the +P when I thought I needed a little extra zip for the cause.................

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
I'm am not so sure on the +P
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004, 04:32:26 PM »
I would not be to anxious to use the +P loads just yet.

The model 10 is set for 158 gr bullet, that is the point of aim at 25 yds will be dead on.  I do not believe that the +P loads will be to point of aim.  I may be full of crap but my 10's will not shoot to p.o.a. with a +P.  They do great with a plan 158 gr lswc.

Plus P ammo is for a more modern model 10, be sure that you are not looking at the pre model 10 or the M & P.  

If you need a more "deadly" load ask Mikey for his 200 gr bullet load.

Good luck,

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline rockbilly

price check S&W model 10
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 05:01:05 PM »
Happyhunter,  I agree with your comments.  I don't recommend the +P in the model 10, and one has to be very careful if they do use them to ensure they do not feed them to the old M&P or a pre-war model.  My model 10 was made in 1976, I bought it new while stationed in Germany.  It has had very few rounds put thru it (maybe 300).  I carried it in my vehicle for a while, before the CCL in Texas.  I did carry with the +P, but as I said it was "for emergency only."  I wanted the extra power for penetration and was of the frame of mind that any use would be less than ten yards.  I carried the model 10 because it had to be left in the vehicle at some questionable places, I didn't want to take a chance of losing one of my better handguns.  Today  the old model 10 is back in the safe, when I go out it's in style, either my .40 Sig, or my Para .45.

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Rockbilly
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 12:52:54 AM »
Rockbilly,

" Today the old model 10 is back in the safe, when I go out it's in style, either my .40 Sig, or my Para .45."

Now I never said that the model 10 wasn't "styling". :D   Fact is, the Smith Revolver is, in my opinion, the essence of style.

Thanks

Fred :grin:
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Old Griz

price check S&W model 10
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2004, 07:14:37 PM »
:cb2: I know you are looking at a 2" but I just bought a 4" that looks like it just came out of the box for $175 at a sporting goods store. It probably hadn't had more than 50-100 rounds through it, cleaned real good and stored in a good safe place. No wear at all, and made in 1966. I say all that because I think someone is holding you up if he wants $300 for it. For about $50 more around here I could get a brand new one (though they only come in 4" now), or even a 2.5" M66 or 3" M65. And then you'd have a .357 so you could shoot .38+Ps all day.

Sound like a :bye: deal to me.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."