Author Topic: 25-06 Ultra #3 update.  (Read 717 times)

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
25-06 Ultra #3 update.
« on: June 09, 2004, 11:10:30 AM »
The 85 gr Fowler shot again the best 3 shot group at 5/8 and the 100gr Hornady 1-1/4, all others with the 117gr were 1-3/4. 1-7/8, 2-1/4 and 2"
all with reduced charges of H1000. One load with 50.ogr Reloder 22 had a sticky case non outstanding. All testing was done at 100 meters.

At the range I met a shooter that came with four Handi's, he said he has  12 of them in most calibers.  He said his 270 only shoots on bullet really well. the 243 shoots 3/8 groups with 100gr BT. He claims that you can only get the best accuracy with handloads. He never found a factory load for any of his rifles that he was happy with.

I know now that handloads have to be made with great care. neck tension on the tight side. I use no expander button and outside neck ream the cases. A minimum of 0.003" headspace is most important. The 25-06 and all cases based on the 06 are notorious for stretching and brass flow towards the neck. I have been using the same 18 brass 6 times now and trimmed them each time I loaded them and outside neck reamed them twice.

It is obvious now that the  rifle likes a premium bullet like the Fowler match bullet. Actually there is no need to use any bullets heavier than 100gr. The Hornady 100gr interlock is a very good game bullet and the Handi is quite happy with them. I toke 14 animals deer and Antelope with 15 shots with the 100gr Interlock in my 25 Hunter. Only one with a lung shot ran 100yards all others dropped where they stood.

The 100 gr Nosler Partition is another very good bullet in a 25. I only shot one deer with that bullet.

The 25-06 is a very unbalanced case and holds too much powder for the 25 bore together with the 17deg shoulder and the sloping body it is a finicky case to load for, specially when you have to keep the pressure down.

I have three more brands of 100gr bullets I will try to see if I can get below 1" with a hunting bullet. I think I can. I never had so much trouble to make a rifle shoot well. I have heard so much about clover leave, 3/8 and quarter inch groups, but not with this Handi.

Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.