Author Topic: ultra slug hunter;going to pennslylvania???????????///  (Read 855 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
ultra slug hunter;going to pennslylvania???????????///
« on: June 01, 2004, 09:31:54 AM »
well it looks like i'm going to pennsalvania to go deer hunting with my uncle and cousins :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D . mt questian is should i take my ultra slug hunter 20 ga. with my 3-9x40 bushnell?????? or my uncle's old J/C Higgins .270 win. with a 3-9x40 bushnell??????. i can shoot acurratly[please tell me how to spell acurratly and pennsalvania :oops:  :oops: ] out to 175 yds with the 20 ga. and the  win part. golds have the power for deer out at 175. with the .270 i cant get much farther than 200 yds anyway so i thoght wy not take the the ultra slug hunter that i'm more comfortable with and just weight for a shot under 200 yds :grin: the'll probley make fun of me for the single shot 20 .ga but the jokes on them cause they've never used a h&r or nef :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :) . so what do you think i should take?? :?  :? . they said the shots would be under 250 yds. so what do y'all think???.
~buckslayer :wink:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
ultra slug hunter;going to pennslylvania???
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 09:48:41 AM »
100 yards with a 20ga sabot, sure!!!! 125 ok. but 175 yards??? not this boy!! that is just going farther then the gun is meant to do, i would stay 125 or under myself. as far as the 270 goes, 300 yards is no problem for a 270. so if you are looking at anything over 125 yards, then i would go with the 270. i have owned a couple myself over the years, and i can tell you the 270win is very deadly at long range. :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  and would make a MUCH cleaner kill at long range.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 10:04:21 AM »
Take the 20 that your are familiar with and confident in and keep your shots within reason. I have hunted Western Pennsylvania with my brother-in-law and his friends and an Ultra Slug would do just fine for shots taken within your effective and realistic range....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline buckslayer

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 02:23:20 PM »
thanks for the input, VC these part golds have 900 ft/lbs at 200 yds :eek:  :eek: if a deer can take this through the lungs and not die whithin a 100 yds shot at 175 yds:eek:  :eek: dont think a .270 would kill him. i'll shoot a deer as far as i can shoot accuratly[175 yds 5 '' groups] i'll do just fine. ounce again y'all give good and helpfull info 8)  8)  8)

Offline mountainview

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 08:14:40 PM »
Western PA was a place I hunted many moons ago and had the good fortune to harvest several nice whitetails. Never took a shot over 50 yards on any deer so it is a toss up as to which is better. Most of the terrain is hilly bordering on steep and wooded/brush with some open patches. This probably explains in part the popularity of the Rem 760/7600 which a lot of folks preferred (at least back then). Farm fields are generally the primary open spaces and given the hilly terrain, not really large by most standards. Either firearm/cartridge will do fine provided you do your part.  

Good luck and safe hunting.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 03:38:46 AM »
Um, I'd take both.  Never hurts to have a backup!  If you're going to be hunting with limited ranges one day take the ultra slug.  If you're going to be hunting a field edge where you can see a long ways, have a steady rest (shooting sticks, bipod, backpack, etc) take the .270.  Use the win part golds in the slugger and your favorite flavor of 130 or 140 grain bullet in the .270.

Then if you have a scope that dies, firing pin break, ammo gets soaked (fall in creek, sucks....), etc you won't miss a beat.  Just get the backup out and get back out there.

Later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 08:46:17 AM »
BS<--------- Winchester part golds do shoot good. that is what is used in my son's 20ga tracker with a peep sight on it, but at 200 yrds i dont care about the 900lbs of energy, it will be about in the dirt. i played around at 150, and the old hood of a car, and my bench, and i found them a foot or so low at that point, now i dont have a scope, and i am sighted at 100, but if i lost close to a foot at 150, then it would seem that at 200, they would be about in the dirt. i had to use the hood to make sure i could sight in the right place with the peep sight, but by the sound of the hilly, woody, close range area you will be hunting, then by all means that 20ga slugger will work great. as far as the fields go, i would take a longer range rifle if i was you, but only my two cents.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 02:59:41 PM »
Dear Buckslayer:
 Whereabouts in western Pa? Guys use everything round here for deer. Probably mostly 30/06 bolt action. Probably take the gun out of the case two or three times a year, and once for sightin in.
 Gee, you got a real decision to make. The shotgun is great, but if ya don't bring the rifle, you're sure to see one out of range! Tell ya what, worry more bout yer shootin and less bout yer spellin, and you'll be fine, cause one matters an t'other don't!
                                                              Woodbutcher

Offline buckslayer

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 02:21:30 PM »
i'll be in a place called greysville. bout an hour from pittsbugh. VC the pat gold slugs, sighted in at 150 yds will be 2.9" high at 50 yds and 2.5 at 100 yds o.o at 150 3.0 at 175 8.0 at 200 :eek:  :eek:  :eek: now thats a flat shooter :eek:  a scope does help out to 175 yds. i'm more comfortable at 150 and under :lol:  :lol: . i'll probley take my ultra slugger :D  :D  :D  thanks for the info :-D  :-D