Author Topic: Suggestions for conceal/carry .45 colt?  (Read 732 times)

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
Suggestions for conceal/carry .45 colt?
« on: May 27, 2004, 03:19:29 PM »
I am in need of another conceal/carry handgun and I want it in .45 colt as this is my favorite cartridge and so easy to reload for. I have a Vaquero and a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .45 colt too.

Any suggestions? Any of you carry a .45 colt?
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Walosi

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 07:45:15 PM »
I carry a S&W 625-6 Mountain Gun in all but the hotest weather. The IWB rigs I have tried (and liked) are the Alessi Hideout, Tucker Gunleather Texas Heritage, and the Cabo IWB. The Cabo rides the highest, with the cylinder above the belt, and is the most comfortable of the three.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 09:01:29 PM »
I assume you are talking about carrying a DA revolver, right?  Oh, you're not?  EGADS!!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 11:25:33 PM »
I also carry a Mag-Na-Ported 45 LC Mountain Gun in a nice Kramer holster. It is my favorite cartridge also. Also have a 7 1/2" Ruger Bisley, a Winchester Trapper, a Colt SAA, and a Contender barrel in this caliber.

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: Suggestions for conceal/carry .45 colt?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 06:54:27 AM »
Quote from: bigjeepman
I am in need of another conceal/carry handgun and I want it in .45 colt as this is my favorite cartridge and so easy to reload for. I have a Vaquero and a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .45 colt too.

Any suggestions? Any of you carry a .45 colt?

See if either of these fill the bill:
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=450SS2ULC&category=Revolver

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=460SH4C&category=Revolver

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 04:42:41 AM »
The soft lined nylon holster worn crossdraw works great for me. This is with the 7-1/2" Vaquero. Field test (on a yote hunt) included plenty of walking, sitting, & lying prone. Hardly knew it was there.

Hi Dusty
When I get that S/A revolver out & lined, the hammer is self cocking! seems to automatically cock itself for additional shots! I do have alot of experience with the B/P 1860 army & .36 navy colts though.

Offline Castaway

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 05:20:49 AM »
Have to say it's my favorite pistol cartridge too.  My philosophy is to carry the biggest caliber your clothing allows.  As far as carrying, you have many more options in Indiana than I do in Florida when you consider clothing.  If you're intent on toting your Vaquero, I'd go with a shoulder rig and jacket.  I've not found anything else that allows me to carry a big revolver or auto-loader in a discrete manner and still allow me to sit down without adjusting the barrel or worrying about if I'm flashing someone.  I now carry a Kal-Tec P32.  Not the best man-stopper, but like we said in the Army about our brain buckets, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  Ten months out of the year it's short pants weather here and jackets or fanny packs might as well flash a neon sign and say you're armed.  Shirts not tucked in are just as obvious, depending on where you hang out.

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 01:07:14 PM »
Dawei ...

Nice looking Taurus revolvers there ... my brother has a couple of Taurus' in .45 acp that he really likes. I have read pros and cons on the Taurus product line. Thanks for the info ..

S & W Mountain gun ... more than I would like to spend at this particular time but I am quite sure it is a quality firearm ... son in college, getting ready to relocate, etc are some of the reasons.

Glanceblamm ... you carry 7.5" Vaquero as a conceal gun? Mine is 5.5" and I cannot imagine carrying mine for this. I was just thinking a little smaller and maybe the Taurus idea might be the way I go being DA and all.

Castaway ... I have just fallen in love with the .45lc. It is so easy to reload for and such a history dating back to 1873. There was no doubt when my son and I went boar hunting in Tennessee last November what caliber we were going to use. Two shots at two boars that went straight down using our Marlin Cowboy. We used CorBon ammo then but I reload for it now using Hornady HP/XTP 250gr or 250gr cast bullets.

Thanks for your feedback guys ... obviously a group with a love for a great caliber ....
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less