Author Topic: Handi vs. BC 45/70 Velocity  (Read 914 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Handi vs. BC 45/70 Velocity
« on: June 10, 2004, 04:07:57 PM »
I was curious if anyone here has ever compared the velocity of a 45/70 load out of the Handi, to the velocity of the same load from a BC? After chopping off 5" of barrel from my BC, I was wondering what the velocity change would be. I know I've been a cheap %@#$@&*^ for not buying a chronograph, but something else keeps coming up.
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 04:14:49 PM »
It will be a while but when I get mine I'll make note of it.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline like2shoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 04:15:50 PM »
Have you already had your barrel cut? If so, how does it swing now?
Shoot straight , shoot often.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 04:46:08 PM »
If it swings anything like my Ultra with the 22" 45-70 barrel, it swings like a good fitting shotgun :lol:
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 06:31:46 PM »
Yeah...thanks Blue for makin me a little poorer....after thinking about your lil project...I sent one of my receivers off to have a BC barrel fitted...I'm thinkin of chopping it also...maybe adding a brake too.. :wink:
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 09:49:22 AM »
The BC does now sport  a 27" barrel! Maybe the only one? It feels real different, it has a much better balance and swing, lack of weight front and back, I removed the lead filled 8" copper pipe, it's no longer needed. I have the Leupold 2.5-8X40 on it, and my first shooting, done at 50 yards, gave me 1/2-3/4" groups using 405 gr. cast bullet handloads. The best part, is that I did it myself. After my talk with the smith, I decided to cut the barrel down using a hacksaw with the barrel clamped in a miter box, and then polished the cut smooth with a Dremel tool and cold blued the finished muzzle. I thought I'd give it a shot before getting it crowned, just to see what it would do. I may still get it crowned, but I'm not sure I need it. The biggest difference I noticed is the lessening of recoil. I can only assume that by traveling a shorter distance, the bullet doesn't get a chance to exert as much recoil. It should make a much better hunting rifle at this size, and configuration. I also broke down and put a set of sling swivels on it. I think I'm ready to drop some whitetails.
Don

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 09:51:36 AM »
Quote from: Deadeye47
Yeah...thanks Blue for makin me a little poorer....after thinking about your lil project...I sent one of my receivers off to have a BC barrel fitted...I'm thinkin of chopping it also...maybe adding a brake too.. :wink:

You might feel poorer now, but wait until that barrel comes back, you'll be wearin' a million dollar smile. :lol:
Don

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 11:12:41 AM »
Thanks Blue...ya got me all riled up thinkin about yours and I had been thinking about it for a while now. Cutting it was because of your suggestion. I won't ruin you reign though  and will only cut mine to 28..leaving claim to the 27" barrel all to youself!! :)...P.S. what cha got burnin behind those 405's??? Unique??
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 11:37:06 AM »
I'm really likeing what I'm reading here.  I guess I have to send off for a BC barrel too.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »
Quote from: Deadeye47
P.S. what cha got burnin behind those 405's??? Unique??

I haven't tried Unique....yet. I'm getting good groups with Varget, but it really burns dirty leaving a lot of deposits in the barrel, if that matters. They didn't do to good with Benchmark.  I loaded a few 405 gr. with Hodgdon 777 to see how that'll go and some 350 JRN from Speer, with H4895 but haven't tried either of them yet.  I tried to get the 400 gr. Speer, but T+T was out of them. I have been eyeing the JB Young 540 gr. Craters, but I don't know what I'd use them on, the deer around here would drop just looking at them. :)
Don

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 03:00:30 PM »
An interesting reply from some Marlin 1895, and Guide Gun owners. They report a difference in velocity of 100-150 FPS between the 18" and 24" 45/70 barrels. The average being about 20 FPS per inch of barrel, depending on the specific load.  I don't think the difference would be as great with longer barreled BC's. In the past, I've always used the 20 FPS per inch, to estimate the velocity of BC loads in comparison to the standard 24" published loads you usually find, but even that may be exagerated when comparing the 24" to the 32" barrel.
Don