Author Topic: Looking for Partner(s) to Hunt North Manitou Island MI 04  (Read 470 times)

Offline HuntenNut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Looking for Partner(s) to Hunt North Manitou Island MI 04
« on: June 09, 2004, 01:10:54 PM »
None of my friends are crazy enough to attempt this hunt, and it is ill advised to go alone, so I am looking for a partner or partners interested in going on this hunt. Anyone who has hunted the island and is familiar with it is obviously welcome, as well as anyone who has not but is dedicated and physically up to a serious backcountry hunt. I myself have not done this hunt, but have done several backcountry hunts of smaller time duration.

This is a special population control hunt for whitetail deer which have no natural predator on the island. The only cost is for a regular MI deer tag and a lottery entrance fee of around $25. Deer do not count against your MI bag limit. Also, there is a parking fee and backcountry pass fee. Access to the island is by ferry only, so there is also a small fee for that. Information can be gott from

http://www.nps.gov/slbe/NMI_hunt.htm

The hunt is on North Manitou Island which is part of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Forest. It is approx 15 miles off the west coast of MI in Lake MI. The island is approximately 15,000 acres (about 4 miles wide by 7 miles wide). Terrain is rugged for MI with max elevation change of almost 500ft from lake level. The island is primitive with no modern facilities. No fires are allowed, and low impact methods are mandatory. The ferry comes by once a week, weather permitting, and may be off schedule by as much as 3 days if bad weather prevents passage, so you must be prepared for as much as 10 days. All food and gear must be packed in (no vehicles are allowed). All water must be manufactured using portable filter (like PUR Hiker, etc.).

They have several hunts through October and November, but I am looking at the 1st week of rifle, which will be the last week of October. The rut may be starting on then, and you have advantage of the first week (there are 2 weeks of rifle). The first 2 weeks will be archery and 3rd week muzzleloader, but not much rut activity is likely until the end of Oct.

You will need a good expedition sized pack capable of carrying 70-80lbs (and be able to pack it for 4-5 miles). A warm but light weight sleeping bag (I recommend a 0deg down bag, no more than 4lbs). You will also want to be taking 10 days worth of freeze dried or dehydrated foods. I have an excellent tent that is roomy enough for 2 men with gear, or you may also wish to bring your own tent. I also have portable stove, pots and pans, water filter, although, I am a big guy and eat a lot, so I recommend you have your own cook gear and water filter.

A single bicycle wheeled buck tote is allowed, but in my opinion, is not worth the extra trouble, as with only one wheel, would be difficult to handle on rough terrain. If a deer is harvested. I have quartered and de-boned many deer. Only meat, head and hide will be packed out. This can be done with your expedition pack and garbage bags.

If you are SERIOUSLY  interested in this hunt, please PM me or send me an email.