Author Topic: Opinion on best 9mm for $500  (Read 1042 times)

Offline gunkid

• Trade Count: (0)
Opinion on best 9mm for $500
« on: July 18, 2004, 09:02:08 AM »
:D I am a new shooter. I have talked with several people and it seems that the general consensus is to go for  9mm first. I have heard that if you learn on a .45, not only is ammo more expensive, you also learn to anticipate the kick of the .45 and can mess you up when switching to a different type of gun. I thought about .40 but the ammo is about as expensive, but supposedly nice to fire. As I mentioned in the subject line, I would like to spend around $500 a little more is ok a little less is also ok. I would  like to buy one within the next 2 or so months. I have heard really good things about the H&K 9mm compacts, one of my friends has one, i've not gotten to fire it yet, but hopefully will be able to soon. I've also heard great things about the glock 9mm however, I would like something with a safety especially since this is to be my first gun. So what is your opinion on best 9mm for $500 for a new shooter? Thanks for your advice.

edit:I know the H&K is expensive and if I went that way I would have to get a used one.

Offline TScottW99

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 09:27:18 AM »
Do you want this as a CCW/Home Defense/Range or Plinking gun?

The H&K and Glock 17/19/26 are all good guns.  As is the Sig P226 & P229.  Of course there is also the CZ 75 line.  I'm also a huge fan of the Browning Hi-Power and the Springfield XD9.

I would consider the most important thing... find the gun that you feel comfortable with and can shoot well.  All of the guns listed above are good guns along with others not mentioned.  (Beretta 92, Ruger P series, etc... )  

If you can get to a range and try some differn't brands out, it would help you more then I can.

We all like differn't guns and dislike others ( myself, I can't stand Berettas  :)  )  Good luck to ya'.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 10:04:51 AM »
Springfield XD-9  8)
JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline gunkid

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 02:16:29 PM »
Basically I want a good shooting range gun. I'm not going to apply for a concealed weapons permit or anything like that. I just want something that's gonna be accurate, reliable and good to learn with. Also I was thinking compact because my hand is big but my fingers are kinda short. Even the 9mm compact I have to turn to the side slightly to hit the mag eject. With the full size I think it would be just a little too much.

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 06:39:09 PM »
gunkid,
Try the feel of a CZ-75.  I have short fingers, but the CZ fits me fine.
Best,
TnNuc

Offline brasschaser

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 06:58:32 AM »
Hey gunkid, I'd say all those listed are good recomendations.  Just don't go cheap and get some no-name piece of junk.  I think the Springfield XD is a great bargain, but don't believe it has a manual safety.  The HK and Sig are also great ones, but too pricey IMHO.  I think you're right to start with a 9, but even better would be a 22 if you're just starting.  By the way, I've got a like new (only took it to the range about 4-5x) Ruger KP89 stainless I'm going to be selling here soon too for about $340 if you're interested.  (has to go to a FFL)

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 12:40:57 PM »
ok im going too get stoned big time for this but here it gos

gun buying 101 by dave lol

1) if you need an auto buy german
2) if you need a shot gun italian
3) if you need a single action  fa or ruger
4) if you need a rifle winchester
5) if you want a d. action s&w
6) if you need a single shot t/c
7) an most importantly when it comes to every thing any thing an your life depends on it theirs only one gun
1911 :0)

Offline strider72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 04:53:08 PM »
Try a Witness on for size. A good CZ clone that is cheaper too.

Offline 77hiboy

9mm under $500
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 05:19:08 PM »
Hey gun kid, you were given alot of good choices, but I have to agree with Tennesseenuc, and TScottW99, the Cz is a great gun for the money, very well made with good ergonomics. I just purchased a CZ 40P in 40 S&W, me and my brother went out to shoot it and he liked it so much he had me order him one. Great gun for $300. Good luck in your search, but check out a CZ I think you will like it.

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 06:58:06 PM »
Perhaps the best advice ever given to me concerning buying a pistol was for me to handle them all within my price and expected quality range.......... then buy the one that fit. What does "fit" mean? The minute your hand grasps the gun you will know that is the one that "fits". Buy that one regardless of who says what to you.

A gun that "fits" the shooter will be the one they shoot a lot because it feels right. It will also be the gun they are the most accurate with because it "fits" it will be shot a lot. And, if a person is considering carrying concealed, a gun that "fits" will be carried often because it is comfortable being there.

If a gun doesn't "fit".......... it will be left home locked up and ignored and be just plain useless.

My 2 cents for what it is worth.
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline magooch

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 04:46:42 PM »
Here's one that I don't think has been mentioned yet--Taurus Pt 99.  I've got several 9 mms and none of them are any more accurate, reliable or just plain good looking.  I have the stainless PT 99 and it has yet to fail to feed, misfire, jam, or do anything wrong.  It is the only 9 mm that I will even bother to shoot from 100 yards.  And it isn't one bit fussy about what kind of ammo I feed it.

As you might know, these particular Taurus' are a Beretta design, but Taurus has changed things around a little bit.  I don't know if they are still available, but I have a 17 round clip for mine.  That's 18 rounds of firepower, if you put one in the chamber.  Another nice feature of the Taurus is how easy it strips for cleaning.  Check em out.
Swingem

Offline Border Bandit

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 03:20:46 PM »
Get ya a used P239 in 9mm and you can't go wrong, got one myself and love it