Author Topic: Barrel receveiver switch  (Read 573 times)

Offline rmtaylor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Barrel receveiver switch
« on: June 08, 2004, 11:47:07 AM »
I took my 223 which was fitted to another receiver and tried it on my 357 receiver. Locks up tight and can see no gap at the chamber end when closed. What else should I look for?

I have a lot of extra weight in my other receiver that I added for my 45-70. I hope I can use the heavy receiver for my 45-70 or 270 barrel and use the light receiver for my 223 and 357. Also when my sons go to the range with me it will help keep us all shooting.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline Deadeye47

Barrel receveiver switch
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 01:12:50 PM »
To keep the hand wringers from soiling themselves or breaking their wrists....have a good gun mechanic check it..I'm sure it will be fine but....well.... refer to the first part of the sentence..... :lol:
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Barrel receveiver switch
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 02:28:58 PM »
I've encountered a situation where barrel A locks up on gun B and seems tight, but barrel B will not lock up on gun A (too tight). If barrel B is too tight on gun A, that implies that barrel A is a bit loose on gun B.
If you can put the 357 barrel on the 223 receiver as easily as the 223 barrel fits the 357 receiver, then the two guns *should* be a match within normal tolerances.
(but it's still your fault if it blows up in your face)
Mitch.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Barrel receveiver switch
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 06:41:58 PM »
rmtaylor
I'd check the clearance of both barrels on their ORIGINAL receivers.  If you have feeler guages that go from .0005 -.002 (don't know how small they go), I'd check the gap on each swap.  That is what a smith will do.

Check for solid lock-up that will not break open when you put it over your knee and try to break it open.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
Barrel receveiver switch
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 01:21:34 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys and don't worry Mitch I won't blame you:)

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"