Author Topic: fast bullet effect  (Read 619 times)

Offline missed_shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
fast bullet effect
« on: February 20, 2004, 05:27:16 AM »
I have a 300 weatherby mag that shoots 180 gr hornady sp to perfection. I I was was wondering what would happen if i shot a deer with this bullet at 3000 fps. at less than 100 yds ?? :eek:
DONUTS - IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO ??- HOMER SIMPSON

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
fast bullet effect
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 06:43:52 AM »
Assuming proper bullet placement I'd say the result will be one dead deer. The Hornady bullet is an excellent one but isn't a premium. Personally I don't think any standard cup jacketed bullet is appropriate in the large magnums like yours. I'd use Nosler PTs or some other such premium were I using it and anticipating the potential for close shots.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline missed_shot

• Avid Poster
fast bullet effect
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 07:18:05 AM »
Whitebeard --Would I get alot of bloodshot meat using 180 gr. hornady sp ?  I also have some of the new triple shock hornady bullets. Do you think they would work better ? I want bullet expansion and not a .30 hole in the deer. thanks
DONUTS - IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO ??- HOMER SIMPSON

Offline eroyd

• Contributor
fast bullet effect
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 01:57:19 PM »
I shot the less expensive weatherby ammo with the 180 hornady bullets. At game including moose the bullet made quite a mess within 100 yards.  Beyond 100 they worked great. I think the Nosler 200 partition is the best bullet for that cartridge. I also like the 165 gr. Barnes XBT.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
fast bullet effect
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 09:23:11 PM »
If you place your shot correctly there is no edible meat to be blood shot. Put it thru the ribs into the heart/lungs and what meat is there to lose? Hit a shoulder and you'll wipe it out. If you make stew meat from the neck you'd not want to hit there either or it will be burger when you arrive.  :)

But place that bullet wrong and you'll get lots of damaged meat and might even lose the game. To me the big magnums are not the place for cheap bullets. Only the best premium bullets should be used.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline supermag 445

fast bullet effect
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 07:59:16 AM »
with that bullet rifle combo you would not need to field dress your deer as the 300 weatherby would take care of it.

but I agree with the others use premiums for the large magnums.

Brian
Dan Wesson Rules!!