Author Topic: Want to see something really scarry!!! KABOOM!  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Deadeye47

• Trade Count: (0)
Want to see something really scarry!!! KABOOM!
« on: June 10, 2004, 08:07:57 AM »
Please be careful folks http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=249073&page=1 watch what your doing.... :shock: Talk about putting a flinch back into your trigger pull!!!  Edited to add this link courtesy of Mitch!!  http://smallestminority.blogspot.com/2004_06_01_smallestminority_archive.html#108690149864412735
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
Want to see something really scarry!!! KABO
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 11:06:03 AM »
Deadeye,

What am I looking for or maybe I did not do something right.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 11:14:28 AM »
ditto, it just took me to the forum page, not a particular post with pics.  :cry:   I wanna see pics!  

Was it a pistol powder in rifle cartidge blowup or something obstructing the barrel blowup?  If I saw the pic I could probably guess though.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 12:55:41 PM »
Well..I don't know guys...I tried the link and it worked when I put it up....If your on dial up...it will take a while for the pictures to load up...believe me I know...I'm on dial up myself. Give it some time...unfortunately alot of time..... it will come up. I just tried it again....there are a bunch of pictures...It blew that 45-70 Marlin rifle all to HeXX!! The guy ended up in the hospital but is recuperating ok...he was lucky...especially after seeing the rifle. He was using handloads and it's alledged that he might have had a squib that lodged the barrel and fired off another round....KA_BLOOEY!!!!  What a mess!!
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline josebd

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 12:58:31 PM »
im on dsl and all i got was the forum

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 01:01:37 PM »
Well sorry guys...it may be because it's on a member forum...I'm a paying member so that may be the problem...although I've sent my son some links and he could view them :oops:  I'll look into it..

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 01:01:47 PM »
This is what they were talking about:
http://smallestminority.blogspot.com/2004_06_01_smallestminority_archive.html#108690149864412735

Link to the discussion at ar15.com, but I don't know if it will expire like the one posted earlier:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=249184

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 01:16:31 PM »
Just PM'd the author asking him to post them on the general forum so I could link it..well see...Thanks Mitch!! Yes that's the one!! Appreciate the help! :D

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 03:00:30 PM »
Powder charge.

Almost certainly a rifle sized charge of pistol powder.

Bore obstructions produce a bulge at the point of obstruction and little damage forward of that. That barrel split from chamber forward. It was a mighty overload to wreck the barrel and receiver ring like that. Most overloads would have expanded the case head and the venting gases woulda wrecked the receiver behind the ring.

That's my take.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 03:11:08 PM »
I'm kinda in agreement with ya lodj but on the original link there were lots of pic's. One was a close up of the barrel and there is a darkened area that looks suspiciously like something stopped there. Who knows though....the guy is just lucky to be alive after that!  If he ever shoots again I'll wager the first shot he closes his eyes and jerks the trigger... :roll:  any takers???

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 04:22:46 PM »
Gee :shock:  I wonder if he voided the warranty??? :wink:
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 06:26:09 PM »
Quote from: handirifle
Gee :shock:  I wonder if he voided the warranty??? :wink:
 Dooohhhh!  :-D  And ya know the sad part is...he'll prolly sue... :roll:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline JPH45

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 07:08:21 PM »
I'm no expert on this subject, and am as likely as another to blowup my own gun someday, if not tommorow. Ken Waters leans heavily toward the idea that the use of pistol powders in rifle cases invites blowups, his reasoning is that it is so easy to double charge a case, an advantage to using very slow powders for reduced velocity loads, it is difficult to double charge a case that is already full.

The answer, if there is one to this, is simple, double check EVERYTHING that you do when reloading before going to the next step. It is far easier to dump powder from a case that has not had a bullet seated in it..... Another possible but often overlooked way of bursting a gun, particularly revolvers, is seating a heavy bullet on a charge for a light bullet. Take for example seating a .44 300 grainer on a charge meant for a 200 grainer......

In a recent issue of Guns magizine, an article described the loading a batch of pistol ammo using a rifle powder. At least the right direction to make this mistake....the author attributes his fault to having two powders on the bench at the same time (one of those rule #1's don't ever do this things) and the fact that the two powders, Hodgdon powders, wore similar looking labels. Always look twice and read aloud, don't glance and think is the proper conclusion to draw here.

There are two kinds of reloaders, those who have botched a batch of loads in some way, and those that are going to. Most of the time Lady Luck smiles on us and relieves us of paying the full price of our mistakes. The surefire way to experience a burst chamber is to think yourself above making mistakes.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 12:53:39 AM »
What I do to prevent uncharged or double charged cases:

All uncharged cases are upside down. This lets you see at a glance if it's been decapped/sized or reprimed yet. When you're ready to charge a case, you pick up an upside down case w/new primer showing, charge it and put it back in the block neck up.

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 03:23:11 AM »
I have a similar methodical routine. I set up the loading block as you do upside down. I turn over 5 cases and only charge 5 in a line at a time. after charging and visually checking for powder in the case I set a bullet on the case and then seat the  5 the line....  5 at a time always... :-)  Kinda anal but it works for me....

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 03:47:33 AM »
Hmmm , It could be a problem. A gun designed by the Democrats!

no x now!