Author Topic: Who has a 454 Ruger?  (Read 615 times)

Offline vhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Who has a 454 Ruger?
« on: June 12, 2004, 11:22:18 AM »
I am thinking about buying a 454 super red hawk with 7 1/2" barrel but I know nothing about handguns. I know all about the 454 casull and how much it kicks because I shot one before and also want to shoot 45 LC loads in it. The pistol is used for $568.00. What do I need to check on the hand gun of this caliber? How does it shoot? and anything else you care to add..!! Thanks!! :D

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Who has a 454 Ruger?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 12:51:27 PM »
Quote from: vhunter
I am thinking about buying a 454 super red hawk with 7 1/2" barrel but I know nothing about handguns. I know all about the 454 casull and how much it kicks because I shot one before and also want to shoot 45 LC loads in it. The pistol is used for $568.00. What do I need to check on the hand gun of this caliber? How does it shoot? and anything else you care to add..!! Thanks!! :D

If at all possible see if you can shoot it with full power 454 Casull loads to see if there is any extraction problems. (cases sticking in the cylinder). Also see if you can have a qualified gunsmith look it over if possible if you are not familiar with the  Ruger Super Redhawk. Also see if you might get him to come down a little on the price to the $500.00 range, if it is in perfect condition. Make sure the scope rings are included also.  Most of the time the 454 Casulls are not shot that much, "Recoil" That is why most people sell them. Hope this helps.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Catfish

Who has a 454 Ruger?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 12:54:33 AM »
I personally would not pay that much for a used one. I picked one up at a gun show in the plastic box with scope rings that look like it had neve been more than test fired for $ 400. It is definately not what I would recomand to someone just getting started shooting handguns. As far as the gun goes, what you see is what you get. They hold up well to heavy use and seem to shoot accurately enough if you can hold them. Ammo is pretty expencive for them if you don`t reload, which is one reason I would not recomand it to someone just getting started in handguns.

Offline bowfishn

Who has a 454 Ruger?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 03:42:46 AM »
Seems abit high in price. I bought mine new with tax and shipping for only $525.00 at the first of the year. I know they have had a price increase but $568.00 used, I would shop around i'm sure you could find a new one for that price through the right dealer.
Mine is a 9.5" barrel and it isn't that bad to shoot, my 18year old daughter even thought it wasn't bad with full house loads.

Offline 475/480

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 09:57:04 AM »
I have 1 in the classifieds for 470.00 + shipping it comes with case,scope rings and all paper work.
  Thanks Sean

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Who has a 454 Ruger?
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 11:00:22 AM »
none of my business but$500+ is not a great deal and it's the wrong gun to learn on. I love mine but starting out with it would have been like learning to drive in a John Force funny car.

Offline oso45-70

handgun general discussion
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 05:19:32 PM »
Vhunter
I'm going to echo what has been said in the above posts, I think the price is a little high,
Second,,, Thats a lot of hand gun if you are not already a fair hand at pistol shooting. A good one to give you a bad case of the flincheys. If on the other hand you are a pistol shooter go for it, But i still think its a little high.....Good luck to you Sir...............Joe............................................
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain