Author Topic: smoothbore slug gun question  (Read 880 times)

Offline fortress49

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
smoothbore slug gun question
« on: February 19, 2004, 04:26:09 AM »
Well, we are getting some tax return money back and my wife and I decided to "blow it" and not do anything responsible with it!!! :lol: So, I am going to send off my rifle to get some new barrels and some other options as well.  Here are my thoughts:  Metal trigger gaurd and forearm spacer, trigger job (free!!!), .223 barrel, and 45/70 barrel.  I have a .270 barrel.  With those barrels, it should cover just about any type of hunting I wish to do with the exception of REALLY big stuff in Africa.  But hey, if I ever can afford a hunting trip to Africa, I'll be able to afford an appropriate gun too! :)

Also, I already have an O/U shotgun so I don't really "Need" any shotgun barrels.  But, I would like to get a smoothbore slug thrower/big spray buck-shot thrower.  What would you suggest?  P/N 150 is a modified cylinder 22" barrel.  Would that make a good slug thrower?  Or, would it be better as has been discussed on another post to get a longer barrel, say 28", and cut off the choke to get it down to cylinder bore?

Let me know your thoughts and ideas please.

Thanks,

Matt

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 01:56:56 PM »
I have another idea for you. Gte one of the 12ga barrels that ar tapped for chok tubes and just get a cyl choke tube. I have a Topper Deluxe with a cyl choke tube in it that works great except for that I cant seem to aim it right. I need to do a little more shooting with it though
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 02:10:42 PM »
there was a guy on the old nef talk that took the a 20ga nef and cut the choke off.then he drilled and tapped it for a scope base,then installed a scope.the gun would shoot 6 inch groups at 100yds with remington foster slugs.they run $1.99 a box here in Michigan.not to bad for a smoothbore

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Options...
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 03:50:46 AM »
Quote from: Markus
I have another idea for you. Gte one of the 12ga barrels that ar tapped for chok tubes and just get a cyl choke tube. I have a Topper Deluxe with a cyl choke tube in it that works great except for that I cant seem to aim it right. I need to do a little more shooting with it though

You know...this is a great idea......you can always pick up one of the long(6") extended rifled choke tubes too,and give the new sabot slug a try.I'm not sure just how accurate they would be...but I bet they would do pretty good with the.Also I had great luck with the Litefield Hybrid slugs out of a 870 with a extended rifled choke tube.Groups would run around 2 1/2"-3" at 100 yards with them.While that's not as good as a fully rifled barrel I does give you another option to use if you want.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline fortress49

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 04:57:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys!  I was just at a local gun store yesterday and saw that they had a H&R 158 (?) for sale.  It had a cylinder barrel with open sights on it (they lookaed factory installed).  The sales tag labelled it as a "slug gun".  It was labelled with the words "Buck" on the side (or something like that) right beside H&R 158.  It was selling for $119.  Is this a good price?  It seems to be a good fit for what I am looking for, plus it has the added benefit of open iron sights.  What do you think?

Matt

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 05:35:09 AM »
Fortesss49, I think Markus was correct in advising you to get a 24" 12 Gauge 3.5 in chambered barrel with screw in chokes (H&R accessory barrel #T98-TK2 $59.00), the xtrafull turkey choke for 00 or my favorite 000 buck in 2 3/4" will kill most anything (you could use a full choke for long range buckshot work if you prefered it or a cylinder bore to really spread it out) and not kill you with recoil. Use a cylinder bore choke tube (any wincoke or similar tube will work, you may even have some now) for slugs, I also would suggest 2 3/4" slugs, they will put down all except possibly grizzlies without killing your shoulder too much. Also the bead sight with practice is much more accurate with slugs for deer than you would imagine.  That being said the cost of the barrel with one xtrafull turkey tube is $59.00 plus shipping and time, of course if your sending the gun in anyway you are already paying for shipping and it will not take any longer.  The only other option I see, and I like it, is to go to the seller of the used gun you located and see if he will take less, or at least throw in some acessories. For $75-$100 for the gun alone, out the door, or $119 (his price) for the gun, a case, some slugs and buckshot, perhaps reloading supplies or anything else you might need, I think it would go home with me!!! What the heck, you could always get another barrel for $59!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 02:05:30 PM »
F49<------- that 158 slug gun if in good shape is worth that anyday. H&R stopped making the smoothbore slug guns :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  i know someone who has  20ga smoothbore tracker, and let me tell you it looks like new, and there is a standing offer of $150 anytime he decides to sell. it hold will about a 4 inch group at 75 yrds, not bad for a smoothbore, and it does not kick much. i would love to have it in my gun closet.  as far as the other things people have said, i think a rifled tube would be better then a smoothbore for sabots, but it you want sabot just get a tracker2 new for $124.95 and it will work better then just a rifled tube. or add a barrel for only like $58 :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  my son has a 20ga tracker2, now this one has a williams peep added, and that crapy rear sight taken off. (was like that when i bought it) and the peep is real nice. and the recoil is not bad. my son, and even my wife can shoot it. but a nice old smoothbore can do alot more things. now as far as a smoothbore goes, if you want a slug gun with a bead, go buy a $78.95 pardner at walmart, go spend the $25-$35 depending on what local gunsmiths charge. and have the barrel cut down to remove the choke, and have the bead put back on.  by the way, is that 158 a 12ga, or a 20ga???????? if its a 20, and you dont want it, please send me a PM with a phone number for the shop that has it. as i would buy it for that price. 8)  8)  8)
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline fortress49

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 05:06:18 AM »
Hi Varmint Controller,

The gun is a 12 ga., not a 20.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 07:11:05 AM »
Smoothbore slug barrels are invariaby "improved cylinder".
 I have the Tracker 12 ga. deer slug special w/ sights..
   A word of advice; If you buy a new barrel or gun, unless you are a "glutton for punishment", get a 20ga.
   Today's 20ga slugs are perfectly adequate for deer, and the 12 ga, with NEFs light weight...kicks like a mule..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)