Author Topic: Nylon holsters  (Read 703 times)

Offline Brookielover

• Trade Count: (0)
Nylon holsters
« on: May 24, 2004, 06:16:26 PM »
How well do nylon holsters work? What are the disadvantages or advantages? Are they good for the gun? I was thinking about getting a uncle mikes for my single six, my leather is just too bulky. Thanks

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
Nylon holsters
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 06:56:40 PM »
Brookielover,
I use a few nylon holsters.  I don't use them for CC, but I like them for a general use field holster.  They are not as classy as a nice leather holster, but their not nearly as expensive.  They are easy to keep clean...I just wash them with soapy water, rinse them and hang em up to dry.  Keeping the dirt and grit out prevents any noticeable holster wear.
I don't carry in a shoulder holster anymore, but if I did, I would probably use nylon.  A leather SH can get pretty rank with continuous use...even if you take a bath every day you holster doesn't.  For that application nylon is easier to keep clean.
Best,
TnNuc

Offline williamlayton

Nylon holsters
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 12:50:38 AM »
The main concern is with retention, putting up/reholstering the weapon. The ones I have seen are not reinforced at the top to keep the holster open.
Other than this concern this type has several good points.
Well, there is just something bout leather that plastics and nylon can't overcome.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Questor

Nylon holsters
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 02:31:28 AM »
I use the Uncle Mikes for S&W revolvers. It's OK. Not great, but I don't use it often, so the low cost makes it attractive.  When I'm done with it, I just put it away.  If I used it a lot, I'd want one that's better fitted to the gun.
Safety first

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: Nylon holsters
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 03:51:20 AM »
Quote from: Brookielover
How well do nylon holsters work? What are the disadvantages or advantages? Are they good for the gun? I was thinking about getting a uncle mikes for my single six, my leather is just too bulky. Thanks

I think a lot depends on what you carry & how you carry. What works for one may be an anathema to another. I carry three ways; depending on how I'm dressed, with two different revolvers. When it's warm I carry my S&W Airweight® Mdl 37 in a Desantis® 3 Slot Leather No 1 with a Thumb Break behind my right hip. When it's hot I use a Galco® Scout IWB or an Uncle Mike's® Pocket Holster. If the weather/season is cooler I pack my Taurus® Mdl 617 in a Uncle Mikes® Super Side. Hope this helps.

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
It depends
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 05:50:20 AM »
I have a number of handguns.  More importantly I live in Washington State and don't carry concealed.  I do carry my firearms when I go out in the woods, hiking, hunting, fishing, etc.  

Over here it rains a lot.  For the first revolver I purchased (a nice Taurus 357 Mag) I have a custom made full flap leather holster that protects it completly from rain, dirt, branches, etc.   I treated the leather with lots and lots of oil and some wax I use to use to seal ski-boots (decades ago, when they were made out of leather).

For my Ruger Blackhawks, I have some Hunter oiled leather holsters and some nylon holsters.  I also have a surplus military "shiny something" coated leather holster and nylon holster for a couple of Norinco Tokarev 9mm's.

While I like the aethetics of leather, after a full day in the Washington rain and woods, the nylon is sure a lot nicer to clean up.  After enough water, the leather just gets soaked and needs to be dried out carefully so it won't mildew and re-oiled.  As a result, most of my recent holster purchases have been nylon.

The only thing bad, I can say about the nylon holsters is that none I have seen have full flaps that provide extra protection (but then not all of my leather holsters do either).

Therefore, I suppose the leather versus nylon decision may be a function of what the weather is like when you use your holster and what you do when you wear a holster.  Good luck

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
Nylon holsters
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 02:16:14 PM »
Being very traditional in most ways it pains me to say that the nylon really has more advantages than leather for me.  I have both.  I only use for carry when out in the woods.  The nylon is cheaper, looks the same no matter how many trees you brush up against and serves its purpose.  And how can you beat a holster for under $20 (Unckle Mikes Belt Holster) compared to at least double that.

Now that I said that I am going to look at my leather holsters and apologize for betraying them, their is just something about leather.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Nylon holsters
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 02:29:27 PM »
Differences in quality is the same with both leather and nylon.  Depending up the manufacturer and the different lines offered by the manufacturer you will find wide varriations in design, functionality and quality.  

I have a barrel of both leather and nylon holsters and there are huge differences in quality.  High end offerings by major brands are available, although you may not find them discounted or listed in common retailers.

One I particularly like for rough carry is a Galco flap model for S&W K frame 4".  I have the same design from Lawrence in leather and there is no difference in bulk.  Within the Uncle Mikes brand there are different lines with increasing levels of quality.  You get what you pay for is very true here.

Offline Old Griz

Nylon holsters
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 05:58:16 PM »
:cb2: I know you get what you pay for, but sometimes I look at leather holsters and feel like I'm putting someone's kid through college. However, I do wind up getting leather holsters for most of my guns. I have a few however that are awfully hard to find leather for. I have a 3" and a 4" Ruger SP101, for example, and most people only make holsters for the 2" model.

I do suggest that if you are planning to buy a shoulder rig to get a nylon Uncle Mikes holster first. That way you can wear a sholder holster for a while and see if it is really right for you before you shell out the big bucks for a Bianchi or Galco. Do you have to wear the jacket all day in your line of work? For me it's more trouble hiding the holster than it is hiding the gun.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Nylon holsters
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2004, 09:39:24 AM »
For concealment, I love leather.  For full-time open carry, I love nylon.  Leather is expensive, looks great, and doesn't suffer water and sweaty old bodies very well.   With a nylon holster, if it gets dirty, I throw it in the laundry, and it comes back looking brand new!

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline J.Solo

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Nylon holsters
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2004, 04:04:04 PM »
Hay all you guys with all those holsters hanging around.

I'm looking for three leather Cross Draw Holsters for the following guns:

3" S&W "L" Frame Model 696
4" S&W "L" Frame Model 686
2" Colt Detective Special Model DS-II Stainless with full underlug

Then do not have to be new but must be serviceable.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks - J.Solo