Author Topic: Got my Lyman .54 pistol  (Read 660 times)

Offline Good time Charlie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Got my Lyman .54 pistol
« on: June 03, 2004, 02:29:42 PM »
UPS dropped it off this afrernoon. Sam Fadala,s book says That with 40 grains of 3f goex, it has a muzzle velocity of 949 fps, and 396 ft. pounds energy a25 yds. With 50 grains it goes up to1044 ft pes second velocity and 465 ft/lbs energy at 25 yds. I was using t 7 3f and with those charges it kicks like a mule! With 50 grains it had my finger swelling. It was shooting pretty good at 25 yds for the first outing. I think it will do even better with a little work.
                                            Charlie

Offline alpini

• Avid Poster
Got my Lyman .54 pistol
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 08:33:25 AM »
Congrats on your new pistol! I think Triple 7 has higher pressure than regular black powder. There's some concern on that. How's it grouping? I might buy one myself.

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
Got my Lyman .54 pistol
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 01:25:56 PM »
Remember, with the chunk of lead that large bores throw, they are pretty effective even without great velocity.

• Avid Poster
.54 lyman pistol
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 04:38:23 AM »
Alpini I was shooting late in the afternoon ,it was cloudy and my eyes are not what they used to be. All that said at 25 yds. I put most of the shots in the black. The next chance I get to shoot, I am going to reduce the powder charge, so I can shoot longer with out pain! I think the gun will be on target at 25 yd. I don't think it will be good for much longer range.
                                       Charlie

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
Got my Lyman .54 pistol
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 05:06:04 PM »
The Lymans are great pistols. Mine is a 50 but heres how it does with several loads:

The 20 grains 777 is equivalent to 30 pyrodex P, at least from these lots. It's pretty well impossible to extrapolate load relationships from one gun or load to another as pressure curves are different.  Pyrodex and fffg frequently swap places as to which is faster and/or more consistent. They are fairly close though

The other day, I tried Goex FFG and Pyrodex RS. at 40 grains and 40 g/vol. The black with .490 ball did 681 while the Pyrodex RS (can several years old) did 645.  Quite a difference.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

• Avid Poster
lYMAN .54 pISTOL
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 08:26:35 AM »
I got the .54 out again today. Some had asked about accuracy. It is very good. I was firing three round groups and they were in the black. I was shooting 30 grains of triple f 3f powder With a 300 grain lee bullet. How ever when I would add an over powder wad, the accuracry went south badly. When I would remove the over powder wad she would shoot great again. I don't under stand why but that is what happend. It now has me wondering about the use of over powder wads on my long guns. Has anyone else had such happen to them?
                                                             Charlie