Author Topic: What do YOU do with snakes?  (Read 905 times)

Offline Rogmatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What do YOU do with snakes?
« on: May 21, 2004, 01:08:03 PM »
Rogmatt jr. loves to chase and pick up snakes. In the yard at times and in the field. I give rules to follow: If it is non-poisonous, we will release it somewhere it won't be bothered and can have a good habitat. He likes to find Black snakes, Pine snakes, Rat snakes, and king snakes. All have been released. If he finds a poisonous snake, especially near human dwellings, it most likely will meet a different fate. Rattlers can be eaten so nothing is wasted. However last year he did pick up a Cottonmouth and then released it into the creek again. Mom threatened me with divorce for allowing that to happen.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 07:23:26 AM »
Catch and release snakin'. That's a great concept. Most people around here are in either run or kill mode with all snakes. I always toss em out in the feild when I catch'em up near peoples houses. It's good that you teach your boy about snakes. Most of the guys I work with don't know a copperhead from a hognose.Enjoy and be careful.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 11:21:04 AM »
I've never seen anything but a little garter snake here in NY so I guess I would avoid them if I ever saw a big snake in the wild.  I have no idea how to handle them safely so I wouldn't even attempt it.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 02:12:49 PM »
up north here all the snakes go free, maybe with a bit of encouragement.

when bird hunting down south or in the west they meet 11/16th's of an ounce of #8's from the .410 handi, especially when they have a rattle attached. i've been hit many many times in the boots, and the dogs have taken a few hits too, so we take no chances at all. see a snake - BANG !!!

plus they taste good !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 05:53:21 PM »
Here in the part of Alabama I live the harmful snakes are very easy to reconize;being that they are all pit viper.Easy to tell by the shape of the head.Of course this doesn't count the water snakes.But it is great you release the non-harmful snake.My favorite is the King snake;being that he cannot be bitten and kill by a poison snake.He take care of them :lol: ...............Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 01:11:09 AM »
snakes............. i dont care for snakes at ALL!!!!!!!!!!! we dont really have any nasty poison ones up here, but we do have some good sized watersnakes. and the last one thar surprised me got a load of 00Buck. i dont like 4 foot long snakes hissing at me, and trying to bite. if he had not tried to bite me through my boot i would have left him alone. but i take my boys down there all the time, and i dont want anything like that around. so the good old NEF 12ga took care of him. so other then the little garden snakes we have around the house, and lawn, and the old watersnakes, we really dont have any snakes up this way. i did spend some time in texas a while back, and let me tell you the first rattle snake i saw i was some glad i had those big old boots on :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  but for all you snake lover out there, more power to you, just dont bring them to my house PLEASE!!!!!!!!
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 05:07:35 AM »
Spending my childhood in SW Arizona and my grandparents ranch in SW New Mexico I lost to many dogs to rattlers.  The last was my uncles border collie about 4 years ago jumped out of the back of the truck to chase cows and 2 days later no more fuzz :cry: hate lose a good cow dog and family pet .  The only good rattler is a dead one, non poisons ones are fine but the rattlers  :blaster:
I must be crazy.

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 06:55:01 PM »
I live in rattlesnake central.So far we haven't lost any animals to a snake bite. but had a close call last season.sons dog was bitten but survived.left a ten inch scar down her left side. this year already have four skins cured. two over six feet.All of these were taken around the house and barn. they seem to be worse this year.We also have garters,racers and king snakes.I take them out in the field and send them on there way.Rattlers are territorial. if you haul them away they come right back.a shovel is my weapon of choice. I notice several posters eat them. How do you cook them? There used to be a cafe that served rattlesnake but i've never tryed it.