Author Topic: Most versital  (Read 945 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Most versital
« on: June 25, 2004, 12:21:39 AM »
For the topic, the caliber you think has the widest range of use.
We are talking mostly about reloading here, but certainly caliber is the topic. What caliber can be reloaded for the most uses--Games,Self protection, Game (hunting, field carry), soft, hard, wildcat, ect.
Don't forget capacity, range and  accuracy.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jhm

Most versital
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 04:25:47 AM »
38/357 mag. :D    JIM

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
Most versital
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 04:32:19 AM »
The 357 is my choice hands down. You can easily load it to be used on everything from squirrels to deer, and it's plenty of power for self defence.

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: Most versital
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 04:38:51 AM »
Quote from: williamlayton
For the topic, the caliber you think has the widest range of use.
We are talking mostly about reloading here, but certainly caliber is the topic. What caliber can be reloaded for the most uses--Games,Self protection, Game (hunting, field carry), soft, hard, wildcat, ect.
Don't forget capacity, range and  accuracy.
Blessings

The most VERSATILE Caliber would have to be 357 Mag, handsdown. It's like the 30/06 Springfield is to the Rifle.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Most versital
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 01:29:24 PM »
if the widest range of uses is the standard we are measuring by, i would have to say the 44 magnum.  it can be loaded to extremely mild levels, or almost 454 levels.   the range of loads is about endless.  whatever i could want to do; from paper punching, to shot shells,  to killing  mean and nasty stuff, my vote goes to the 44.

Offline Castaway

Most versital
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 01:54:45 PM »
My vote goes to the vaunted 45 Colt as far as caliber goes.  It did and still does a remarkable job of taming anything that walks, crawls, creeps or flies in North America.  From the original loading in the Peace Maker to the "magnum" level loads in a Black Hawk, the 45 Colt has done it all. Bigger bullet and less pressure than the 44 Mag for loads that approach the same velocity, especially in bullets heavier than 260 grains.  But.... if the truth be known and I was an honest man, I'd admit there really isn't a whit of difference between the two.  If i couldn't put it down with a 44 Mag, I'd be VERY hesitant of trying the same shot with a hot loaded 45 Colt.  Call me nostalgic, but I like the old stuff best.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Most versital
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 04:04:05 PM »
i would agree that if the gun is of a strong make (ruger, f.a., e.t.c.); then it is a veritable tie between the 44 and 45.

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
Most versital
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 08:09:21 PM »
I think the .357 is one of the best "do-all" calibers around.  But, the 44 mag will edge it out in effective range.

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
Most versital
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 09:14:28 PM »
Mark down another vote for the 45 Colt. Properly loaded, it will accomplish most any task I would ever ask of a handgun cartridge. It has been around for a very long time for good reason. :wink:

Offline williamlayton

Most versital
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2004, 03:06:24 AM »
Well lets see here---
Some of tha calibers here are not to be used in automatics--therefore that is a minus in the capacity equation.
Some of the calibers are not usable in games--that is a minus in the games equation.
Some of the calibers are not available in high capacity( more than 8/ if then, as in reliable) therefore a minus in this area.
The 357-not available in a semi-auto.
The 357-limited in games.
44/454/44mag-limited in all but game(field/hunting).
45 is limited in game/hunting. has some limitations in games and in capacity.
What about the 10mm, 9x23, 38 super/supercomp, 357SIG ?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Carwi

• http://home.carolina.rr.com/carwi
Most versital
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2004, 06:36:29 AM »
I have to say the .357 Rem. Magnum.  I find I shoot it a lot more than my other handguns now.  I haven't taken a lot of game with it but I will surely give it a try next hunting season, although the feral cat situation I had is a lot better now  :lol:.  It is more than adequate for me in the thick areas I hunt.  Like Jerry Lester said...anything from Squirrels to Deer.  By the way Jerry when are we going ground hog hunting!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Flinching Due to Heavy Recoil, is only a state of Mind!! :eek:

Offline jhm

Most versital
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2004, 01:44:30 PM »
Williamlayton :  The 357 is in a semi auto I will let you do the research to locate it, therefore add a + on the 357 again. :-D  :D    JIM

Offline jhm

Most versital
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2004, 01:47:45 PM »
And I wasnt refering to the 357 sig. :D    JIM

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Caliber? 45?
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2004, 02:45:04 PM »
I will have to tack a whack at the 45 Colt in this contest.  Nothing against the cartridge itself given handloads, but there are not very many revolvers out there that will really do it justice.  A big part of the probelm is that back in the days of black powder the chamber was oversized to allow room for fouling.  Today we are using smokeless powder but we are still stuck with the old BP chambers in any 45 Colt revolver I know of.  This is detrimental to accuracy and case life.  Yes, a 44 mag requires more pressure to accomplish the same job, but so what, so long as it is within limits?  (Before you say I am biased, I own more than one 45 Colt revolver and do play with hot loads,)  As a practical matter, which an all purpose cartridge must be, I'd say the 357 or 44 mag.

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
Most versital
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2004, 05:45:22 PM »
williamlayton,
Why don't you just pick one and tell us about it. :grin:
TnNuc

Offline Old Griz

Most versital
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2004, 06:20:56 PM »
:cb2: I'd say the .45 Colt and the .44 mag are about dead even, but I'd give the nod to the .44 due to bullet selection, and for that matter, gun selection.

However, for the title of most versatile it would have to go to the .357. From wimpy .38 velocity loads for training first timers, to self defense, to police work, to hunting deer the .357 can do it.  From short snubbies to longguns and a whole passle of stuff in between. True, I'd rather use my beloved .44 on deer, but a .357 will get the job done.

Now I've been told--and if it ain't so please tell me--that a .357 out of a rifle has a longer range and flatter trajectory than a .44. True or false??!!?
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline williamlayton

Most versital
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2004, 01:59:37 AM »
Tenn.-
Wernt trying to steer the conversation-just trying to throw others into the mix, some different takes---sorry I offended.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline williamlayton

Most versital
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2004, 02:19:01 AM »
Well-
two errors--my bad.
There is one .357 auto that I could find but I have never seen one or at least this is the only one I am aware of.
Tenn.--I guess I ignored/overlooked the Smiley. I apologize. The other part still stands. The person asking the question should not enter into the coversation should he/she---OOPPPPPs.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dragon31

• Avid Poster
.357 auto
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2004, 04:59:11 AM »
Williamlayton:

I own a .357 Mag Stainless Coonan auto Loading pistol that for all practical purposes is the same as a 1911A1.   With no cylinder gap it pushes the .357 at least 100 to 150 feet faster that the round in a revolver.  I also understand that they made the Desert Eagle in .357 Mag.
The Coonan is flat easy to carry and packs a real punch.

Offline Old Griz

Most versital
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2004, 08:40:14 AM »
:cb2: The Desert Eagle also came in .44 mag.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline oso45-70

handgun general discussions
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2004, 10:04:37 AM »
Gent's
I think for an all around handgun the 44mag. & 44spl would be hard to beat, I know there are some that would disagree with this, But that would be my choice..........Joe.............................................................
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
Most versital
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2004, 04:57:43 PM »
williamlayton,
No offense taken or intended.  Thought you might want to expand the discussion with some details on your additional suggestions.  I'm not at all familiar with the 38 super/supercomp and don't have any experience with the 9X23.
Best,
TnNuc

Offline williamlayton

Most versital
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2004, 12:17:17 AM »
38 Super is an old, old round. Pushes a 38 to near .357. The super comp is a rimless.38 super and allows fer a few more rounds in a semi. The .38 super is popular with the gaming crowd as it can be loaded pretty soft an attain a couple of different classes.
This was the choice of Frank Hamer, as a side-arm, when he was looking for Bonnie and Clyde. He was not looking to capture those folks. He knew he was going to have to confront them in a car and he was looking for penetration, them OLD car bodies were pretty close to armor plate. The .38 super had a reputation for better penetration than the .45.
The 9X23 is a extremely hot and flat shooting round with a better range than most of the rounds discussed. It can be loaded to close to 2000fps, If'n ya want to be behind it when it goes off. It has the additional plus of more rounds available out of a single stack.
This is the pick of at least one special forces branch due too the range available out too better than 150 yards. Good penetration can be had with the right cartridge, and of course it can be loaded down to 9mm specs.
The Winchester brass is the choice for most reloaders because of the high pressures of the round. It is a caliber found by most makers nowdays.
The 10mm, well I will leave that tale to Mikey and Savage, but it is surely a real stopper for field carry, even in the event of meeting up with bear. Has the performance of most of the calibers discussed plus can be loaded pretty soft. As a gaming gun it is not accepted in most games.
additional rounds in a semi is a plus.
I am looking hard at both the 9X23 and 10 mm for a carry weapon. STI and STV both make a cool 6 inch slide.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline PaulS

Most versital
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2004, 03:16:00 PM »
for a "most versatile" handgun it would have to be a revolver - light loads won't work the action of an auto loader without mods. The largest case would be able to handle the widest range of loads so something in the range of 45-70 comes to mind and the only revolver that is made for these large cartriges is the BFR revolvers.
You could load it with shot for close range work with small birds and snakes. Light bullets with Unique for small game and plinking. Load it as hot as most carbines with heavy bullets for larger game and hunting.
I would not choose this particular revolver as the damage to myself with heavy loads is something I would never recover from so I will stick with the 357 Maximum and 357 Magnum Rugers that I own.

PaulS
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline williamlayton

Most versital
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2004, 03:49:20 PM »
A revolver is a good ans. for a lot of folks--the minus is the limitation of capacity.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD