Author Topic: North American Hunting Club  (Read 821 times)

Offline Rum River

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
North American Hunting Club
« on: June 08, 2004, 05:28:38 PM »
My 15 year old son received the sales pitch in today's mail. I usually throw mine in the trash, but he seems genuinely interested.

Anybody have any opinions good/bad about the NAHC?

Thanks,
Rum River

"It was a FRIENDLY fight".     "Hmph, I've never been in one a them."

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 06:19:11 PM »
i'd give it a tossup... i "reviewed" their products for a few years, and generally they were worth about the cost of a year's subscription.  i'd say their outfitter reviews are reasonable, but nothing outstanding.  their magazine, imho, sucks... way too much of the stuff i don't like (truck reviews, gun talk, product reviews, etc...) and not enough actual hunting talk...  if you join it won't be the worst thing you've ever done, that being said, i'm no longer a member.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 03:22:58 AM »
I enjoy being a membe of the NAHC.  The magazine is at least on par with other hunting mags out there, and they have a pretty good website with a good discussion forum.  

I've probably reviewed three of four items ranging from new estrus doe scent to a "Gun Buddy" rifle holder/lock.  From what I understand the product review system is kind of hit or miss as to wheather or not you'll get an item to review.

Probably the worst thing about the NAHC is the solicitations by mail.  They are constantly trying to sell you one thing or another by mail.  I usually just throw them away.  Not that they aren't items that wouldn't come in handy.  Most are high quality and useful, I just don't buy everything that comes down the mail chute.

Probably the best thing that has come of my life membership has been a swap hunt that I did with a guy (now a good friend) in Colorado.  I hunted elk on his ranch and he hunted whitetails out here with me (shot his first whitetail out here, a small 10 point).  

There are going to be negatives associated with any club you join (SEE: NRA), but I think the good outweighs the bad in the NAHC.

Get him an annual membership and try it out.  It's probably only about 12 or 13 dollars.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 11:46:21 AM »
I agree with everything Wlscott, says.  At 12 bucks it aint nothin to the pocket to check out.  The Magazine is, as was said, pretty on par with all the others.  You get the field test program and they have a gear giveaway every issue.  There are the trade a trips and Member discounts.  Again, like Wlscott said, your gonna get ads to buy stuff in the mail.  Im also a Life Member of the North American Fishing Club (the NAHCs sister organization,) so I was aware of these things going into the NAHC.  The stuff IS quailty, and you or your son will probably find yourself thinking of all the uses that could be made, and the prices even tend to be fair.  But you will see a share of the mailers.  Whats nice is you also get access to the clubs internet BB forum boards, so when he gets tired of surfing GBO (hardly likely  :grin: ) He can shoot over and post there (I believe they even have  dedicated state sections so he can talk to people from his own state.)
So is it worth it?  Yes, in my opinion.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 12:57:23 PM »
Big Time Rip Off in my opinion.

I'm a life member or else I'd sure not be a member. Back when I joined they made a lot of promises they haven't kept and the magazine has gone from a pretty good rag to junk. I think your money would be far better spent on something else.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline crazyjjk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 02:56:58 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Big Time Rip Off in my opinion.

I'm a life member or else I'd sure not be a member. Back when I joined they made a lot of promises they haven't kept and the magazine has gone from a pretty good rag to junk. I think your money would be far better spent on something else.

GB

I fully agree with Graybeard totally.

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 07:30:21 AM »
i was a member  for a year or 2 found some of thier articles very interesting. if i buy a magazine now it's usually Rifle or Fur-Fish-Game. FFG's articles are geared more towards my kinda of outdoors. like the december issue had articles about cast bullets,catfish thru the ice and cheap backpacking. applys more to my interests then cape buffalo in botswania. just my opinion, i could be wrong.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline oso45-70

hunting and shooting general discussions
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 06:23:57 AM »
Gentlemen,
I guess its not the worst thing i ever did, ( but ) I have been a little disappointed. My main gripe is the stuff they send you that you may not want is left up to you to send back. They don't do enough hunting storys
and if i hadent joined for life I wouldent have made this post. I think if the boy wants the mag. let him try it then make up his own mind. It seem to me all the rags have gone to the dogs..................Joe............................
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain