Author Topic: 12 ga slug without the kick  (Read 1080 times)

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
12 ga slug without the kick
« on: June 16, 2004, 02:33:32 PM »
I'm new :D ,  the lyman 12 ga. slug, made of wheelweights and a 1 oz. reg. shot wad with red dot  or unique powder, take the bite out of these.  I'm getting 4 in. groups out of scoped  20 in. smooth bores  (have 3).   A friend has 12 ga. moss with rifled bbl. at 5o yds.  The reloads outshoot the factory, with less kick and 1/4 cost.  I sell him the lead slugs.

Offline student

• Trade Count: (0)
Welcome!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 05:54:54 AM »
Glad to see you here.  I'm interested in reloading slugs, too.  I just got some of those Lymans from Ebay in 12 Ga and plan to try them soon.  

I'm having pretty good luck with the 20 Ga version, started with slugs from a fellow on Ebay, and now using my own mold.  If the 12 Ga are as good as the 20 ga I'll buy one of those molds too.  I have a Rem 870 in 12 ga and a Handi Ultra in 20 ga.  The Ultra is great.

Student

Offline jbtazgrabber

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 02:38:50 PM »
im old enough when we made 69 cal round balls and cut the top of factory shell doumped the shot out and stuck in the round balls in the wad   .          they shot about as good as factory slugs and was a lot cheaper i still have the mold but nothing iv tried shoots as good as the lyman slugs   i dont like the recoil of the rifled bbls.  i get good enough  groups with  smooth bbls and scopes

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 06:25:23 PM »
Do these have to be shot through an open choke or will they pass a mod?All of my guns have fixed chokes.

Offline jbtazgrabber

• A Real Regular
jb
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 02:25:37 PM »
The 12 sabots, i shoot out of modified and full chokes, with no problems.  I do not know about screw-in chokes.  I have not owned any of them to find out.  The way I check to make sure that they go through is to load a slug in a wad and push it down the barrel with a cleaning rod, you will feel resistance, but that is all.

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 11:02:25 PM »
Ill have to try these. thanks