Author Topic: new leupold variable 1 7 varies too much?  (Read 655 times)

Offline Lee

• Trade Count: (0)
new leupold variable 1 7 varies too much?
« on: June 27, 2004, 07:12:55 AM »
Last fall I sighted my new VX II  6 inches high.  While hunting I lost my footing going down a steep bank and plopped on my fanny,  jarred the rifle a little.   Checked later and found that I was hitting  dead on instead of 6 inches high.

After readjusting for 6 inches high and using the rifle a number of days I discovered it was back to zero again.

Question,  is this a bad scope or should I give it another try by working the elevation adjustment back and forth to see if the mechanical parts will seat and grip better?

My first Leupold scope,  allways heard they were great.

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: new leupold variable 1 7 varies too much?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 10:26:33 AM »
Quote from: Lee
Last fall I sighted my new VX II  6 inches high.  While hunting I lost my footing going down a steep bank and plopped on my fanny,  jarred the rifle a little.   Checked later and found that I was hitting  dead on instead of 6 inches high.

After readjusting for 6 inches high and using the rifle a number of days I discovered it was back to zero again.

Question,  is this a bad scope or should I give it another try by working the elevation adjustment back and forth to see if the mechanical parts will seat and grip better?

My first Leupold scope,  allways heard they were great.
.........They are great.....BUT...anything manmade can have problems and I would check the base screws to make  sure they are tight and one didn't break in the fall....and same with the rings...I had a ring of the "redfield" type crack the front "foot" and it looked perfect and with both rings on the gun the scope felt tight and it would shoot well and then throw a shot in random order.......I went thru testing two scopes and a couple different loads before I found the crack in the front ring foot by eliminating everything else over a couple of days......Leupold will check the scope for free and I would run the adjustments all the way both ways and then re zero the adjustments at the middle point and try that to see if the problem is in the ajustments in the scope.......I have had nearly 30 Leupold scopes along with almost every other brand....and there are some good/great scopes besides Leupold but it's hard to go wrong with the "gold rings" and winners equipment list in almost any shooting sport will show a large percentage of Leupold users.......good luck and good shooting!!

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 07:08:35 AM »
I know I am going to regret asking,  but what are you shooting and at what distance to necessitate a 6" high sight in? Just curious.
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline Lee

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 03:57:04 PM »
Thanks bigdaddy for your comments.

Steelhead,    I am shooting a BLR 308, and the reason for 6 inches high
is that it both puts you on target quicker and requires less hold over estimation for making long shots.  

When in thick woods  I like to aim at the bottom line of the body just behind the front shoulder,  this works real well with walking and running deer.    It gives  a definite spot to aim instead of trying to find the spot on the deer  where you want to put your bullet.

For longer distances,  at 400 yards  you can rest the cross hair on the deers back and you are not going to get a 21 inch drop or have to guess how much air over the deers back  makes 21  inches.

When I try to adjust the leupold elevation to get 6 inches the screw starts getting tight as you are reaching the limit of the  up elevations
adjustment travel.   Never had this trouble with weaver or simmons.

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 04:48:34 AM »
Yep, I knew I would be sorry. HAPPY HUNTING.

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 05:45:26 AM »
Quote from: Steelhead
Yep, I knew I would be sorry. HAPPY HUNTING.

:shock: I agree!  :?
JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline Lee

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 01:50:47 PM »
What a sorry bunch of -----

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 03:17:20 AM »
Lee,

I would keep that scope if I were you. It has shown its smarts, you try to set it up for 6" high and when you are asleep the scope moves itself back to a more realistic setting. Yes indeed, a VERY smart scope.

Looks like the Leupold Gods are looking out for your best interests.

Have a wonderful day.

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 05:33:40 AM »
I see nothing wrong with sighting in the way you are comfortable and confidenent shooting.  I have preached for many years that comfort and confidence have more to do with shooting sucess than particular equipment.  Yes, reliable equipment is important, and the Leupold line is very reliable (I own 4 myself)  but if you are doubting its ability to hold zero in the field, then that may very well affect your shooting mentally.

I would check the mounts thoroughly and possibly take advantage of the lifetime guarantee by sending it back and having them check it out.  The most it should cost you, if anything, would be shipping.  

The middle of summer would be my choice of time to send it in anyway.

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 05:48:26 AM »
Quote from: smoky
I see nothing wrong with sighting in the way you are comfortable and confidenent shooting.  I have preached for many years that comfort and confidence have more to do with shooting sucess than particular equipment.  Yes, reliable equipment is important, and the Leupold line is very reliable (I own 4 myself)  but if you are doubting its ability to hold zero in the field, then that may very well affect your shooting mentally.

I would check the mounts thoroughly and possibly take advantage of the lifetime guarantee by sending it back and having them check it out.  The most it should cost you, if anything, would be shipping.  

The middle of summer would be my choice of time to send it in anyway.

Smoky

Smoky,
He's off the end of the adjustment range. He needs to shim the rings if he wants to do it the way he's trying to. Or get some Burris Signiture rings with offset inserts. There's nothing wrong with the scope.
JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.