Author Topic: alighn the rings???  (Read 563 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
alighn the rings???
« on: June 22, 2004, 09:46:05 AM »
do i have to align my scope rings??? there "weaver" style loupold riflemen HIGH rings. if i don't will my scope be to 1 side more thn the other??
i would like any info :lol:
later :D buckslayer :wink:  :blaster:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
alighn the rings???
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 09:58:24 AM »
Most of the Leupold rings I have used over the years,have been cut very square and didn't need any additional working...if your scope doesn't fit right in the rings after mounting them on the base..you can try a different pair...you have quite a-bit of play when setting them on a Weaver base..and they shouldn't really need to be honed out..that's not to say you never will get a misaligned pair...but I guess I've been lucky.Most of the problems I've read about have been using steel bases and rings..not aluminum

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
alighn the rings???
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 11:12:03 AM »
The Millett rings I installed on my 357 Handi had screws on both sides of the ring.  It was possible to install the rings on the rail and not have them in linear alignment.  When you put your scope in them that way and tighten the rings down, something has to give.  It will either be the rings or the scope tube, the scope being the most likely since the rings are of a much thicker material than the scope tube.  They sell at Midway a scope alignment tool.  It's 2 pieces of molded plastic the size of a scope tube with one end pointy.  You install one in each of your mounted rings with the pointy ends facing each other.  Then you tighten your rings on the rail while keeping the points together.

On the other hand, if you have the rings with one fixed side and one screw to tighten it on the rail, they're self aligning and you don't need the alignment tool at all.   :grin:

good luck,
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
alighn the rings???
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 02:34:02 PM »
I could be wrong but I thought the Leupold rifleman rings were weaver style aluminum rings that are self aligning.  They should not have any thing to align as they tighten down from one side with a cross bolt.  Other rings like the millets or even the standard leupolds do need to be aligned but the rifleman series should just need to be tightened down.  Unless you are referring to lapping the rings which could be done with almost any type of rings.

Offline NMUltra

• Trade Count: (1)
Ring Alignment
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 06:23:14 PM »
Millet supplies directions with their angle lock rings to use a 1" tube or rod mounted in the rings to align the rings to the base at initial installation.

Leupold may or may not suggest the same procedure, I have never used their rings.

Given that the H&R base is a single piece of machined aluminum, things should be fairly square, but ...

I used a short piece of 1" dowel rod, clamped the rings to that, then mounted the rings to the base.  Seems like cheap insurance, rather than bending my scope tube.
Always dally thumb up