Author Topic: Climbing Stand  (Read 573 times)

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
Climbing Stand
« on: July 01, 2004, 05:57:09 AM »
I'm looking for a lightweight climbing tree stand for myself and my daughter. I would like to hear comments and suggestions concerning which brand and model. I'm leaning towards the Summit Viper X4, or the Summit Cobra X4. Thanks for the help.

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
Climbing Stand
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 03:42:24 AM »
I don't have any experience with the summit stands but a friend I hunt with swears by his.  I don't recall the models he has but he is very happy with them.  I use API stands most of the time I have a shootin star and a bowhunter model, they are light weight and comfortable.  They are very similar to the summit stands in design so I would assume the summits would be just as good.  I also have a tree lounge I bought last year, its the new light weight model.  It seems awkward and its a pain to set up but it is very comfortable.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Climbing Stand
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 02:03:46 PM »
I have a summit stand and love it
the one I have is a 2000 extream

It is great during the early season but once I put my cold weather gear on it gets somewhat tight. I would get the golith it is a little wider and should work better during the winter.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
Climbing Stand
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 03:08:09 PM »
rickyp,
Around here, if the temp drops down into the low 80's - it's winter. I was looking at the Goliath though, and it does look like there is a lot more room, and not too much more weight.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Climbing Stand
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 03:35:02 PM »
the Goliath is only 2 pounds more, and you bet more room.

The great thing about summit stands is, the platforms are almost all the same, once you get one then you can call summit and buy any top you want at a lot lower price then a full stand an and the 2 parts will still fit together nice.

My friend has a extream complete stand and a older cobra top for bow hunting.

I have the gun rest on mine but it is more a pain in the butt then it helps when you pack the stand in or out. It does work well for longer shots with my contender.

The summit comes with full body safety harnes that is one of the better ones on the market.

I got the side bags for mine. they are ok but are also a pain when back packing the stand. I use mine to hold my soda bottles candy and a lot of other little stuff that is nice ot have close.

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
Climbing Stand
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 04:53:42 PM »
well all i got to say is
when a climber is neaded if it dosent say summit on it its not worth what you get it for unless its free cause nothen is better than free99 lol
dave

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Climbing Stand
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 05:05:04 PM »
I have the Summit Goliath. I tried several different ones, API, Old man and some of the off brand names. But the Goliath is for me. I love all the room. :) I would not own any thing else.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA