Author Topic: water under the scope base???  (Read 521 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
water under the scope base???
« on: June 22, 2004, 09:43:10 AM »
if got water under the scope base[rain,snow ect.]would it sit there and rust or will it evaporate and be done??? thanks for any info!!!! :lol:
later :D buckslayer :wink:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline Wlscott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 11:14:29 AM »
Yes, and Yes.  It will evaporate eventually.  But, once the rust starts, it will continue to rust if left alone.  I like to put a healthy coat of Oxyoke Wonderlube under my scope mounts, and between my stock and reciever/barrel.  That stuff repels water like a ducks back and it doesn't seem to be as hard on wood.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Chickasaw Hunter

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 04:39:15 PM »
This could be the only actual time recommending WD-40 for use on a firearm might be warranted. Since the WD stands for water displacing or at least that's what I've always been told. I was also told it was developed for use in electronics to eliminate water from the works. Of course I was told this by both of my brothers who are tricity and tronics types and certainly not as reliable as gun types.  :-)
Always remember that when seconds count the Police are only minutes away!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 05:32:30 PM »
Quote from: Chickasaw Hunter
This could be the only actual time recommending WD-40 for use on a firearm might be warranted. Since the WD stands for water displacing or at least that's what I've always been told. I was also told it was developed for use in electronics to eliminate water from the works. Of course I was told this by both of my brothers who are tricity and tronics types and certainly not as reliable as gun types.  :-)

WD40 will displace water as in moving it but it doesn't mix with it very well. Rubbing alcohol which mixes with water readily, would be a better way to get rid of the water, then use a good gun oil to remove the alcohol and protect the firearm.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 04:20:07 AM »
I hate mixing oil and loctite in the same area so put a thin amount of blue loctite on the top of the barrel and a drop on each screw (none in the screw holes, might bottom out the screws).  After the loctite dries it seems holds everything together and I think keeps the water out.  But I don't know this for sure, I've never taken a mount back off after doing this.  Just another idea....

Later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun