Author Topic: Most accurate cap & ball revolver?  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Most accurate cap & ball revolver?
« on: June 22, 2004, 10:31:07 AM »
I'd like to purchase a cap & ball revolver in .44 caliber, but would like to get some input from others as to the most accurate model/ brand.

Anything from a Ruger Old Army to a Remington 1858 New Army or a Walker will suit my needs, as this will be used for hunting varmints inside 40 yards.

Your opinions and experience is appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 11:36:04 AM »
:D Bowhunter57. Your first two choices are considered by most shooters to be the most accurate. Ruger is a modern design, Remington replicas are very close to originals. I'd pass on the Walker for your stated purpose, there are many good reasons why only 1100 were originally made.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 12:29:07 PM »
Yes, go into Bass Pro Shop and pick up a Walker. What a ton of bricks!
A very heavy handgun.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 03:08:20 PM »
If you watch the folks who shoot a lot of target matches, you will note a plethora of Remington variants and for good reason.  I have owned Colt and Remington replicas and the latter are more consistently accurate for precise work such as hunting.

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 03:51:50 PM »
After you shoot the Ruger OA (with adjustable sights) you'll never look back.  Replicas are for fun and plinking.  ROA is for targets and game.  And don't forget to get the OxYoke wads to go under the balls.  Crisco is for baking, not shooting.

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Most Accurate?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 03:09:39 AM »
Boy, it's a toughie!  I have fired the Ruger and the Remmy copies, and I don't see the Ruger being heads and tails more accurate...but it can be made to shoot heavier bullets with greater accuracy.  

I have a Remmy target model that will shoot honest 2" groups at 25 yards...and then sometimes it won't...but that's not the gun's fault.

Being a pagan that I am, I have cheated and found 777 to be the most accurate powder in my C&B revolvers.  Perhaps it's because of the faster ignition time.  

I have a Pietta Navy .36 that will place 4 balls inside 2" at 20 yards...but there are two chambers that open it up to 3 inches.  That gun has accounted for a few squirrels taken with head shots!  Of course I limit my squirrel taking to 10 yards!  

I have an ASM 1860 that will keep all its balls inside 3" at 25 yards!  

So, in reality, the most accurate isn't always necessary.  Given each guns eccentricities, they can all be made to shoot very well indeed!  The Remmys are the best for target work, but the Colt style pistols are natural pointers!  I have regulated the notches in the hammers of my Colt copies and they shoot point of aim now.

Dan C

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 05:57:01 AM »
Sorry Dan, I've owned two ROAs and shot others and properly loaded from a solid position they would all stay easily inside 2" at 25yd.  Flyers have not been a problem.  My old blue ROA will consistantly come close to one ragged hole depending upon pilot error.  Both CleanShot and Goex 2F are capable in this piece.  The Italians, as you've seen, are inconsistant with dimensions.  That's why you speak of "off" chambers.  I've not seen that with the ROA.  Many folks don't practice enough to become accustomed to the larger frame and weight and feel more confident with the lesser pieces.  I've played with cap n ball since the late '60s and when it comes to consistantcy, there is no contest.  The Italians can't seem to make it.  Fun yes, consistant, no.  Not a flame, just my experience.

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
ROA vs Italy
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 11:47:38 AM »
My only experience with a ROA was years ago and I was more impressed with its power over its accuracy.  I just wish it were more authentic!

Dan C

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 01:54:53 PM »
If I just want to plink around or feel nostalgic, out come the replicas.  If I want to hit every time or want to hunt when I'm too lazy to sit at the loading bench, out comes the ROA.  Heck, at pistol ranges, it will handle everything up to small deer.  I just wear it in a Bianchi X15 under my coat and hardly notice it.

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
ROA vs Remmy
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 02:37:14 PM »
I should point out my target remmy will do 2" groups at 25 as well...when I'm shooting good.

Dan C

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Ruger Old Army chambers
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 07:50:39 AM »
I have two stainless Old Armys with "off" chambers and know of a blued one with the same condition.  Shine a light down the barrel and the chambers do not line up with the barrel.

Offline 1860

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 05:50:41 PM »
I think if one were able to work up loads & shoot 10 examples of each of the different makes/models, you would find that on average, the Ruger was the most accurate, also the ugliest :lol: .  That being said, the most accurate revolver I've owned and there have been many, is a cheaply made Navyarms 51 Navy.  I would be lucky to get a couple hundred rounds through that gun with out something going wrong but it produced the tightest bench groups I've seen from a C&B.

To answere the original poster, it's really a crap-shoot with the repros as far as getting an accurate gun, a good place to start is a well made Remington - (2nd ugliest gun :wink:)- , just get an 1860 and have fun.

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2004, 05:02:56 AM »
Pietta makes two classes of 1858 Remington copies. Their standard version is comparable with every other copy. They also make a revolver for competition shooting.

Barrel is gaining twist, different land & groove dimensions.

Cylinder significantly tighter tolerance, different chamber dimensions.

Lock work exceptional trigger, crisper than any revolver I've handled except a 1950s-era Colt Python. Lock work not interchangeable with standard version.

Fixed sights are special for international competition.

This special version is available in carbon steel alloys and stainless steel. I bought mine in stainless steel when this option was not available in USA. I believe stainless is now available from several vendors.

This specific variation won the international ML competition in 1996. I have not kept track of its success since buying in 1997.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Bowhunter57

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2004, 09:43:22 AM »
Thank you for the informative replies, gentlemen!

Sounds like I need to take a longer look at the Ruger Old Army and stainless would be one of my preferences in a finish.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein