Author Topic: "Unloading" a Cap&Ball Revolver?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline whitfang

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
"Unloading" a Cap&Ball Revolver?
« on: June 26, 2004, 07:03:14 AM »
I'm interested in getting a cap&ball revolver (my first) which will probably be a Ruger Old Army 45.

In reviewing the last several hundred posts on this forum, I've uncovered a lot of good info, such as the use of Wonderwads.

One thing I didn't discover was how to "unload" a revolver in case of a misfire or a no-powder load.

Can a ball-puller be used as in a muzzleloading rifle?  Or a CO2 discharger?  Or remove the nipple and force it out somehow?
Encore / Mathews / Rem870 / Savage 10ML

Offline simonkenton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
"Unloading" a Cap&Ball Revolv
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 08:14:57 AM »
Yeah, you could just unscrew the nipple and push the load out with a little screwdriver. I had to do that once.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 10:21:37 AM »
After removing the nipple you could also dribble some powder into the chamber. Then reseat the ball, cap and fire. If the ball was already in the barrel, DON'T FIRE IT OUT! Pop the cylinder out and knock the ball back out with a cleaning rod.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 02:59:31 PM »
Believe it or not, I've actually seen a nipple removed and replaced with a zirk fitting..... then they pumped the ball out with a grease gun !!!!
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 02:42:50 AM »
My solution is more woodworking oriented, and had to take it home to do it.  A wood screw easily penetrates the lead ball, and a claw hammer pulls the screw and ball when the cylinder is mounted in a vice with wooden or plastic grips.  

So far I've only had to do this twice, in over 30 years of shooting.  Once learned, twice shy.  

Wayne
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline Pogue

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 09:02:10 AM »
CO2 would be the preferred NMLRA way.  

BTW, I saw someone mention about making sure the barrel is unobstructed.  I had a friend who once forgot to put the powder in.  The cap alone forced the ball halfway down the barrel.  He didn't think and shot the next round with spectacular results!  Banana peeled the barrel like in a Bugs Bunny-Yosemite Sam cartoon!  Luckily, no one was hurt, and a replacement barrel for a  '51 Navy is relatively inexpensive.

Offline Sundown Holly

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 04:45:20 PM »
I like to use a small wood dowel. I unscrew the nipple and pour out the powder and then tap out the ball using the small wood dowel  and a small hammer or even a rock.  I have found that if I use something metal to tap out the  ball I can inadvertainly scratch the inside of the chamber.

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 08:22:29 PM »
There's some neat ideas I didn't think about.  :-)
I usually just inscrew the nipple and stick a narrow screwdriver into the cylinder.  It's true you can scratch the chamber walls if not careful, but if you do it enough times, you kinda get a feel for it.   :shock:  :oops:
Singing Bear