Author Topic: Which one did I buy?  (Read 625 times)

Offline sfm

• Trade Count: (0)
Which one did I buy?
« on: June 24, 2004, 09:01:44 AM »
Hello all, I just found this forum and just bought an H&R.  I don't know  a lot about them so I have a couple of questions.  I bought the rifle used from the local gun store.  It came with two bull barrels, one 24" .223 marked "ULTRA" that came on the gun.  The other barrel is a 22".243  that is marked "Pardner Handi Rifle".  I am just wondering if the rifle itself is a Handi Rifle or an Ultra Hunter or Varmint.  Is there any way to find out?

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Which one did I buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 10:21:00 AM »
Are the last three digits of the receiver serial number etched in both barrel lugs? If so, both barrels were fitted at the factory.

If the serial number starts with "H", it's probably a .223 H&R Ultra Varmint.
If the SN starts with "N", I'd guess it's probably a .243 NEF Survivor.

The Ultra would have come with checkered laminated wood stocks.
The Survivor comes with a synthetic thumbhole (fisthole?) stock and flat bottomed synthetic forearm with storage compartments in both stocks.

Offline sfm

• Trade Count: (0)
Which one did I buy?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 10:19:36 AM »
I apologize that it has taken so long to reply.  Things get a little hectic around here.  I often miss the bygone days where all I had to worry about was where I was going to get the money for another brick of .22's and a box of shotgun shells.

Thank you for the info. It looks like it is the Ultra Varmint .223, and I am relieved that the other barrel was fitted at the factory.  I still haven't shot it yet as all of my guns at this time have iron sights and this one only has scope mounts, hence I do not have a scope.  It is a beautiful rifle though with a wonderful trigger.  I do not know how the factory triggers are but this one is smooth as butter.

Thanks for your patience with the ignorant ones :?  I appreciate the knowledge that you all share so freely.