Author Topic: Hunt of a life time II  (Read 688 times)

Offline truckie

• Trade Count: (0)
Hunt of a life time II
« on: June 27, 2004, 04:19:10 PM »
I did not ask a good question . What I meant was, If you saved for a special trip ( Canada , out west  etc) that did not contain dangerous game would you reach for a handi or use a different fire arm . I have a handi and really like it  but if I were to spend a bundle on a hunt  should I opt for a bolt action or is the reliability of the handi good enough

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
Hunt of a life time II
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 05:00:40 PM »
I have a handi and really like it but if I were to spend a bundle on a hunt should I opt for a bolt action or is the reliability of the handi good enough

The question then is;  is your Handi good enough?  Have you done a lot of range time with it?  Does it eject reliably?  Is it accurate at probable shooting distance on your planned hunt?  Have you carried it in the field to do some casual shooting to double check you and the guns performance under actual field conditions?

I have two handi rifles.  One 223 and one 30-30.  The 223 will occasionaly fail to eject.  I've tuned it to the point where it is no longer the fault of the rifle if it does not eject, but I've been know to let a bit too much oil get into the action and it will find it's way to the chamber.  Result, stuck case.  No problem if shooting Pdogs or ground squirrels but could be a disaster if a second (not even a quick second) shot is needed on a big game hunt.  The 30-30 ejects like a sub spitting out a polaris rocket!! :-)   It used to be that only a BB gun would "put your eye out", but now there is the Handi 30-30 that could do it too. :)

I would carry that 30-30 on any big game hunt where the shot would be 100 yards or less on game up to and including elk.  When I was 12 years old, my grandfather showed me how to carry a single shot shotgun with one or two shells between the fingers of the left hand.  He could shoot, pop the single open, reload and get a shot at a second grouse rising behind the first one that had not yet hit the ground.  I'm not that fast but it shows how practice and dedication (as well as not being able to afford a repeater) can give pretty good results.

What I'm really trying to convey is that if you make a choice to hunt with your Handi and you allow yourself plenty of practice you will probably do just fine.  The problem most hunters seem to have is that they don't think of their practice as training.  For most, practice means going to the range once or twice a year and shooting 20 or 30 rounds from the bench.

I'll tell you two stories and then get my fingers off the keyboard. :-)

1.  When I was a young guy and home on leave from the army my dad and I went mule deer hunting on the west slope of Colorado.  I had alwasy been a hunter and shooter ever since I was 10 years old.  However, after being in the army for a while and doing exstensive training with the rifle from all the various battle positions my field shooting had improved more than I realized.  I had topped a small hill early in the morning walking in five inches of fresh snow.  I looked across a draw and saw three nice mulie bucks sillouetted clearly against the snow on the hillside about 150 yards away.  The next thing I knew I was looking at the largest of the three laying dead in the snow while the other two fled up the gulch.  Without thought or planning I had dropped straight to the ground to the crosslegged sitting position with the rifle to my shoulder and almost immediatley sighted and shot.  That was all about practice (training) and familiarity with my rifle.

2.  A couple years ago I took a family member with me on a whitetail hunt on the eastern plains of CO.  We had doe tags for a particular ranch.  I carried my 270 Ruger that had been my primary big game rifle on many hunts.  I had another rifle that my partner could have used and should have used since he had used it extensively while shooting with me.  He had also used my Ruger extensively.  He had however fallen under the spell of his brother in law who insisted that he would be better off borrowing his 6mm rem slide action.  They went out and shot a few round with it and that was the rifle he carried that day.  It was just barely light and we came up on a small water hole in a dry creek bed and there were three does about 100 yards out.  I wanted him to get a deer since it would be his first so I told him we would try to each shoot a deer at the same time.  Then commenced the fumbling with the borrowed rifle.  There  seemed to be no way that he could get a round in the chamber.  It got to the point where he was actually down on the ground battleing with it.  I told him to take my Ruger and go for it which he did and made a perfect shot on the biggest doe in the bunch.  Naturally the other two fled before he could hand the rifle back to me, but that was no big thing.  Mainly I wanted him to have a first success.  That was all about lack of practice and familiarity with the rifle.

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
handi rifle on a hunt
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 05:13:21 PM »
Longcruise don't worry bout long post, you spoke the true facts,
 those that don't do much shooting will pay attention.
 I havn't seen any post from you latly, You or your compuyer been
sick or sumrthing? Take care shoot straight. Marv.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Hunt of a life time II
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 02:03:53 AM »
truckie

Yes, without a doubt, I would use my same Ultra 22" 45-70 on non-dangerous game as well.   8)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Hunt of a life time II
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 05:06:56 AM »
In my case ..no...I wouldn't...I don't have a acceptable hunting load worked up yet...when I do...there would be no reason to use a different rifle...single shots work fine in hunting non-dangerous game...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
Hunt of a life time II
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 07:00:20 AM »
Nope, I have several other rifles I would choose on a hunt of a lifetime before I'd even consider my handi's.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Hunt of a life time II
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 07:25:40 AM »
For a hunt of a lifetime I have to admit I'd have to grab my weatherby chambered in .270.  For me it would be trophy whitetail or mule deer hunt.

However, if you changed from "hunt of a lifetime" to "hunt for a lifetime" my answer for whitetail here in Iowa (shotgun only) is NEF Ultra Slug 20 and when the weather is really bad my NEF Pardner 12.  Hunting out of state my weatherby will kill very few deer.  However, though my lifetime, my NEF's should fill alot of tags here at home.

Which is more important (ie what to spend $$$ on), your "hunt of a lifetime" rifle or your "hunt for a lifetime" rifle?

Just something to knaw on.  :wink:

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Hunt of a life time II
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 08:33:22 AM »
Scuffy:

Good point indeed.Every hunt really could be classified as a " Hunt of a Lifetime" if we cared too.Every time we go afield to pursue our quarry...we are living in the "Now" and must take advantage of it.It's nice to daydream of giant elk..or large racked whitetails or mulies and what rifle we should use to do it...that's part of our make-up as hunters and also as Handi owners....

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
Hunt of a life time II
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 11:09:30 AM »
:D    Marv, I'm well and kickin.  Weather is too nice to spend too much time on the puter.  It's a great time of year to hit the range and there are several matches coming up that need to be prepared for.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Hunt of a life time II
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 11:28:27 AM »
I'll know July 6th if we get drawn for elk tags in NM.  That WILL be hunt of a lifetime.  For that the Handi will be a backup gun if it goes.  The main gun?  My savage 30-06 bolt.  Main reason at this time really is I don't have acaliber suitable for elk and would not have enough time (more than likely) to get one and shoot it enough to trust it.

Mu 223 Ultra has never failed me yet but a 223 is a LITTLE light for elk.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!