Author Topic: fit to bore  (Read 478 times)

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
fit to bore
« on: July 07, 2004, 05:05:14 AM »
What results could I expect from a bullet that is too large or small for my bore?

I'm using a .309" Saeco 196gr GC in a  Savage model 11 308 Win.  I'm thinking I'd like to try a .310" sizer.  What might I see, if it does/doesn't work.  I hate to shell out the 25$ if I'm at the best already.

This is a lighter weight rifle (off the rack) that will occasionally shoot into an inch.  More typical, however, is the 2-2.25" ten shot groups (100 yards) that I fired several of on Monday.

Thanks,
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline 45 2.1

• Trade Count: (0)
fit to bore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 07:22:49 AM »
Try a .310" or .311", your rifle will probably group better. The larger groups are a sign of a too small bullet for the rifles throat.

Offline cukrus

• Trade Count: (0)
fit to bore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 07:55:07 AM »
As I recall this is a bore riding bullet.  Fit to bore has to do with how well the nose fits - has nothing to do with the sizing die. So what size is the nose of the bullet?  If it fits the muzzle snugly you're in luck, if it's loose it won't support the bullet, if it's too tight you may have trouble chambering the round or extract the bullet when you extract an unfired  round.
As to the size of the body, the general recommendation is 0.001" over groove diameter.   Before I'd spend for a trail and error supply of sizing dies I'd make a  "free"  lead slug or cast of the throat.

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Saeco Bullet in 30-06
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 06:54:50 PM »
Your plain barreled rifle should shoot cast bullets very well.  I'm not sure if the bullet that you described is a Saeco #301 or not.

I have the #301 and mine casts out to about 200 grains with gas check.  It is a bore riding bullet (dog dick).  Get ready to laugh.  I shoot that bullet in my Remington 742 Semi-auto rifle.  I engage the lands with the bullet and have no trouble extracting it if needed.

By the way, don't clean your barrel with any solvents after shooting Cast Bullets.  You want to season the barrel like the old iron skillet used to require.  Wipe it with a dry cloth and if you must due to moisture, run a patch with Rem-Oil, Kroil oil or Break-free through it.

Put 25 grains of Reloader 7 behind the bullet and you will be surprised, I hope.  I have gone up to 35 grains of Reloader 7 in an effort to reach 500 meter rams and I did it.  The chronographed velocity of the 35 Grain load at 2176 fps and it would take the 55 pound rams 90% of the time.  The extra powder and recoil was not worth it.  WE just set the rams slightly off their pads (light set) and knock the crap out of them.

I put in an order for a 4 cavity in the #310 and it took so long that in the mean time I loaded up the Saeco #315, a 173 grain tapered bullet, and I had such good luck with it, I cancelled the order.

With the saeco #315 bullet, I put 25 grains of Reloader 7 behind it for a chronographed 1876 fops average with an extreme spread of 19 fps.  I load all my stuff on a dillon progressive machine.

I used to shoot a model 671 (I think that is the #) Winchester with the Saeco #315 with 11 grains of IMR ser 7625 powder and it would print paper under an inch without fail.  I did it many times.

I had a bar Browning that would not shoot under and inch and a half no matter what I did for it.

I size all my bullets to .310".  I've tried making a  bore casting and the likes.  Never came out right so that I could even guess what the size was.  I just shoot a .310 bullet and it either works or it doesn't.

Try the 25 grains of Reloader 7 behind your current .309 bullet and I think you will be surprised.

If you get any leading, lets talk about firelapping your barrel with the cast bullets.  

Harold Clark