Author Topic: 8-shot too big?  (Read 715 times)

Offline redawg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
8-shot too big?
« on: May 24, 2004, 12:53:49 PM »
I'm looking for a good snake load for my 45 Long Colt.  Is no. 8 shot too big?  Anybody use shot this big?  I've been told to watch for rattlesnakes where I shoot prairie dogs, so I want something up to the task!  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Offline Savage

8-shot too big?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 02:39:23 PM »
I use #9 shot. No reason why #8 or even 7 1/2 wouldn't work almost as well. The advantage of the smaller shot is higher shot count. That's really important in a rifiled barrel where efective patterns are limited to little more than handshake distances.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
8-shot too big?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 06:05:51 PM »
I load shot shells for my acp and up until now used #8 shot. Picked up some #12 and wow what a difference. As a example if you shoot a 2 ft square cardboard box with the 8's it perferates it pretty well but the 12 shot will flip it over. More Wackability for old rattlebutt! :)

Offline Savage

8-shot too big?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 02:29:16 AM »
Duffy,
I have had good results with the #12 shot too. You really get good coverage with it! The only downside is the lack of penetration beyond 6 feet or os. I finally settled on the #9 as a good compromise between the 7 1/2 and the #12.
Savage

Offline redawg

• Avid Poster
8-shot too big?
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 04:52:27 PM »
Thanks for your responses!

Do you guys think #12 shot would be adequate to kill rattlesnakes?  I've used shot capsules in my .22 once on a garter snake in my basement.  I was only one step off the basement floor and still needed to finish it with a shovel.  I think this was loaded with #12.  I realize there would be a difference in shot capacity between a .22 and a .45, but there is also a big difference between a garter snake and a rattlesnake :wink: .  

I plan on taking these loads out and patterning them before trusting them.  Anyway, thanks again!

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
8-shot too big?
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 07:45:44 PM »
Savage, I'm getting pretty good penetration with the 12's although the 9's work well too. In the ACP shot shells they are doing about 1300 fps and when I said that it flip's the box over that's at about 15+feet. At 25 feet the pattern is a little better than 24" So at 6 feet it's Buzztail Burger, yummm. :) :) I think using the 410 shot cups helps hold the pattern together a bit better than the capsules and beings they are smaller than the bore they don't spin as much either.  I just know them babies work....

Ryan

Offline Savage

8-shot too big?
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 04:14:04 AM »
Duffy,
Excellent pattern man!! Using the "Speer Shot Capsules" in the 2" 38, there is no pattern past 10'. Quite lethal up close though! I have loaded shot rounds for the 45 ACP using gas checks over and under the shot load without very good results.I don't mess with shot loads in handguns much anymore, but I would be interested in your process for the ACP. Sounds like it might be a good skeet load!! :)  :)
Savage

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
8-shot too big?
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »
Savage,
Many moons ago I stumbled across a set of RCBS shot shell dies for the ACP. They were priced about 30 bucks below what I had ever seen them for so I snapped them up. You basicly end up with the same shell that CCI sells. Take 308, 708 brass saw it off, reform it, size it, prime it, stuff 6.3g of 231 in it. Insert a Rem 410 wad down tight on the powder and cut off the excess. Add around 110g of shot, top off with a plastic over shot cover made from paper protectors and crimp. The only problem I've had is if the gun isn't clean as in having lead in the throat the shell sometimes won't extract. What is cool about these is that they will feed from the clip!  There was a test in a old NRA magazine where they actually took rabbits and grouse with them but were using 8 shot also. I'll see if I can find the article.

Ryan

Offline Savage

8-shot too big?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 08:08:56 AM »
Duffy,
Yeah!! I had forgotten about the old RCBS die set for shotshells!! Think I'll check out the web site to see if they're still available. I can see all sorts of posibilities for some trick shots for some of my unaware friends!
Sneaky devil aren't I?
Thanks,
Savage

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
8-shot too big?
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 06:21:03 PM »
Heh, heh, heh! :)
Midsouth still show's em.
Just remember not to go over 7 1/2 shot or they may stick in the chamber. The front part that is necked down actually enters the rifling a bit. That's why they stick if the bores dirty.
Have fun!!!

Offline alpacker

.45 auto shot cartridges
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 09:06:52 AM »
Make sure to use .308 Win cartridges instead of the 30/06.
The extractor groove on the 308s is wider and friendlier to the .45 pistol extractor. The 30/06s can break the pistol extractor lip off if the shell sticks after firing.

If they do stick, back off a tenth of a grain at a time till they eject.
Higher pressure makes the shell expand into the rifling causing it to stick.This is just the opposite of what you'd expect since you think higher pressure should blow the case free, but that is not true in this instance.
Lower pressure alloows the case to slide free and eject.

I use no12 shot called 'dust' from the catalog sales mag "CHEAPER THAN DIRT"
Was 34 dollars for a 25 pound bag of shot, but its enough for a lifetime and I never need order another.

The no.12 shot produces more coverage and will shred snakes up to 15 feet.
I like the smaller shot since bounce-back it loses velocity.
I had no.7 shot stuck in my forehead and upper arm to the depth of the shot and ricochette off eyeglasses.
This load should always be shot as a bank shot like in pool away from you.
And never aim into a corner or you will blast yourself-guaranteed!

Be safe and wear shooting glasses.

Offline J Henkle

8-shot too big?
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 04:14:57 PM »
I make snake loads for a 41 mag.  I use the 410 shot cup and small amounts of H110.  Fill to with in 1/16th" or so and cap with a dose of hot glue.  When it cools I put a slight crimp on the case mouth.

Note if you use to little powder, the primers will back out (revolver lockup).  I think I use 2-3grs, doesn't take much to put down a snake at 4'.  Now if I was dealing with rattlers, I would be jacking the powder charge up!

The hot glue make a nice and quick cap.  Water proof, cheap and you can use regular dies and no need to by plastic cups.

I'm sure this method would work with other calibers....

Good luck, jh