Author Topic: $ 20 dollar Rifle  (Read 751 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
$ 20 dollar Rifle
« on: June 26, 2004, 02:31:41 PM »
Yea I know its not a Marlin and No Gang was not at a Rummage sale! (Had to add that as I am a rummage sale addict.)   :)  :)  :)   Went to the gun show today did not find anything of interest and stopped at the local gun shop afterwards. There was a Savage/Springfield Model 187R in the rack with a sign on it that said. Parts gun does not fire and a tag that said 35 bucks. Well I like to tinker with guns so I told the owner since it does not fire and needs some attention if you sell it to me for 20 bucks I will buy it. Well she did and I took it home with me. Now after looking at it I thought geez it looks all there and when you pull the trigger it goes click so I could not take it any longer into the truck with some shells and headed for the out skirts of town. I have no idea what they thought as it fires fine. Had a few hangups but I figure a good cleaning will take care of that. When I bought it I figured probably a fireing pin replacement but she fires them right off. Guess I got LUCKY today! The darn thing looks like it will shoot fairly accuate too from what I seen. Did not put it on paper yet just did a function test and ran about 30 rounds through it.   :wink:  :wink:   Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline RaySendero

$ 20 dollar Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 05:06:29 PM »
Congrads on the good luck - Its good to hear of good buys even if someone else gets it!  Let us know how it cleans up and groups.
    Ray

Offline Dali Llama

Re: $ 20 dollar Rifle
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 02:20:12 AM »
Quote from: jh45gun
Yea I know its not a Marlin and No Gang was not at a Rummage sale! (Had to add that as I am a rummage sale addict.)   :)  :)  :)   Went to the gun show today did not find anything of interest and stopped at the local gun shop afterwards. There was a Savage/Springfield Model 187R in the rack with a sign on it that said. Parts gun does not fire and a tag that said 35 bucks. Well I like to tinker with guns so I told the owner since it does not fire and needs some attention if you sell it to me for 20 bucks I will buy it. Well she did and I took it home with me. Now after looking at it I thought geez it looks all there and when you pull the trigger it goes click so I could not take it any longer into the truck with some shells and headed for the out skirts of town. I have no idea what they thought as it fires fine. Had a few hangups but I figure a good cleaning will take care of that. When I bought it I figured probably a fireing pin replacement but she fires them right off. Guess I got LUCKY today! The darn thing looks like it will shoot fairly accuate too from what I seen. Did not put it on paper yet just did a function test and ran about 30 rounds through it.   :wink:  :wink:   Jim
Dali Llama say this exemplify ancient Tibetan proverb that good fortune follow man who be pure of heart. :-)  8)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline jh45gun

$ 20 dollar Rifle
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 11:06:04 AM »
:)  :)  :)  :roll:  :shock:  :eek:

Offline Dali Llama

$ 20 dollar Rifle
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 04:47:56 PM »
:)  :)  :)  :roll:  :shock:  :eek:
Dali Llama suggest that jh45gun should not cover his lamp with basket. :-)

Offline jh45gun

$ 20 dollar Rifle
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 06:14:27 PM »
8)

Offline Dali Llama

$ 20 dollar Rifle
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 03:14:51 AM »
8)

Offline jh45gun

$ 20 dollar Rifle
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 11:52:50 AM »
Well cleaned and shot my 20 dollar rifle again today (Springfield 187R) and found out some interesting quirks. Highspeed Longrifles ( Federal HP bulk) would jam about every other shot a lot of the time or it would work some of the time and then jam. I did have it double a couple of times and jam. I tried some Highspeed shorts in it and they worked great semi auto I could fill up the tube (22 shots ) and empty the tube any way I shot it slow or as fast as I could pull the trigger and not a jam not one through a full box of shorts. So if your Savage 6 or Springfield 187 or Stevens 87 jams and does not like long rifles give the shorts a try. I am also going to try the Aquila SSS in them and see how they work not sure if it is the short case or overall short length. The SSS is as long as a LR so maybe it will not work, but I am going to try them will post resulsts when I do. Jim

Offline Dali Llama

$ 20 dollar Rifle
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 12:43:27 PM »
Well cleaned and shot my 20 dollar rifle again today (Springfield 187R) and found out some interesting quirks. Highspeed Longrifles ( Federal HP bulk) would jam about every other shot a lot of the time or it would work some of the time and then jam. I did have it double a couple of times and jam. I tried some Highspeed shorts in it and they worked great semi auto I could fill up the tube (22 shots ) and empty the tube any way I shot it slow or as fast as I could pull the trigger and not a jam not one through a full box of shorts. So if your Savage 6 or Springfield 187 or Stevens 87 jams and does not like long rifles give the shorts a try. I am also going to try the Aquila SSS in them and see how they work not sure if it is the short case or overall short length. The SSS is as long as a LR so maybe it will not work, but I am going to try them will post resulsts when I do. Jim
Dali Llama say he glad jh45gun have decent experience with $20 rifle. :grin:

Offline jh45gun

$ 20 dollar Rifle
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 05:01:50 PM »
Well Dali it was not as well as I would have liked as I would have liked a better expirience with the long rifles but if it only shoots shorts good  semi auto for 20 bucks fine with me. Otherwise like I posted before for 20 bucks I can shoot it single shot ect. All I have to do is load the tube and if it does not cycle a round right I will cycle it manually. Jim

Offline Dali Llama

$ 20 dollar Rifle
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 01:46:48 AM »
for 20 bucks I can shoot it single shot ect. All I have to do is load the tube and if it does not cycle a round right I will cycle it manually.
:grin:  :grin:  :grin: