Author Topic: Broken Chrony ???  (Read 789 times)

Offline 22KHornet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Broken Chrony ???
« on: June 30, 2004, 04:03:31 AM »
OK I finally got to shoot some of the 180 grn and 200 grain bullets that I had loaded for the max.  I used 21 grains of lil gun powder (the same as I use for the hand cannons) for both bullets and took them to the farm to shoot through dads chrony.  I averaged about 2350 fps for the 180 grn bullet with a high of 2394 fps and around 2300 fps with the 200 grn bullet.  This is alot more than I was expecting to get out of the max rifle.  Also this was not just a few test rounds, I went though almost 30 rounds of ammo.  My question is what have other people been getting out of the max I would start to think the chronograph was haywire if it was only a couple of rounds but????
I must be crazy.

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Broken Chrony ???
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 04:50:43 AM »
22khornet,

I normally check the velocity readings of my chrony with Federal Match .22LR.  It has the velocity posted on the box and you should get a reading that is relatively close to what they post.  Barrel length and other factors may keep it from being exactly what they got, but it will catch any gross errors in the chrony.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Broken Chrony ???
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 06:10:01 AM »
Yep:

You have to have a control round of known velocity whenever using it...if velocities are well above the normal...and all other things are the same as Paul said...barrel lenght..ammo..and such...your probably running to hot a load...they may be consistant on velocity...but given all of the published data from both the bullet and powder manufactures..if you load is barely under or at max..it's probably to hot for your gun. This is how you test your load without having a pressure test barrel or  the proper equipment to check it.....check your Chrony with  a load of "known" velocity,preferably a factory load...that way you can be sure.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Broken Chrony ???
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 06:21:25 AM »
Did the brass show any high pressure signs?  If not and it shoots accurate you might have a very nice deer load (edit: for outta state...  :cry: )!  :D

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Broken Chrony ???
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 09:39:50 AM »
2300 for the 200gr is well above factory loads for the 35 Rem.  My marlin clocked factory 200gr loads at 2050.  You are at 356 Win speeds there.  Hope it's accurate.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
Broken Chrony ???
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 01:24:35 PM »
First of all I have been loading the max for 6 or 7 years and yes I have had some high pressure with the win 296 so I know what to look for, no rings on the cases, split cases, or backed out primers.  As for this load I have been using it for about a year and a half in my contender and blackhawk with no problems.  My only problem is that I never chronographed those loads in the handguns.

My target was only set at about 35 yds for the chronograph test but with my reddot I had one ragged hole with a few fliers here and there but nothing that I would not consider truck hood or operator error.  I will have to try again this weekend while I am thrilled to have seen this kind of velocity from the max it is still about 300 fps faster than I expected, still not sure what to think on that.  I also plan to load about half a dozen rounds to the max listed load 22 grns and see how they work out, not that I will change anything of course :roll:
I must be crazy.

Offline JPH45

Broken Chrony ???
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 01:37:32 PM »
First I would double check the chrono with a known sample of 22 LR. Then I would clock another load you have used in past and know what velocity it makes. I suspect that your chronograph is whacked somehow. (how close is your muzzle to the machine???) I would be concerned with anyload that was getting 2300 fps from 200 grain bullets and the Max case, there simply isn't enough capacity to get there.

Hodgdon has a recal of lil gun going on, go to their website, www.hodgdon.com and read up on it, you may have some of that lot, I do not know the reasons for the recall.

I have not been able to break 1875 fps with 200 gria bullets from my 357 Max Handi, and I get a solid 2060 fps with the Hornady 180 XTP. While there is about a 300 fps gain in a rifle barrel over a pistol barrel, you are seeing a much higher order for sure.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
Broken Chrony ???
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 11:31:10 AM »
Thanks for the 22 idea guys I think I will try that.  I have to agree with JP the reason I posted was I thought that seemed way out there.  As for the lil gun I checked it out last year when I saw the recall on there web site, not the same batch.  I will try and give it another try this weekend and see how it does.  If a 22 will read right and I still have the 2300fps then I am really going to be scratching my head, and I guess just to be safe I better try out the contender to see what I get out of it, darn more shooting :grin:
I must be crazy.

Offline JPH45

Broken Chrony ???
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 11:48:33 AM »
Looks to me like 21 grains of lil gun is just about right for its burn rate, falling right in with H110, 296, 1680  and such, Try loading 20 grains and chronographing it. Next, do you have any AA1680. Quite a few of us are uisng that or the surplus version, and 26 grains pushes the XTP 180 at 2060 fps, and if I remember off hand 22 grians pushes a 200 griner at 1875 from my gun. If you have some and can chronograph some loads with it,  there is a better chance of being able to compare velocities to what others of us are getting and then your having a better idea of where the problem lies. Just a thought, JP

P.S. What kind of velocity spreads are you seeing?
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
Broken Chrony ???
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 12:49:00 PM »
I got into the lil gun for the simple reason of pressure.  When I looked at there web site I noticed that I could get the same velocity in my khornet with a lot less pressure ?  I am not sure how much to believe but I do not have the pressure signs I had with the 296.  

Velocity spreads are my next concern.  While I was chalking it up to my cheap lee powder dispenser there may be other problems.  I did have a few that dropped down into the 2100 rangen (200 fps is a BIG drop in my mind).  My best rounds turned out to be the cheapest bullets I had.  I loaded up some Reminton 180's and they were the most consistant (not sure if I did a better job crimping or what)  I have loaded up some more and used my scale and powder trickler instead of just assuming that the dispenser was accurate load to load :?  

Hope I get a chance this weekend to try these idea's out, not that Iowa will let me use it come deer season anyway :cry:
I must be crazy.

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Broken Chrony ???
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 05:13:00 PM »
22khornet,

I just looked at some of my notes and saw where I got 1820 fps with a 170gr Keith type cast bullet from Dry Creek Bullet Works, 18.0 gr Lil'Gun, CCI 400 and .357 brass.  I only get 1852 fps using the same load with a 158 gr XTP/HP.

Here's a site for the .360 Dan Wesson that shows 21.0 gr of Lil'Gun with a 180 XTP.