Author Topic: two part bullet  (Read 455 times)

Offline fffffg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
two part bullet
« on: July 02, 2004, 04:47:21 AM »
two people have recomended that i use a two part bullet in my drilling.. it is an option that i will consider.. my first option is to use hard cast becouse i have a long jump, i am told becouse it reduces pressure in the small breach of the drilling..  this makes for stripping for hunting hardeness bullets..  when i shot into a dirt bank three rounds they all turned sideways and this may be the way the bullet is designed so im going to check that out first..   but what are the ways of casting two part bullets? would two molds be best. one with  a nose mold that has a spike going into the 2nd pour which would be hard cast.. this will be a 200 grain .36 cal bullet..
montana!, home of the wolf,  deer,mtn goats,sheep, mountain lions, elk, moose and griz...

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
two part bullet
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 09:28:01 AM »
fffffg, dont know this ifin will help but  a bunch of years ago Lyman(I think) made a 2 part bullet mould. The base was for hard cast and the nose soft cast. You then epoxed them both to gather. Dont know what cals. they made them in or ifin you could even find one. Maybe a yard sale or e-bay.

Gun Runner

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
two part bullet
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 10:23:36 AM »
Just take your hard cast bullets, stand them upright in a shallow pan of cold water, then anneal the tips with some kind of torch.  You'll have to figure out on your own how much heat and for how long but that shouldn't take a real big bunch of your time.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
two part bullet
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 03:12:59 PM »
fffg I assume you already have the mold. Take a 9mm case (fired and with SPENT primer still in place)and shorten it so it holds about 50-75 grains of molten lead. Form a handle from stiff wire around the bottom of the case. You will need 2 pots of bullet alloy,1 hard and the other soft. Get the mold hot and the alloy hot.Fill the nose with the soft alloy,using the9mm dipper ,then immediately fill the mold with the hard alloy.It is easier done than said. Try not to slant the mold while filling or you might get a bullet heavier on one side. Lyman made 2 part molds some time ago ,but they were 357,44 &45 pistol bullets.
  I don't think these are really necessary for hunting as a straight wheel weight bullet is about 15 on the brinnel hardness scale.Almost a perfect compromise. They can be shot to 2000 fps with great accuracy.
    You can do this in reverse if you need a bullet to "slug up"to fill the bore, but still have a hard nose.  jh

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
two part bullet
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 06:17:51 PM »
A while back I had bid on a two part mold on ebay.  I didn't win it so I can't give any specifics as to how well it workes.  If I remember correctly it was either LBT or NEI.  The description said that you poured the nose section first and then placed that in the second mold and poured the hard stuff on top of that.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
two part bullet
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 12:30:07 AM »
I beleive Dan at mountain Molds will make you a to part mold. Personaly i never seen a need for it. To me cast bullets are for penetration Not expansion. fooled around a little with hollow point cast bullet to but never seen any difference in performance on game
blue lives matter