Author Topic: tried out a new gun today  (Read 649 times)

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
tried out a new gun today
« on: June 27, 2004, 12:59:21 PM »
Made it to the range today and shot a Para CCO, 3.5” barrel, with the new enlarged extractor. I only shot off handed at 15 yards. The sights were dead on and held consistent 7 shot 4” groups which I thought was fine for a short barreled 45 and off handed shooting. Rapid fire I managed to keep them on a piece of computer paper. Next time out I’ll try it off the bench and see what happens. Lock up is real tight, I feel sure the big groups are shooter error. Out of 200 rounds there was one failure to feed and this was the last round in the clip and it happened with in the first 3 clips. So far I’m satisfied and think this is a great little gun.

What size groups do you all find acceptable for a defensive handgun and at what ranges?

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline strider72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 02:24:59 PM »
5" at 25 yds. should be good enough for me. We are talking about combat handguns after all so 5" should be good enough to put the bad guys down, however most situations of that sort happen at 7 yds. (according to most published sources).

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 12:54:49 AM »
Free hand, seven rounds, rapid fire, fifteen yards, all on a sheet of printer paper. Thats pretty much the size of the boiler room ( heart-lungs ) on most people and plenty good enough for me, especially from a handy size weapon such as yours.  :grin:
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 12:59:29 AM »
Glad ya got one you like. I would be wary of even one FTF though it can be cleared up. Maybe it will break-in and this will stop but I would suggest the weapon be looked at by a smith, both the weapon and the mags and corrections made.
A weapon should be utterly reliable otherwise, well you know Murphy's law. Carry only reliable weapons, mags and ammo.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 03:48:02 PM »
Most of my guns are revolvers but I have a few autos as well. I agree that FTF are unacceptable but it seems to be inherent with autos. Of the few autos that I own: Beratta 92, Walther ppk/s, SW5906, Colt enhanced series 80 a few Browning high powers and the Para all of them but the High Powers have had FTF. There are too many things that can go wrong with an auto be it the clip or dirt or whatever they all will jam from my experience. I would think this is a common experience with other people. Since the Para has only had 200 rounds though it I’m not too concerned about the FTF but I wont be packing it around until I’ve shot it enough to be confident that it’s running right.

Thanks for your replies.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 10:32:17 AM »
Well I would agree to an extent, but only on 1911's, and those can be smithed to perfection-er,reliability wise that is.
I have a couple of Sigs that, out of the box have not hiccuped once. Change the barrel and they keeps on keepin on. I think there are some who would disagree but they can be fixed or I wouldn't keep em.
Wheelguns, rollers, if ya will, can do the same.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline strider72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 12:10:59 PM »
The only time my Glock 19 ever hiccuped was with aftermarket mags or the dreaded "2183 follower". Otherwise no problems of consequence.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 09:10:20 PM »
TScotto, congratulations on your new acquisition!  I would agree that any FTF is less than acceptable, but I wouldn't even think about relying on an autopistol that has less than 500 rounds thru it, and a thousand would make me feel even better.   Some guns (like the SIG's) are fine straight out of the box, but that's why you pay premium prices for them.  If you're shooting ball ammo and still having problems, then I'd worry, but you will know pretty quick what feeds and what doesn't.  My preference in 45ACP runs to Hydra-shoks and Gold Dots, but shot placement still counts most.  The more you practice, the better you'll feel about your new purchase.  Enjoy it and be safe!

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?