Author Topic: Luck with Groundhogs?  (Read 773 times)

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Luck with Groundhogs?
« on: June 26, 2004, 05:15:02 PM »
I was just wandering how everyone else's luck has been up to this point with the groundhogs.  I just got in tonight after a couple hour hunt, and managed to get 4 in one field I went to.  I ended up trading in my 308 survivor for a SS 223 Handi...and do have to admit that this rifle is a helluva lot sweeter than the superlight 223 I used last year...a lot steadier to hold on target, and much more consistent.  Farthest one today was 230 paces....but the groundhog was a young one, so I guess that is comparable to a mature hog at 300...haha!!  Anyways, lets hear about your luck in the Soybean Conservation Program :P .

~~~Cattleskinner

P.S.  I did manage to get one tonight with my Taurus 94 22lr revolver...but the grand total for me so far is 22 hogs in the week and a half I have been home from college.
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline marv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Where you been
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 06:02:41 PM »
Cattleskinner, So that where you've been off to college :D  Been missing you :grin:  :grin:  I don't know any thing about ground hogs,
Only P Dogs, Armodillos, But what I have heard they do a lot damage.
so get all you can they way I did it shooting P dogs I got 2 with 1 shot
at 300 long steps. useing trip duce. Good shooting Marv.

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Luck with Groundhogs?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 06:23:03 PM »
Marv,

I've been around, snooping in the shadows.  I haven't had a lot of time to post on here as much as the old site as I'd like...hopefully that will change since it's summer time.  It was pretty hectic with finishing last quarter, and just plain didn't have the time.  I'm going on my fourth year to finish a two year degree :? .  I guess that's what I get for changing my major twice, and being in the National Guard does to ya.  I leave here in another week and a half for Camp Grayling, MI for two and a half weeks, have a week off, then head to Camp Perry, OH. to do Force Protection for the NRA National Matches for two more weeks...should be fun.  Just as an aside, but how far do you live from Lawton?  I was there about two and a half years ago at Ft. Sill...nice place if you aren't in the military...definately a different place from Ohio.  Good to here from ya..and let's here from those other hog hunters.

~~~Cattleskinner

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Luck with Groundhogs?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 01:10:21 AM »
:D  :D  :D  the "whistlepig" AKA groundhog  hunting has been pretty good this year. now between too much overtime at work, and WAY too much rain/wind, the hunting times are kinda hard to come by. but over all it has been a good year for them. and the new 17hmr i have sure does knock the heck or of them under 150yrds, but for longer range stuff, the good old 243 sure does fill the bill nicely out to 300yrds. not that i find myself needing that kind of range very often. wow i got kinda carried away, YES the whistlepig hunting has been GOOD
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Luck with Groundhogs?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 06:04:23 AM »
Unfortunately the groundhog hunting around here been poor of late. It seems the population was cut so far back, that they need some breeding room. I guess I got a bit greedy in the past. :)  Groundhog is about my favorite type of hunting. It can be done from my backyard, in my leisure time, and is great  practice for whitetail season. Hopefully Papa groundhog is busy chasin' Momma.
Don

Offline jeff223

Luck with Groundhogs?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 08:40:52 AM »
i shot 3 of them so far.theese were shot close to my home.lots of fishing for me right now so shooting has slowed for me for a while

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
piggin!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 03:03:39 PM »
when it fially stopped storming here in ohio i have got 2 , been usein the 357 off of the sons 4wheeler , those 125 gr win.hollow points at 1800 sure open them pigs up at 50+yds hopefully i can get in some more real soon , heck most ofthe farmers only this past week got offthe first cut of hay

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Luck with Groundhogs?
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 07:11:00 PM »
Shaner,

I know what you mean about the storms!!!  I have a painting job to do on my buddy's house and his grandpa's barn, and we need 3 days of dry weather in order to start.  For a couple weeks there, it was good for 2 days, and the 3rd...you guessed it, rain.  This past week, most of the hay just got done w/ the first cutting around here too, and the beans, at least around here are anywhere from 5-10" or so tall.  Some fields are worse, again due to the rain...just plain couldn't get in the fields.  Where is it in north central Ohio do you live?  I'm actually between Bucyrus and Upper Sandusky just outside of a little town called Oceola.  Just wandering if you wanted to shoot some hogs if you got a day off.  I leave this weds. for two and a half weeks to camp grayling, Mi.  If your interested, let me know.  I still have a few fields that are full of hogs.

~~~Cattleskinner

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
cattleskinner
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 01:57:21 AM »
well i live down from u in just outside fredericktown , id be glad to come up an play,

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
to cattleskinner
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 02:58:01 AM »
hey shoot me an email when u get back
shaner6996@yahoo.com