Author Topic: Looks like a worm to me  (Read 832 times)

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Looks like a worm to me
« on: July 03, 2004, 04:14:45 PM »
Should be getting my 1/3rd scale 6 pounder barrel (1" bore) in from Gray-Star sometime next week.  In the meantime I'm starting to build the necessary loading tools.  Took a while to figure out the worm, but I think that it turned out fairly well.

A trip to the local welding shop for a 3/4" hose ferrel and a 1/8" x 36" bronze alloy brazing rod.  Wound the brazing rod around a piece of 3/8" brass pipe to form the worm then silver soldered it to the brass ferrel.  The ferrel will then be attached to a suitable length of 3/4" oak dowel.  The finished worm is just barely under 1" diameter so should be able to fish out aluminum foil remnants.

Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Looks like a worm to me
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 03:52:33 AM »
Looks pretty good.  I was going to get a spring and do the same thing.  I was going to use about 3 or 4 coils and stretch it a little.

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Looks like a worm to me
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 07:36:17 AM »
I'd thought about that also.... problem is that most hardware store springs are steel and therefore might scratch the steel bore liner.  Decided to go with the softer bronze for that reason.  Also, it is non-sparking as if that is really a concern.  Being 1/8" diameter will also be about the right size for making up a couple vent picks.... non-sparking IS a concern there.  Dirt cheap too.... the welding store sells it by the pound.... 8 sticks for $6.50.... sure won't ever need to buy it again.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Looks like a worm to me
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 11:28:11 AM »
Good point about sparks...the originals were iron. There nothing wrong with a little extra caution.

I definitely would make the gimlet out of brass.

Offline Calamity Jane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Looks like a worm to me
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 07:42:01 AM »
Sure looks a LOT better than mine (middle of the page http://www.geocities.com/diannebest/Cannon/Cannon10.html)

I used a piece of brazing rod and cleaned the flux off
Calamity Jane
SASS 40978L