Author Topic: LEAD FLUX  (Read 693 times)

Offline JCP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
LEAD FLUX
« on: July 07, 2004, 11:50:11 AM »
What do you guys flux your lead with?Is there anything you can use in an emergency like when you run out of your regular flux. Yea you guessed it. I've got the mold, the lead, I forgot the flux and I just can't wait.

Offline IntrepidWizard

LEAD FLUX
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 11:53:05 AM »
Crisco
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline John Traveler

lead flux
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 12:03:16 PM »
Any of the common household waxes and greases work as flux:

Crisco, beeswax, parafin, candle wax, lard, etc.

Stay away from rancid Crisco!  It stinks like crazy, and one time I had a coyote come right up the driveway to investigate the "food odor" of smoking Crisco!
John Traveler

Offline JCP

• Avid Poster
LEAD FLUX
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 01:22:30 PM »
Thanks for the help, I'll bet the parifin would burn if you get it to hot though.

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Flux
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 06:04:17 PM »
I too, have used many things to flux the lead pot with, but the best that I have found and used for 16 years now is GAR Flux.  It is designed specifically for bullet casting.  Contons no chemicles, paraffin or petroleum.  It does not catch fire or STINK.  Matter of fact, it smells rather pleasant.  That is, compared to most other flux stuff I've used.

Call GAR to order at 973-754-1114 for $5 for an 8 ounce jar.  It lasts for a very long time since you only use a small amount.  I have a new back up jar.

He sells them 3 for $12.50.

If you haven't heard of GAR before, call and ask for a catalog.  I bought molds and stuff from them 16 to 18 years ago.  The kid is now running the joint.  Their prices are better than most any place.  Anything you need pertaining to casting, they most likely have it.

Their Saeco 4 cavity molds sell for $87 each.  Midway, MidSouth and the others want $109 for the same mold.

The address is 590 McBride Avenue,
West Paterson, NJ  07424
Email: garreloading@aol.com

Offline JCP

• Avid Poster
LEAD FLUX
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 03:40:54 AM »
Thanks Harold Clark, I ordered a catalog today.
  Jack